Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Portavant Indian Mound 2


I sat down for a rest after a long walk and realized the sun was painting the deck and leaves. The deck covers a large portion of the mound to protect it. Climbing on the mound is not allowed.



all points of the compass from the top of the mound are moss hung oaks over 100 years old


We saw hundreds or oranges, growing in among the oaks and palms, un-reachable now that the mound is protected.

Per the sign below, in 1869 the Griffith's built there house on top of the mound and planted 200 orange and lemon trees, and 400 banana plants. the grand children of those plants still live here.


12 comments:

My Mind's Eye said...

Hidey ho MADsnapper. LOL we are glad we satisfied your curiosity for today...'mol there is always tomorrow'!! Emerson Park is lovely place if we ever find ourselves in MS territory we will head there.

Mom is late she has been on a dusting rampage and washing crystal and knick knacks in the family room. Dad is on a day trip so this was the purrfect time to do it
Hug madi and Mom

Debby@Just Breathe said...

Those leaves on the deck are so cool!

DeniseinVA said...

Fantastic place, would love to see that. Your photos are always enjoyable Sandra.

Ann said...

that's a lot of orange, lemon and bananas

The Adventures of the LLB Gang said...

I just love all the shadows you captured!!

Lois said...

I love all the shadows in your pictures. How interesting that they built their house on the mound like that. My father used to tell me stories about finding artifacts near some old mounds when he was a kid growing up north of St. Augustine. My grandmother would get mad when he brought them home and make him take them back. I think she was superstitious!

Ruth Hiebert said...

I love the light on that deck.These are such simple pictures,yet are so beautiful.

eileeninmd said...

Hello, I love the shadows. Looks like a great place to visit.

Rose said...

That deck sure did make a nice shot...would love to see the views for myself.

Ida said...

What a cool place. Lots of wonderful foliage to see there.

TexWisGirl said...

lovely 2nd shot.

Anonymous said...

Pretty light painting the deck. Ooooh, moss-draped oaks. I could look at those all day.