Friday, June 28, 2024

Atala Butterflies Lifer for me

 

Bing AI doesn't know what Atala Butterfly looks like, but this is beautiful


I met a butterfly in our back yard that I have never seen before. It was about the size of a Red Admiral, very small. At first, I thought it was solid black, but then saw a red dot on it. No photos can't get it with the cell phone.
Excited because it was the first time in my life to see this tiny butterfly, I googled small black butterfly with red dot on head
and VOILA!


The article is from 2023 and I live 6 miles from USF Sarasota-Manatee Campus, and about 2 miles as the butterfly, flies... This beauty in my yard had found its way here, a rare tropical butterfly, lives in the perfect habitat at the university campus. I am so excited. I need to get a plant to draw more of them.




this is another link if you want more info...   https://entnemdept.ufl.edu/creatures/BFLY/Eumaeus_atala.htm  and 



today I have the perfect post for joining Nature Friday with Sunny and Rosy https://llbinourbackyard.blogspot.com/
and also the perfect post for FFF with Yam https://inimaynaelcammeno.blogspot.com/




14 comments:

CheerfulMonk said...

That's fascinating. I had never heard of them, thanks for the education! ❤️

easyweimaraner said...

wow they must be magic... can you make a wish? its worth a try ;o)

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari Om
Yes, a perfect FFF/NF offering!!! YAM xx

Rose said...

Ih, wow, it is gorgeous!

eileeninmd said...

Wow, what a beauty. Congrats on your sighting.
Take care, have a happy day!

Ginny Hartzler said...

WOW wOW, this is a once in a lifetime thrill, and I would have been just as excited!! We can go our whole life without ever seeing something rare like this. It is gorgeous and petite.

By the way, I had been waiting only a half hour to eat before taking my thyroid pill. I'm sure you knew that, since we are so alike. Now I am waiting an hour like your doctor said, and feeling so much better! I hope that post of your helps other people as well! Your new doctor is GOOD!

Brian's Home Blog said...

I didn't know either but it sure is pretty!

Mevely317 said...

I never heard of am Atala butterfly, but it's beautiful! Now I'm wondering how many people (pointing finger at myself) wouldn't even notice -- or pay attention.

I'm not normally given to 'whoo-whoo'(isms) but suspect it travelled your way for a reason. Please, let us know if it comes back!

Chatty Crone said...

The article said they made your area home - does that mean they are going to stay there - the butterflies - it was so beautiful and unusual I know you loved them. I had never heard of them myself.

Debby@Just Breathe said...

How exciting!!! I love the links you shared. Very interesting that it is out your way visiting you. It's a beautiful butterfly.

Sparky said...

That's very nice. Butterflies and Dragonflies are so lovely. Thanks for the links. 💙

The Adventures of the LLB Gang said...

WOW!! How cool Sandra....what a beautiful butterfly!

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

Isn't that amazing! We live in a good state for butterflies. There are so many flowers for them to feed on. Enjoy your weekend!

Betty Manousos said...

such a beauty! and thanks for the links. interesting! all the very best ❤️