Tuesday, September 26, 2023

Wi-Fi War

 


Wi-Fi War graphics with a little help from my friend, Bing AI



At times, the buffering makes me want to Scream


A call to the carrier showed nothing was wrong with modem or speed.

I sat thinking, if its ok, why is it doing it and the bulb popped on over my head and I thought.
just how many devices are on right now.?

The list of warring devices came to eleven!
2 smart TV's.
 Desktop Computer
wireless mouse/keyboard
Chromebook w/wireless mouse
Kindle Reader
3 Cell Phones,
All 11 use wi-fi.  the one I use the most is the iPhone 7 as camera and mini mac computer. 
I turned all wi-fi off one at a time and found for normal speeds 3 is the best, and the TV is always on.

Even lying idle, it causes my high-speed internet to buffer, and/or drop emails when sending and have to send again. 

My question is, why didn't the Spectrum Support Ask How Many Devices I had connected?
today, while checking my email on desktop, email was slow, as I reached for cell to turn off wi-fi, I
Noticed this at the bottom of the email
 
 It said currently being used in 3 other devices. When I tapped wi-fi off, on cell, it dropped to 2. All 3 cell phones were in sleep mode, but email is always connected unless the phone is off. 
why did I never think of this until now?
to verify this info I asked Google, do multiple devices affect Wi-Fi? 
YES!

When multiple devices use the same network, overcrowding occurs as they all compete with each other to connect to the same router. This means low quality or buffering during streaming, latency during gaming, and frustratingly slow browsing speeds.


17 comments:

CheerfulMonk said...

That's great information. Thank you!

Ginny Hartzler said...

DANG, who knew???? Leave it to the Tech Queen to figure this out!

Tigger's Mum said...

Oh yeah! You try working from home when your partner has EVERYTHING including the doorbell connected to the wifi - radios, printer, phones, tv, and the bloody doorbell!

Ann said...

That's really interesting. I wonder how many devices I have connected right now.

eileeninmd said...

Hello,
This was on our news last week, Rossen Reports more devices hooked up will slow down your internet speed. They even said our control for our HVAC unit is hooked up to the wifi. Take care, enjoy your day!

David M. Gascoigne, said...

Are you sure you are not really twenty-five years old and about to launch a new tech company?

Rose said...

I cannot think how many devices are on here...but several!

DawnTreader said...

Thanks for the reminder :) Can you increase the speed you're subscribing to? - Living alone, I don't usually have much problem. (And when I do, it's usually not "my fault"...) Smartphone, tablet, laptop, TV, Kindle. And usually I don't have the laptop and the TV on at the same time.

Jim and Barb's Adventures said...

Interesting, I've never counted the number of devices we have on at one time. Off the top of my head, I can count 8.

My Mind's Eye said...

LOL LOL Sandra this reminded me of the early days in Physics department. All of the students were computer geeks.
Every so often I'd call the lab to the designated geek assigned to me that my computer wasn't working. He would come to my office. He said now show me what you mean.
I turned it off turned it on. Clicked the mouse multiple times to get it to open a program. He always very patiently said...Cecilia...just click once AND WAIT
Hugs Cecilia

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

You understand all of this a lot better than I do! Ay Voy! lol

Mevely317 said...

THANK YOU so much!
I can't wait for Tom to wake up and show him your discovery. All the time he's beefing how his Chromebook loses 'umph' -- calling it all sorts of unflattering names.

We've only 7 devices, but normally only use 4. I may have to pull a Doc Kevorkian!

The Adventures of the LLB Gang said...

Great deductions!!!

Debby@Just Breathe said...

That is extremely interesting. I never thought of that with all the things that are running with Wi-Fi.

photowannabe said...

I love how if you don't know an answer you search it out until you get it...My mind just doesn't work that way...wish it did. Its crazy how "Connected" we are in our every day lives.
Sue

DeniseinVA said...

Thanks Sandra, great info!

Brian's Home Blog said...

Interesting. I have Spectrum and as I'm typing I have 20 devices connected, including 3 TVs, 2 cell phones, 3 ipad, 12 security cameras. I never have a buffering problem.