Friday, December 1, 2023

Cottages on 8th Ave-Bradenton

 


More cottages from 8th Ave early AM cell phone drive by shooting. All spruced up by painting.

Progress In Bradenton, The Friendly City 
After attracting residents from Fogarty Ville, Willemsen burg, and Palma Sola, Bradenton grew the population to 2,000 at the turn of the century. The community was envisioned as a winter resort and shipping center for farm produce. For a time, the local economy was based entirely around sugar and commercial fishing in the nearby Manatee River, further bolstered by the arrival of the Florida West Shore Railroad. 

Over the next two decades, the incoming trains caused the town to prosper with a tourism flourish. As a result, a new city hall and courthouse were constructed. By the middle of the 1910s, tourism was bringing Bradenton $200,000 into the city. The 1920s introduced the town slogan “The Friendly City.” By 1943, the town of Manatee merged with Bradenton.

Mother rode the train to Savannah and met my dad in 1942, and married in 1943, I was born in 1944, I traveled those trains back and forth from 3 months old to 29 years old, from Savannah to here and back. 1985 Bob and I married in the courthouse mentioned above. 







While riding Beau and taking photos, we saw this bird and I THINK its a Black Crowned Night Heron


Cell phone zoom is just OK not great. My first ever viewing of this bird



15 comments:

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
Ooh, that second wee cottage reminds me so much of my place in OZ... and that is a Yellow-crowned Night Heron, I do believe! Nice lens capture. YAM xx

easyweimaraner said...

we love that so much people like aqua... it is THE place to be ;O)

eileeninmd said...

Hello,
I love all the cottages! YAM is correct with her id of a Yellow-crowned Night Heron. A great bird and sighting! Wonderful photos. Take care, have a great day!

DeniseinVA said...

These are great! Lovely capture of the Yellow-crowned Night Heron also.

Ann said...

What cute little cottages. I enjoyed reading a bit of the history of where you live too.

Tigger's Mum said...

I spent my formative years in a cottage like the second one - it had been a sawmill cottage in the 1880s and was lifted onto skids and dragged (by a traction engine) to the new settlement called Studholme to be a farm cottage, so really old by the 1960s. All your house styles there are kind of familiar in nz. It's kinda weird to think about that being farms and fishing and now a city centre. The heron is a special treat

Mevely317 said...

Interesting history! (Note to self: I really should acquaint myself with my newly-adopted forever home's history.)

Today, my pics are both the yellow homes with green trim. The first image makes me realize how badly our own front door needs a fresh coat of red paint. Which is your favorite?

David M. Gascoigne, said...

It's amazing isn't it that today anything less than about 2,000 square feet is considered a small house. Just think how it will be for Trump when he moves from Mar-a-Lago to a jail cell!!

Brian's Home Blog said...

I do love those pretty neighborhoods!

My Mind's Eye said...

You had me at the red door
Hugs Cecilia

Breathtaking said...

More lovely cottages and I enjoyed reading about the history of Bradenton. How nice that it's known as "THE FRIENDLY CITY".

The Adventures of the LLB Gang said...

What a beautiful town, with such cute houses! Thanks for sharing some of its history.

Great bird picture!

CheerfulMonk said...

Thank you again! ❤️

Rose said...

I would love to see inside the houses...love hearing stories from your life.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Although I haven't commented on the previous posts, Dantra, it has been enjoyable seeing the houses in your area. They are quite small compared to many of the larger, old homes in various neighborhoods of Nashua, NH. Also more colorful than many brick ones here.