Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Remember the Nightshade?

 If you follow my blog you might remember the stunning Double Purple Trumpet that is in the deadly Nightshade family.   The pod above is what happened after it quick blooming.
 First a green pod
 then it sprouted little black nubby thingy's

 Then it literally exploded these seeds all over the ground, it has been putting out seeds for a month now and still has many pods on it.

the quote  Only the Good die young, fits the trumpet and the pencil cactus in below photo that I snagged from the Internet.. the trumpet spreads itself and so does the cactus and they are both deadly to animals and humans.
Internet Photo above, ours is GONE as of today

We found by accident we have a deadly plant in the yard since Hubby tangles with it 2 weeks ago. He had the weed whacker whacking  and got in the Pencil Cactus. That cactus has been there since 1990, when I brought home a piece I found laying on the ground. it has at times been taller than my head and has been moved twice. 

The weed eater hit a couple of pieces and slung the white milky juice all over Hubby's chest and arms. I was sitting here at the computer and he screamed in the back door, Bring Soap HURRY. I grabbed the Dawn and ran outside and he was dancing around and hollering and washing himself. We dawn soaped him, twice, i poured a bucket of warm vinegar water on him and handed him a Benadryl. we soaped again and he got the pool. he was in agony and i wanted to take him to the ER. he had raised welts and a rash that took 13 days to go away.
I Googled the plant and found it is deadly, eaten or the milky stuff and can blind if in eyes and even kill and has been used on the end of poison arrows. We are blessed it did not get in his eyes or that one of the dogs did not get in it. today he put on gloves and carefully removed it forever more.


30 comments:

diane b said...

That was a nasty way to discover its poisonous properties. Glad none went in his eyes. I knew the trumpet was poisonous but not the pencil cactus. I hope nurseries warn people or not even sell them.

SquirrelQueen said...

I meant to ask you about the Pencil cactus when you mentioned it the other day. It sounds even more dangerous that the your Trumpet.

I'm glad both are gone from your yard. I hope you are not raising any other hazardous plants.

BlueShell said...

First I see a wonderfull flower..then you tell me that you have a Killer plant in your garden???Oh, dear...
He was blessed indeed...I do not even think...
take care, ok??? Please!Plants can be dangerous, see???

Have a nice day.

A Brit in Tennessee said...

Oh, dear such a gorgeous bloom on the purple night shade, I 'spect that's the lurer in....
Devil's herb indeed.
~Jo

Unknown said...

Wow, close call.
It would make a great weapon to use in the check out isle.
Just kidding. LOL

From the Kitchen said...

It's not good when your own yard turns on you!

Best,
Bonnie

Tammy@Simple Southern Happiness said...

Outstanding photos of the trumpet flower!!! Love those pods.

You had one of those plants?? Boy have you been blessed the dogs did not get into it or hubby or you for that matter did not tangle with it.

Marie said...

Glad hubby took care of things. Hope he's okay. So glad your babies didn't get into them.
Your trumpet is really pretty!

penny said...

Sandra, your shots of the trumpet flower and pods are awesome! and your header is lovely as well.

I'm glad your hubby wasn't injured worse than he was. I give him credit for having the courage to go back and remove it.

hugs, Pam

TexWisGirl said...

oh, how frightening! and lucky! yikes!

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Oh how scary.... Glad your sweetie is okay ---but that was too close for comfort... I am glad you got rid of that plant, no matter how pretty it is.... Your pictures are marvelous though.
Hugs,
Betsy

Unknown said...

Nice articles. I'm just blogwalking and very happy to stop here. And also give you some comment here.

Dont forget to give us some your comment into my blog too.

Thanks for share,
* Rio Prasetyo *

Sue McPeak said...

Hi Sandra....Pencil Cactus is a common native plant in West Texas and I have had it in a pot before. I did not know about it's poisonous properties. I don't think your header is a 4o'clock, but it sure is gorgeous...love it and all the other photos you have in this post...amazing detail and color.

Ruth Hiebert said...

Oh my goodness! That sounds awful. I am glad it wasn't worse and that now this plant is gone.

Reena said...

Oh my goodness! so lucky no damage was done!

Ginny Hartzler said...

Oh my GOSH!!!!!! What a story, I am having Phil read it when he gets home. But you just KNOW here come the questions. Did you find any lotion or anything you could put on it to help? I know Lanacaine is a numbing agent. And how was able to sleep? Did it hurt and burn all the time? Has it left scars? Is O.K. now? I have a poison story tomorrow, we almost posted on the same day!!!!

Remington said...

OH NO! That is one bad plant! I hope all is okay now. BTW -- the Full Beaver Moon is Nov. 10 -- I will have a full report tomorrow! But it certainly has been big and beautiful the last couple of nights!

George said...

I'm sorry to hear about the encounter Hubby had with the pencil cactus. I'm glad it was no worse than it was. I think I'll be careful about the unknown things I stick in the ground from now on.

S. Etole said...

So glad no permanent damage was done to your husband.

EG CameraGirl said...

Oh my goodness. That was a way-too-close call!

Kilauea Poetry said...

Oh I'm sorry..it reminds me of that Stinging Nettle! This is also what happens when hubby weed wacks..slugs, snails, poop, cinder rocks, staghorn fern and nettles! He is lucky..hope he was wearing glasses! Those are pretty macros of one deadly mama!
Well, I'm hanging in there and just don't know what to say! Hope all is well and will try to stop by more often. Wishing you a cozy evening (hugs)

Anonymous said...

Weeds and flowers have worked out a good defense system. I guess it works to. I liked reading your post and examining the photos.

Sandy said...

Glad that your hubby is okay, that was a scary thing to happen. The shots of the trumpet flower on the other hand were beautiful

Ann said...

wow, sounds like he had a close call with that cactus. Not a good way to find out how dangerous it is but lucky it wasn't any worse than what it was.

Chatty Crone said...

Oh my goodness - I feel so bad for Bob, but yet so thankful that he only got it on his body and not in his eyes or down his throat.

13 days of misery and you were right there for him.

Oh my goodness.

sandie

Rose said...

My goodness! That is even scary to read about!

troutbirder said...

Scary that's for sure. We have a tiny member of the nightshade family growing wild in our woods. Thanks for the caution...

photowannabe said...

Oh my, how scary. I'm glad he is finally ok but 13 days is a long time.
I'm happy the plant is gone forever now.

Betty Manousos said...

oh no!
so lucky no damage was done.
too scary though.

Kim@stuffcould.... said...

It is amazing how the beautiful flower develops!