Monday, December 18, 2023

More about the dog bone tree part 1

 


Sitting on the sofa, Chromebook in lap, the view of the above chair was bleak. I had decided not to put anything there. Suddenly, I sprang slowly jacked myself up, walked 10 steps to the closet, lifted down the trash bag, removed the used to be dog bone tree, and sat it on the table and plugged it in. Done... NOPE! 


Above is fresh out of the closet this year. I just could not stand it. I fussed and ranted about how much I did not like it. I said, I am just going to sit it on the curb, and someone will take it. It's been in the closet for 3 years because I don't like it.

The tree went from Dog Bones gift in 2005 to Rose garland and changed every year until 2011 when I had a bright idea of using only ornaments that cost no more than a dollar. For five dollars I had a Dollar Tree, Dollar Tree from the Dollar Tree Store.
below is how it looked when I first did it.


Years passed; the PRE-wired lights Died.
One hour of wire cutters removed the wires and lights.
the tree was stripped and really pretty.
I added bright white fairy lights and five dollars spent at Dollar Tree Store and i loved it.
The lights died quickly because i left it on almost every waking hour. Plus I left it out until the end of Feb for a couple of years.
I ordered the same lights, the kind that are USB plug in charger, but accidently got warm white not bright white.
I was aggravated and just wrapped the lights on top of the ornaments instead of stripping the tree and starting over
You can see by the tree at the top, it was not a winner.  I simply put in in a bag and put in the closet and there it has sat
Until a few days ago. 
After an hour of whining about the ugly tree, I grabbed it and sat down in that chair with it between my knees and ripped everything on it off.  
The search for lights, began and I took all the junk out of the closet, looking for the set of bright white fairy lights that I remembered placing in the closet.
I found a whole stash of lights everything but what i wanted.
Amazon let me down, they had no bright white except battery.
I had mini warm lights, 20 to the strand and put them on, it needed 20 more,
to many dark spots.


I loved it. but it had dark spots. I scoured Amazon for a string of 100 fairy lights like the ones on the middle tree, not battery powered.
 I drove to Publix, CVS and Dollar General, NO! Lights!
Saturday at Walmart the app said they had them, on 3 different aisles, I spent 30 minutes searching for them with help from 2 different employees
The app said they had them. I thought, I will just get a second strand of what is on the tree, the only one they had was 50. I bought that
Bob had said, before I left, why don't you get blue lights. I said I don't like blue lights, of course they had a 20 light BLUE and I felt bad because I always pick what i want so I bought them
to be continuted

16 comments:

eileeninmd said...

Hello,
The tree looks pretty. I am sorry you get stressed from decorating the tree.
I hope you found the lights you really want. Take care, have a happy day!

David M. Gascoigne, said...

Makes me very glad we don’t fuss with trees.

Rose said...

I will be waiting to hear the rest of the story...

Ann said...

I'm glad you didn't decide to put it out on the curb because it really is a pretty little tree. Even right out of the closet.
I look forward to reading the rest of this story and I'm curious about what you did with the blue lights.

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
I didn't bother with my tree this year. Am struggling to get into the spirit. What I have bothered with will appear in tomorrow's post at DoWY. Nowhere near as pretty as this. Can't wait to see how it ended up! YAM xx

Brian's Home Blog said...

All this fun can sure be stressful sometimes!

Jo said...

Oh wow Sandra, you go to so much trouble. And you know what you are doing. Being a woman on my own in this house, there are no decorations and no tree. I used my small selection of decorations on the Christmas table of my Weigh-Less party last week. I have repacked them for exhuming next December again. I look forward to the continuation...

Tigger's Mum said...

I guess we know we are in a first world country when we find ourselves standing in a store trying to decide what colour/shape/number/power rating of christmas lights to buy. I tried it one year in Greece and was astounded (and somewhat overwhelmed) by the variations. Your tree looks good in all the photos you have posted.

photowannabe said...

That tree light saga was similar to mine last year..I do know the pain. I'm so glad you are trying to put bright spots in your home. I think it will put a little glimmer in you too.
Looking forward to the next installment.
Last night I was awakened by lightning and thunder..2 am...
We finally got a tiny storm and our yards got watered. Suppose to be more today but now I see the sun trying to peek through the clouds.. ahhh nothing like sunny California..haha..to be continued..
Sue

The Adventures of the LLB Gang said...

I think it's great that you don't just settle...and go out of your way to get what you want!! I think the blue lights will look beautiful!

DeniseinVA said...

I'm looking forward to reading about the rest of this :)

Mevely317 said...

Your sweet little tree is reminiscent of Lazarus!
Has Bob seen the blue lights yet? That's so sweet you're surprising him with that which he suggested. (Not so sure I'd have been that thoughtful, ha-ha.)

Debby@Just Breathe said...

Oh my, oh my, that is some story you have told about the tree and everything that has happened over the years. Can't wait to hear what happened next.

NanaDiana said...

hahahaha--love the story to be continued. Saga of the Sad tree to start to Star of the Show at the end....xo Diana

The Happy Whisk said...

I love that even though blue lights aren't your thing, you did it for da'hubz - wonderful.

CheerfulMonk said...

I'm sorry it was such a hassle. I don't decorate for Christmas any more...and we don't miss it.