Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Pretty is as pretty does

When I whined as a child/teen that I was not pretty, my mother always answered "pretty is as pretty does". This phrase works in reverse on the vine in our trees, "Pretty it is, but pretty it dosen't" is the perfect quote for Virginia Creeper.


this is the time of year, the vine we hate and would love to kill, turns a beautiful brilliant red, right at Christmas. This vine has been the  bane of our existence. It covers trees, buildings, fence, and I am thinking a person if you stand still for a while. Bob is constantly hacking at the roots of it to keep it from killing our trees and plants.



I went to Beginner Gardening to find the name of this hated vine and was totaly amazed to find people actually BUY this Plant and Plant it on purpose. To quote from Beginner Gardening (this is a site with a sense of humor, if you want a laugh, pop over and read his question and answers on the vine)



"Virgina Creeper never met a wall it didn’t like, a fence it couldn’t conquer or a plant it couldn’t smother." and "it's able to leap tall buildings in its first year and look out for the 2nd year." beginner gardening



we have seen this plant cover the whole top of a 50 year old oak tree in one summer. as i snapped away a few days before Christmas, my hubby moaned "all those red leaves will fall next week and be in the pool" and they will!

A weed is a plant that has mastered every survival skill


except for learning how to grow in rows.

- Doug Larson



12 comments:

Remington said...

It is pretty though....love the pics!

Sunny said...

It's a very pretty color. We had Wysteria that grew like that, our Maple trees had purple flowers!
☼ Sunny

Unknown said...

I think we have that samevine here in our yard, but it doesn't grow as fast because of the difference in climate. If you want to see a dreded and hated vine you should see the Kudzu vine around north Georgia.Nothing has been found to kill it. It was originally introduced to controll erosion. What a mistake.

George said...

I really like your definition of a weed. We have problems with Virginia Creeper up here as well, so if you ever find a cure, please let us know. These are pretty pictures, however.

Ginny Hartzler said...

Good grief!!! And I guess it has spread out so much now that there's no way to possibly get rid of it. Hmmm, I guess it's crept on over from my neighborhood. Funny, I live in Virginia and this is the first time I've seen it!! Well, I've probably seen it and didn't know what it was. I love your red ball on the left, so pretty!! I think you are the timekeeper of blogland this month!! Your blog is s clock tower!

Kilauea Poetry said...

My whole comment just disappeared? Now this is my new laptop (running slow) and I haven't a picture in it! Someone will have to inspect it!
OK, this does have some charm and beauty..hmm, maybe on the same level those Coqui frogs do (everyone else seems to think so)!-innocently perched on a leaf! Do you know if you have the exact same? Honestly, I should of included some info like how (forget the pitch) you can't hear yourself think at times (lol)
Well, back to your VC..did you guys trim it just before it changed or does it always have a bit of red? Pretty contrast though..but those quotes sure put things into perspective! I like your pink ball on the left side column..
anyway, have a good afternoon:)

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Oh My..... We have that horrible vine up here also --and it tries its best to choke trees ---and does it... I have pulled vine after vine after vine off of the trees around here ---and the next year, it comes right back. I just try to get it before it climbs too high up in any of our trees. I even work on it in the empty lot next door (which doesn't belong to us). There are some gorgeous white dogwoods in that lot ---yet the VC has almost ruined them.. It's a MESS.... Even the red leaves don't impress me... ha

Hugs,
Betsy

Ann said...

well at least it is pretty for a short time even if it is a pain in the butt the rest of the year :)

Unknown said...

I love the vibrant colour.

Happy New Year!

Chatty Crone said...

My grandmother told me that all the time. sandie

SquirrelQueen said...

I have had an encounter with Virginia Creeper and it is nasty stuff but like Snapper II my worst nightmares from my Georgia days are of Kudzu.

Those red leaves are really pretty but probably not worth the time that goes into trying to getting rid of the plant. I love your new header photo Sandra.

Dawning Inspiration said...

It's sure pretty in that tree!!!