Friday, April 5, 2024

Minute Matters Mutterings

 Saturday morning I got in the car in Wal-Mart store, in the dark, and when i moved forward, I put the windows down because the windows were fogged. As I pressed on the gas, a horrid clicking noise started, the faster I went the louder it got. I parked and looked at the tires and saw nothing. I thought, oh no, the back tire has a separated belt and its only a year old as I thought, its only 2 miles home, I will be careful and slow and check it with Bob at home.

Arriving safely, in the garage with 200 dollars worth of purchases, I left them in the car and we inspected it and found this tiny rock had wedged its small end in between the treads and the large end was hitting the pavement each time it turned. it was hot to the touch and worn smooth from the two mile ride. 

I had the fretter scenario video player in my head, in high gear and this tiny rock scared me silly, it is only 1/4 inch on one end, 1/2 inch other end. 

YAY! just a rock. It cost me nothing but fright.


Now for the muttering . Did you know that the majority of men, will not believe a female if she tells them what is wrong with a tire. As in if I told a mechanic that the tire was separated they would not believe me. They think women have no clue about cars. I worked 7 years in automotive as a Service greeter and that was 7 out of 39 married to the mechanic I met and married in Sears Automotive.

Here is proof.  Although you only have my word and a sidekick mechanic to prove it.

 I was at the ATM depositing a check and a Very Senior Man drove up and parked and was getting out his car. The engine was so hot I could smell it from where I stood, I turned to him and said, its not safe to drive your car, it is overheating, can you smell it? you will not get far, its about to freeze up on you.

You would have thought I stabbed him with a pin.. He was not happy for a young whippersnapper woman telling him something was wrong with his car. If it had been my husband, he would have thanked him. OH WELL.  I fantasized all the way home of him stalling in traffic on Manatee Ave and having to wait for a tow truck. 

Speaking of Minute Cute Things, I tried to get a photo of this teeny tiny sweet adorable brown anole to show you her tiny feet. I ooohed and ahhed and so did Bob. she was less than 1 and 1/2 inches. Her feet were precious.  I found a LINK to a blog that shows one that someone took fantastic photos of her. You can see how precious she was and her little feet on that link.


Lizards and Rocks, all about nature, the fun and the not so fun.

Joining Nature Friday with Rosy and Sunny at 


20 comments:

Ginny Hartzler said...

Do they ever get in the house? That man should have thanked you profusely!! So glad it was only a little rock!

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari Om
Yeah, being ignored by a man is far too common...the Anole is so darned cute! YAM xx

Ann said...

Not only do men not believe women when they say something is wrong but if said woman takes her car to them for whatever reason there are some who will rip them off and charge them extra. There was a garage that I had taken my car to for years. After Wade died I suspected he was ripping me off and switched garages.

eileeninmd said...

Hello,
I am wary of car repair shops, some are honest and a lot are not.
I am happy it was only a tiny rock causing the noise on your tire.
The anole lizard is so cute, I like their tiny feet.
Take care, have a great day and happy weekend.

Rose said...

They are just so cute! I am glad it was only a rock.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

If there is one thing I have learned in life it is to take good advice from whatever quarter it comes. As for the anole, it is beautiful, and I am quite sure it was your reward for being concerned about an undiagnosed noise in a car. That’s something that should always put you on high alert.,

My Mind's Eye said...

Whew happy it was nothing serious...things that go bump and click in the car are bothersome.

Hugs Cecilia

The Happy Whisk said...

Happy to read that it was only a rock. Woohoo! Did you get any fun foods at Wally's?

Chatty Crone said...

My husband never believes me either - although I have had my car for years and know what it sounds and feels like! $200 - you got some stuff girl!

Mevely317 said...

What a fright, that noise! Even tho' it was only two miles, pretty sure I wouldn't have been as brave. My former husband worked all his life in tires -- most recently at an Abilene, Texas retread plant (Bandag), so I heard more than I ever needed/wanted about the process.

That old coot probably deserved having his engine freeze up! Best that's all I say about that!

Love the anole's precious feet!

Ginny Hartzler said...

My glass dome with the bunny ears. Believe it or not, I found it at Wal-Mart for maybe around $5.00. The very last one and they never got more in.

Sparky said...

I'm glad that's all it was in your tire. Rocks and pebbles in the road cause a lot of grief all around. They're really dangerous on two wheels. A rock can wreck a bike quicker than a jack rabbit on a date.
Lizards are cool. I think I like them all. They eat bugs, you know. That's a big plus! The anoles do have itty bitty feet. So cute.
Blessings.

The Adventures of the LLB Gang said...

I think it's great you know so much about cars!!

Love you lizard friend!!

PeeEss....I thought the sand at White Sands is a little finer and a bit more gritty than beach sand.

Brian's Home Blog said...

Dang, now you are a Rock Star!!!

diane b said...

You are a clever one. Glad the problem was not a serious one.

CheerfulMonk said...

I'm so glad it was just a rock and didn't do any damage. Yes, guys can be weird about learning something from gals sometimes. 🙁

DeniseinVA said...

Well that was a relief! I have had the occasional man look at me when I have mentioned something mechanical. You are very good at knowing these things. The anole was very cute! One of the many joys in the natural world.

Debby@Just Breathe said...

I'm glad your tire is okay. I didn't know that about men and tires. That's an interesting story about the man at the ATM. Is that a type of lizard? They are so cute when they are that tiny.

♥♥ The OP Pack ♥♥ said...

Glad it was just a rock, it could have been so muich worse. Men!!! Moml oves our Dad, but sometimes they really can be pigheaded.

Woos - Lightning, Misty, and Timber

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

I too would have been distressed, Sandra, and hoping to make it home safely, so glad to read a stone in the tire was the culprit. I do not know much about things mechanical, but believe that women instinctively know when something doesn’t sound or feel right.