Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Beware the Pineapple!

some of you may groan aloud when you see Once Again Sandra Is On The Pineapple Posting Train.

Yesterday above, today below


the thing is, the pineapple is growing 1/4 inch a day, we are literally watching it grow. I check it at 6:30 am and by noon, it has changed, by just before dark, it has changed again, I have never seen anything grow so fast. (note:maybe staring at a  pineapple causes rapid growth)

During one of many Macro Shots, I accidently touched the sharp edge of the long foliage. At first i thought it was a razor cut, but then found I was the proud owner of not one but five needle sharp spines in my finger.

Seen only under a bright lamp and with the help of tweezers I manged to pull them out.

i was amazed when i google the sentence Beware of the Pineapple. try it! there are even videos!   by clicking around i found this site, Pineapple Fruit Factsif you are interesed there is a lot of info there.

I wish I had found it sooner, this is the sentence that would have saved me PAIN.

Foliage: The long-pointed leaves are 20 - 72 in. in length, usually needle tipped and generally bearing sharp, upcurved spines on the margins. OK, so NOW I know!


I also found it may have purple or red flowers.

BEWARE The Pineapple.......Whoo Boy! My three cameras are READY. Are YOU??

13 comments:

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Good Morning Sandra, I love it that you are keeping us posted about your pineapple. That's so neat.. I've never seen one grow before--so this is new to me.

Some man brought some fresh strawberries into our breakfast area this morning. He had gone somewhere not far from here where you can pick them. They were SO good --and fresh.

Today is cloudy and drizzly --so I'm not sure what we'll do. We are enjoying catching up on our reading this week.

Nashville still has horrible flooding.. I feel so sorry for those people.

Hugs,
Betsy

Unknown said...

YAY for pineapples! Well... except for that whole spiny thing. BOOO for spines!

I like the pineapple updates. Sorry you got injured though! I'm glad you were able to get the spines out!

Beverly said...

Yummy, yummy. I love pineapple, and I have found them quite good this year, and generally, more reasonable than other years. Of course, growing your own is quite something.

Ginny Hartzler said...

Yes, I can for sure see it growing from these pictures! I can't believe this story! I just Googled "Beware..." and do you know that your blog is now the first entry on the list?? I saw lots of funny stuff, like beware falling pineapples, but not about this. So why did you get stuck and we never do when we buy them in grocery stores? Do they cut the things off before they sell them?? Did you get a macro of your finger... HEY! This reminds me exactly of that play we just saw!!! Remember I posted about it with pictures? Little Shop Of Horrors!!! The plant needed blood and kept growing bigger and bigger real fast. Can you put a piece of black paper behind those sticker things so we can see them? Maybe you shouldn't eat it!

photowannabe said...

The Pineapple is quite amazing. I had no idea it grew so fast. Sorry about the pain the prickly thing caused you. Hope it heals quickly.

DawnTreader said...

I never saw a pineapple in bloom before, didn't know they had purple flowers. Because of course we don't get them in the shops until they're ripe and ready to eat. You continue to keep us posted. And be careful... ;)

Catherine said...

Love your pineapple photos! Truly amazing it's growing so fast. My daughter started one from a pineapple she brought from Hawaii - wasn't very sweet, but I was impressed!

Kilauea Poetry said...

Some are really different..my son moved into a home with a variety that are pinkish and super sharp and thorny!! I love them too Sandra..so funny! Hope your doing ok!

MedaM said...

I have never seen pineapple growing and I didn’t know it grow so fast. This beautiful and yummy fruit I can only see on the market. I am sorry you hurt your finger.

George said...

I think you deserve a Purple Heart since you were wounded in the line of duty -- getting pictures for this post. The pineapple is amazing.

A Brit in Tennessee said...

Well it certainly IS growing, and looking delious I might add :)
Yes, they do have prickly spines and they hurt like those of a porcupine.
Awesome pictures !

Madeline said...

Great photos. I never knew a pineapple could be so beautiful. Sorry you got stuck. Now you know!

Dawning Inspiration said...

so sorry you got stabbed! Great info and so fun to watch it grow with you!