Tuesday, February 16, 2016

A Tale of Two Bees that Were


During chilly days, we have noticed our bees that live in  The Bee Tree, better known as Dwarf Poinciana, get cold and act like they are drunk.
 They fly crooked, they run into us, they fall on the deck and sometimes fall  in the pool. After hearing in the news that our world needs our bees for us to continue to eat, Bob and I have been saving them.

We lift  them out of the pool and lay them in a sunny spot and they do survive/revive. One got tangled in Bob's curly hair this week. His hair is like a net for catching things from leaves and sticks to bees.

recreation, I added the bee to photo
 I am afraid that this one Bit The Dust because when I yelled Bee IN YOUR HAIR he grabbed it and you can guess what happened..       Sting! Stung! Done!

I decided to Google facts about bees and landed on this site13 Fascinating Facts about Bees....

They get drunk, they ease pain, they have many jobs, scouts, soldiers and even undertakers.This is a MUST read... they are amazing. They are smart..So much to learn So little Time..

About 4 or 5 years ago, Florida has had 13 days of record breaking cold (I secretly hoped it would kill all the bees because they sting Jake and ME.) and added to my misery was bronchitis and sinusitis which required antibiotics.
The sun was shining and my husband said come out and sit against the wall, the sun will be good for you. In my flannel gown (yes we have privacy fence) I sat for 10 minutes and absorbed the rays. It felt so good.
A few minutes after I came in from the sunbath, I was sitting on sofa and felt something crawl on my neck, I brushed the back of my neck with my hand, found nothing, I felt something crawl and brushed again.

Shrieking OW! OW! , I jumped straight up in the air and slung my hand hard, and whatever it was flew off on the carpet, I am screaming Oww it stung me, Ow! It stung me.

Bob jumps up, “what stung you?” “WHERE IS IT?”

Jake jumps off sofa rushes to put his nose on whatever it is. I am screaming No JAKE, No Jake, bob is screaming What is it? Where is it?

Have you guessed yet what it WAS? A BEE…… clue word here is WAS. Is no more.He/she rode in on a flannel gown and rode out in the trash can...

15 comments:

Ann said...

I understand that they are a necessary part of our environment but when they start invading my personal space I will take action. Kind of scary that they can recognize human faces. That would explain all those ones that come out of nowhere and dive bomb me. They must be the relatives of the dearly departed

My Mind's Eye said...

MOL MOL MOL MOL YOU PAINTED A MOST VIVID MENTAL PHOTO. I WAS WAITING FOR YOU TO RIP THE FLANNEL DOWN TO SKIN!! MS THIS WAS SO FUNNY. I'M SORRY TO LAUGH AT YOUR PAIN.
hUGS CECILIA AND MADI WHO THINKS I AM CRAZY

eileeninmd said...

Good morning, The bees are ok with me as long as they keep their distance. My hubby is always getting stung while cutting the grass, he must ride over them and make them mad. Your post did make me laugh. Happy Tuesday, enjoy your day!

DeniseinVA said...

Hello Dear Bee Saver, you are doing your part to protect the planet, and keeping us smiling at the same time. Thank you on both counts.

Anonymous said...

bees, insects love me. I got stung just going for a walk last year over a bridge. I was looking over the bridge standing with Sid. I felt a sting on my hand. I quickly pulled out the stinger but my hand still was swollen for a day.

I know we need them for gardens and other things.

Poor Bob. Did you get the stinger out somehow.

Mine was still sticking up so I was lucky to get it out with my fingers.


Gail said...

Bees are a great asset. Trouble is once they sting, they die.

Long live the pollinators. Thanks for saving them.

Marie said...

Bees do need help. I see a lot of entrepreneurs on Shark Tank with businesses to help bees. :) It's so great that you guys are saving them. :) Sorry you get stung, they never bother me. :) knock on wood...lol

Rose said...

Interesting facts about bees...I know a storm coming in can put them in a foul mood...ask me how I know.

Did you know that once a honeybee stings you, it dies? Its stinger is usually left in your skin if you look before rubbing.

Debby@Just Breathe said...

I've noticed that with our bees when it is cold. They get very sluggish. Sorry about the stings. I keep children's benadryl in the house for Skye. We have some ground cover that gets loaded with bee's and she use to pounce on them when she was a puppy.

photowannabe said...

I do love how you paint a story Sandra.
We haven't got enough bees around here. The last few years there have been less and less, hence less polinating and less fruit on our fruit trees. Its very sad.
Hope you don't get stung again.

Ruth Hiebert said...

We really do need the bees,but I am not a fan of being stung by them.

jp@A Green Ridge said...

Awwww...sorry to hear you were under the weather but I am glad that the bee that got you was gotten by you!!!...:)JP

Anonymous said...

We had a lot of bees on the flowers in mother's yard. If I got out early enough, I could rub their backs and wake them up as they slept on the flowers!

Grandma C said...

Now that you killed two of them..... you shall have to save 20 in return. lol
Just made that one up. Hope their family remember all the ones you saved... so they won't come on the rampage the next time your out in your gown of the night. lol

Ida said...

Saving bees is important for sure. I found one inside last fall and carefully caught it in a glass and set it free. - I found the facts about bees quite fascinating and your stories about them quite entertaining. Getting stung isn't fun though.