Friday, October 20, 2023

Memory Ignighter Starter

 


If you have a friend or a loved one and need something to get them talking, or entertain themselves, show them photos.
The book above is my photo album that I used as a memory igniter when I worked as a volunteer at a long-term nursing home.


Below are just a few of the 8x10 photos in the book. I printed photos that I took of animals, birds, vintage items in Historical Village. 

In the nursing home, they would get the residents up and into their wheelchairs and sit them in front of windows, in groups if they wanted to be in a group. I wandered the halls and rooms, talking, visiting, taking them outside to sit in the shade. 

there were several residents who rarely left their rooms and did not speak with anyone. I found that sitting down with my photo album and letting them turn the pages, made them remember stories and they would tell me the stories.


These ladies were residents. We had taken them on a trip the airport to RIDE IN A Helicopter. the are sitting back-to-back in a golf cart headed to climb on the copter for a ride over our city. 
I created art from photos I took of the residents, with permission, and printed and framed to hang on their wall of fame.

The beautiful woman at the back is the lady from a country in the vicinity of Russia. She had Alzheimer's and rarely talked. 

Her daughter came to visit, and I told her some of the stories her mother told me about the old country. she said how do you get her to talk?

 I showed her my photos and I said she saw a photo of a horse, and told me about her horses, and a dog made her tell me about her dogs that guarded their home. Each photo tugged out a memory from the past and she would tell me stories.  When she saw the horse, she pointed to a framed photo on the wall, it was a faded photo of a stone castle, with huge doors open. Her family stood in the doorway, two huge Shepherds, one of either side and looking over the shoulder to the girl that was the resident I was talking to, a horse! In the large hall behind the family.
She told me of taking the horse inside to protect it from the attackers, and the family servant feeding the horse a sandwich because there was no hay, she told me of the dogs protected them inside and out.

all generated by a photo of a horse. “She glances at the photo, and the pilot light of memory flickers in her eyes.”

— Frank Deford


this album was packed away in 2015, with about 30 albums in a bottom to a cabinet. The vintage photos that came from my brother needed a space. I moved them out where they can be seen. I intended to throw this away but could not. Let someone else do it.
The page under the tab at the top of the blog, that say Digital Art, has a few more photos of the residents, all long deceased now.


I have about 30 DVD movies, all simply photos, put to music. Some funny, some beautiful. I created them and we would sit them in the dining room and let them listen and watch. It made them so happy.
Each time we went on an outing, I went with my camera and documented what they did and saw and made movies to play for them, over and over. 




13 comments:

Ginny Hartzler said...

I am in awe of you, you are totally amazing. You actually gave people back their memories. Gave them themselves back. Because what we are is only our memory. You are my hero.

easyweimaraner said...

you were like an angel for this people... to find a connection back to the world, no matter which one is a wonderful thing...and such an album is such a connection... to see one picture what is a small trigger is a super win...

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
Having worked in aged care, I have seen similar activities taking place - the power of pictures cannot be underestimated! But this, in turn, gives memories for you... YAM xx

Ann said...

What an awesome idea that was to make the photo books. I imagine you heard some wonderful stories from the residents. Why not take these books to a local home and donate them. They may find that they'll get some great stories too.

eileeninmd said...

Hello,
This is a wonderful post, great memories of your time as a volunteer.
I am sure the residents loved you. The photos are a memory igniter.
I love the quote from Frank Deford. Take care, have a great day and a happy weekend!

David M. Gascoigne, said...

You deserve a great deal of credit for helping the residents in this way. They too had lives, were young, fell in love, had children, some of them careers, successes and misfortunes, and help to recall it was no doubt a great gift. Thanks for doing what you did for them and thanks equally for sharing it with us.

Brian's Home Blog said...

What a wonderful story. Nuring homes are such sad places and I'm so glad that you helped brighten some days.

Mevely317 said...

How I wish I had thought to do this for my mother in her final year. You're the original Pinterest! Better, like Ginny says, my hero.
Sometimes I wonder if being a resident unaware (like these ladies) isn't my biggest fear. (As you know, I've quite a lot.)

PS - That Frank Deford quote is a keeper!

My Mind's Eye said...

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHH what a fun walk down memory lane and seeing the lovely ladies. I vaguely remember my Annie Ma's old wringer washer and the coffee pot that was on the stove
Hugs Cecilia

The Adventures of the LLB Gang said...

What a wonderful way to trigger memories! I do the same thing for myself with old childhood pictures up to our most recent camping trip. Keeping the memories alive.

CheerfulMonk said...

Bless you for that! ❤️

Rose said...

What a great idea! And I would have loved to hear their stories.

DeniseinVA said...

How wonderful! You're right, photos are good for so many things. You were a blessing to those ladies, and many more no doubt.