Saturday, September 22, 2018

Programable Persons



The first 2 remotes control our Cable TV, 3rd is the TV not through the DVR box, 4th is Amazon Fire Stick Remote. (it takes both of these to watch Prime)

LARGE buttons belongs to Bob, the other is mine. They do exactly the same thing, to the same large screen TV and have the same buttons.

So Spectrum, WHY did you see  fit to place the buttons in different places? OR Why did I ever say yes, when they offered to let us have his and hers remotes and his would be different?

Bob and I are both Programable Persons. We are ritualistic and never move the trash can to the other side, because the trash will go on the floor.

If either of us picks up the other remote, we can't find anything on it. We both have OUR SPOT to sit...

Occasionally, while sitting in HIS spot, I will pick up his remote... In the middle of a song on America's Got Talent, I decide to check LIST to see if the next show is programming, I know exactly which button to push. Suddenly, the singing is CNN talking.

HE says WHAT ARE YOU DOING? I say, I wanted to check the LIST, your remote has the button in the wrong PLACE... that said I CAN'T find the last channel button, even though I JUST pushed it.
(he mutters under his breathe, I don't have problems with that remote)  I say I DON"T HAVE PROBLEMS with MY remote, this is YOURS and the buttons are in the wrong place.

I have to get up and find MY remote to push last channel. In the mean time, the song is finished and lucky for us, it is on the DVR and I have MY remote and can find rewind so we can hear the song.

The two remotes that control watching Prime TV and Movies are OFF LIMITS to Bob, he has no clue and doesn't want a clue... If I die, he will not know how to use the Fire Stick or how to tell Amazon to stop charging us for Prime.. HEH HEH HEH

If you are thinking, why don't they have ONE REMOTE TO DO ALL OF IT? Yes, they exist, but our TV is 11 years old and NOT SMART and if we buy a SMART TV and get ONE remote, neither of us might be able to work any of this stuff.

Once my friends husband and son, went for a 3 day week end to Daytona Races. They left her TV on the game remote. She did not have a TV to watch the whole time they were gone because she had NO clue how to use the remotes.  I have repeated this story to him, many times, or so he says.

You can say thank you now. I posted this very long post on Saturday because you should be off and have time to read it.

16 comments:

Ginny Hartzler said...

We each have our own remote, too! But we got them both at the same time we got the box, so they are exactly alike. And we have other remotes like you do, as well. The Box remote, the T.V. set remote, the DVR remote...if I want to play a DVD, it takes both the T.V. remote and the box remote. Not to mention the remote for the C.D. player, which we keep elsewhere.

Ann said...

When we got cable we only got one remote for each tv. But aside from the tv in the bedroom the other two have multiple remotes. There is the tv remote, the cable remote (which I no longer have), the dvd player remote, the tuner remote (Wade got one of those for two different tv's) and now the one has the fire stick remote. When I first met Wade and he was showing me how to use his tv you had to use multiple remotes to get to certain things. I had no clue.
The last several years, somehow Wade would constantly hit the wrong thing on his remote and not be able to watch tv. He would always call me and expect me to figure out what he did wrong. I told him stop watching tv in the dark and trying to use the remote without a light on.

Karen said...

Do you miss the good old days when we had to get up and change the channel and adjust the controls when the picture went crazy? lol

eileeninmd said...

Good morning, I have two remote one for the TV and one for our Directv satellite. I never programmed either one, I like to keep things simple.
Enjoy your day!

From the Kitchen said...

We do have a smart tv--well, it is smarter than either of us, but have three remotes associated with it. The latest is a remote that you can talk to. I guess you could say they all belong to me because my husband rarely watches television. He's still better at figuring out those remotes (he never talks to the latest one though) than I am.

Best,
Bonnie

My Mind's Eye said...

We are giggling....spectrum also sent us FREE 2 large button remotes back when we were having issues...that turned out to be a personal problem aka operator error. We have not used then yet. If we want to watch a DVR it takes 3 remotes on the upstairs tv. Neither we, the tv or the DVR player are smart.
Loved this post and I know it took time to write
Hugs Cecilia

Debby@Just Breathe said...

We have two DVR's and the remotes are both different but only because I got a newer one. Yes the buttons are different on both.

DeniseinVA said...

We share the remotes normally but one of us isn’t sport oriented so that person (me) often goes upstairs to watch her TV. Sometimes we reverse. We haven’t seen what the remotes do yet, recording and so on. It is just used for on and off and changing channels.

Chatty Crone said...

Oh my gosh I love it - we are the same way. Only problem is it works good with two people - not so good with four!

Mevely317 said...

Oh Sandra … this is better than an episode of "I Love Lucy"! Right now we've only the one, but Tom also bought an adaptor for an indoor antenna … then there's a thingy which works with his new hearing aids. He seems to have a handle on things, but I'm more like Bob.

PS - I'm super ritualistic; Tom not so much which drives me nuts.

Ruth Hiebert said...

Oh the joys of learning all this new technology. Maybe that's why I don';t watch TV and only rarely watch Netflix.

KB said...

That is hilarious. In general, if the Runner is home, I let him handle the remotes... but he's about to go out of town so I have a remote adventure ahead of me!

Lois said...

I live by myself and have 4 remotes. It gets confusing sometimes!

Just Mags said...

My Shug and I always not only had our own remote we had our on TV's. I use both TV's now but still use mine most of the time. I don't like any of the "Smart" stuff and do just fine with my newest TV that is not smart. I do have both remotes and TV's set up like I want them now. Hugs

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

We have 2 TVs and only one remote for each of them. They are not smart TVs or even very large ones at 27 and 37-inches. But since we do not subscribe to cable, and rarely watch network TV, there isn't any problem about programming...thank goodness. I know how to stream to the TV and that works fine for me.

Linda said...

Louis Dean does a good job in programming one remote to do nearly all the functions. But we can’t even turn Amber’s TV on! The quads can, of course so they do it for us....