Tuesday, December 12, 2017

Oak Motte Walkabout


We saw the squirrels you saw on yesterday's post, while doing exercise walkabout in the OAK MOTTE at Bray Park.( thanks to Hooti Annie for the new word MOTTE)

 A last minute decision to go left me without peanuts for the resident squirrels. I took popcorn, despite the fact Google Girl advised peanuts and popcorn have no nutritional value for squirrels. She suggests Almonds or Walnuts.  I decided people eat snacks with no nutritional value, so why not squirrels.


Since Walnuts are now 7 dollar for 8 oz and pecans are 10.00 I took popcorn. We got out of the car and as we walked out through the trees, I said OH NO! the hawks must have eaten all the squirrels. Bob said Throw out some popcorn. I did and suddenly there were 2. they made no sound but they must have a secret call, or maybe smoke signals, even tiny tom tom drums, because as we walked we were surrounded by 22 squirrels. YES, I did count them and the funny thing is THEY followed us. All of them, we were like the pied piper for squirrels.  We laughed out loud the whole time. Laughter and walking, nothing better for the health.

I stopped the pop corn and they disappeared. we walked about 300 feet and I said to Bob, throw out some popcorn, It was Magical, they came from no where again.

As I snapped photos of gnarly trees and chattered on about beauty and the pine that was the only little petunia in the onion patch, or some such nonsense, Bob spotted our car through the trees and the PHUN was over.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

So funny to think about smoke signals and/or tom tom drums! I would love to walk there - it is beautiful.

Ann said...

Oh that is too funny how the squirrels came running out for the popcorn. No way would I have given them walnuts or pecans. Those are way too expensive.
No way would I ever get Wade to go walking with me. You must have magic powers :)

Gayle said...

So you're saying Bob saw his own 'squirrel' and off he went. The kids and I use this line from the movie UP when their dad switches off the topic.

Coloring Outside the Lines said...

Aha, that's what I need to carry with me to the park for close ups!

The Adventures of the LLB Gang said...

Angel Dory would have been besides herself with glee if she had ever seen 22 squirrels at the same time! What a beautiful motte(This may be my new word of the day too!)!

Debby@Just Breathe said...

The trees are beautiful. Looks like a nice place to walk.

Chatty Crone said...

That was fun! I need to do more things like that.

photowannabe said...

Yes, laughter is good medicine and walking with your Honey is so good for the soul too.
I would love to see you and Bob with all those squirrels following you.
The Pied Pipers of Squirrel-dom.

Ruth Hiebert said...

Oh how fun it must have been.Looks like a lovely place for a walk.

Mevely317 said...

That's such a cool park!
I was just thinking you could be the Pied Piper ... then you said it!
Remember that fun song from the 60's? (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kBj_SiZIrA)