Sunday, September 8, 2024

Family at Shiloh Cemetary

Shiloh Methodist Church, Tattnall County, Georgia, USA

While looking for my friend Madeline's obituary in my archives I stumbled on the snip below of my grandfathers grave in Georgia. He and many members of our family are buried at this small church, still standing, still people using the cemetery. My Dad's family lived in the home you saw last month on the edge of the railroad tracks in Manassas, GA .

The Shiloh Church is just a few minutes drive from the home he was raised in.

I found my way to the sight of Historic Rural Churches. I spent a lot of time browsing and found below info on that sight. I could spend days just looking at the churches from the past.

Shiloh Methodist is the second oldest church in Tattnall County, the oldest being Mt. Carmel, a meeting house of peeled pine logs eighteen feet by twenty feet erected in 1808. While the exact organization date of Shiloh is uncertain, according to a local county history, it occurred either in 1810 or 1812. this info is from Historic Rustic Churches and is in Reidsville, Georgia. this is HRCGA dedicated  https://www.hrcga.org/church/shiloh-methodist/   (info above and photo from link provided)




Snips of my great grandfathers headstone, he was my dad's, dad and the is the LINK to My Paternal Grandparents and some of the McCall's buried there. So much info there to go from link to link.

I am posting this to store the links for myself. In the link below I found death certificates, obituaries and much information that I never knew. 
If you go to https://www.findagrave.com/ you might find information on your family also. I intend to research more and add to this for my own info storage.

Photos from links above. let me know if you find any of your family churches and graves that you never knew were there.


18 comments:

Ginny Hartzler said...

This is a lovely little church, and what I think of when I think of a church. It is still standing, but is there an attending membership still?

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari Om
A lovely exploration of history, personal and general. This is what blogging was originally about, starting in universities for researchers to log all pertinent details and references for ease of access in the future. YAM xx

Rose said...

I go to findagrave all the time to see when someone died...I have never found anything new about family.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

Think of all the people whose families were slaughtered in concentration camps during World War II who will never have that chance even if they want to. Genealogy is of no interest to me, but I would like to think the opportunity was there if I wished it. In the meantime, I go to cemeteries quite often because they are great places for birding. I see graves that are well tended and those that are neglected, some with fresh flowers, some with food and incense sticks, depending on the customs of the ethnic group. The common denominator is that they are all dead!

Sparky said...

Family histories and genealogy is fascinating to me. I like history anyway. I've enjoyed dabbling in genealogy since the 70s probably because I grew up feeling unconnected to anyone or anything. After all the research into my birth family, I realize how interconnected we all are. We really are all cousins. I think that's neat. Thanks for sharing your lineage. Plus, we found out we're McCall cousins and probably related by other lines too! How cool is that!? Have a blessed Sunday. 💙

DeniseinVA said...

It’s a pretty church! Family genealogy is a fascinating topic. We found a grave of my family in Richmond once. One of my greats-great-greats came to the States in the 1700s much to my shock. I had no idea.

DawnTreader said...

Thanks for the reminder of that website, I know I have come across it before on some sidetrack in my own family history research.

Mevely317 said...

How I love that first image! The little church we belong to now was built in 1848, so not that far behind.
I know my parents are interred at Ft. Snelling National Cemetery, but really need to follow this link and learn more about their parents -- and those who've gone before. Thanks!

Brian's Home Blog said...

That church creates such a peaceful scene.

Donna said...

Such a sweet little church with a big history...
hugs
Donna

My Mind's Eye said...

I love the name Shiloh...rolls off the tongue. If I had another pet, that would be it's name.
Hugs Cecilia

Linda P said...

Family history research is an interesting past time. I'm glad I did a lot of research on line as I would not be able to do it now. At least I downloaded and printed off birth, wedding and burial certificates at the time and have kept them in files as well as other information. It gives me a sense of identity as I read my files and I hope my family will appreciate the effort to preserve our heritage. They also like to look at family photos and I'm thankful we can talk about them too.

Ann said...

This is interesting. I'll have to see if I can find some of my family members.

Ann said...

JUst went and tried my father, my mother, my brother and my grandfather and was only able to find my father. Of course I know exactly where he's buried and the rest I'm not really sure. Oh I also tried Wade and nothing came up for him either.

Debby@Just Breathe said...

I love the research you did and the link you found. This is so interesting.

Chatty Crone said...

I live in GA, but have not heard of those cities. Funny though, we have a Shiloh Methodist Church right up the street from us. I don't know how you found all that out!

Debby said...

I enjoy genealogy- it’s my favorite hobby. I can get in it for hours. Many don’t understand. I know Find-A-Grave well. I am a contributor and manage a few graves - I used to take gravesite photos but haven’t in a couple of years. I need to do that again because I really enjoy visiting cemeteries.
That is cool about that old church still being there. Oh if the walls could talk. Very interesting.

CheerfulMonk said...

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll try it.