Monday, February 18, 2019

Oatmeal, NOT Cookies


My favorite way to make oatmeal, includes crunchy peanut butter, raisins, and sweet n low. I make it thick, no milk. Big Boy loves it as much as I do.

A friend at TOPS said her friend doesn't like it in microwave, she likes it made in a pot on the stove. She makes a big pot, pours it in a greased pan and bakes it for 30 minutes, stores it in fridge and cuts squares each day.

To test what cold oatmeal taste like, I plopped a big spoon of mine in a bowl, sat in fridge and at 10 am snack time, it was delish... later that day, I ate a Vegan Bite cookie and thought this tastes like my cold oatmeal. POP! went the MadSnapper light bulb and I made a batch, see above, sat it in FREEZER and oh my word!

Frozen Oatmeal Pop! so yummy. They are hard as a brick, but after 5 minutes to thaw, just like ice cream. Almost.  The first batch I used parchment paper. Way t hard to get the paper off. Next batch I used aluminum foil. When frozen, remove and place in a plastic container. I eat them for snacks, breakfast on the run or even for my evening meal....  mine come to 35 calories per cookie.
Recipe for mine, but you can use whatever you like in yours.
1/2 cup Oats
1 cup water
1/4 cup raisins
1 Package Sweet N Low  or sweetener of your choice
2 minutes in Microwave
beat with spoon until thick, plop on tin foil..

I am gong to experiment with coconut, cranberries, chopped nuts and flavored sweeteners. May even try a little cocoa 

18 comments:

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari om
My granny used to make a batch of porridge on the farm range stove and put if inthe special drawer it had at the base to be kept and sliced later for the fieldworkers lunch. This sounds like a 21st century version... and I too love nuts and frui in mine!!! YAM xx

eileeninmd said...

Hello,

I just finished eating my oatmeal. I love it with cinnamon,banana and a little milk. Enjoy your day!

Hootin Anni said...

I have done these for snacking since my heart attack...my favorite is cinnamon & dried apples. (Dried blueberries are good too)

My Mind's Eye said...

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh that sounds delicious. I love oatmeal
Hugs Cecilia

Cranberry Morning said...

OK, I've got to try this!! And mine will be loaded with nuts and maybe cranberries, not raisins and not cocoa. Great idea!! Keep that light bulb glowing! - Judy

Mevely317 said...

This photo looks just like praline candies! Forget the carbs … I am SO going to do this! Make that, minus the raisins (*smile*) and I might have to double the PB. Hopefully, Tom will elect to eat these instead of all those potato chips!

Ginny Hartzler said...

Say WHAT??!! Well, this is exciting! Will it work with instant oatmeal? Because it only uses 1/2 cup of water. We use the little packets of instant, because it is easy and I cannot stand and stir that long. Maybe I should make the instant like it says on the package, right? Is this regular or instant? I also didn't know you can make regular in the microwave, this would be totally cool!! I cannot WAIT!!! Let me know all your oatmeal knowledge please. Have to go out for the day, may not answer till late. I am so excited!! Really.

LindyLouMac said...

Sandra, How lovely to hear from you. Thanks so much for taking a look at my photos on Instagram, much appreciated. I like Instagram as it is like a mini blog of my life and does not take up so much time. Hope you are keeping well.

photowannabe said...

Fascinating and sounds delish.
I'm not sure if I can eat that though. I think I will try it a little bit at a time.
Maybe just mixing in some peanut butter will do the trick.

Betty Manousos said...

this oatmeal looks great. i'd love making up a few of these at a time for a quick, on-and-go breakfast. thanks for sharing. :))

Ann said...

Well those look rather yummy. I need snacks like that instead of the junk I eat. I do eat oatmeal but usually as a hot cereal. I buy the instant stuff and make it in the microwave

Rose said...

I should try this for Roger...he puts all chocolate in fridge. He loves oatmeal raisin cookies...so am thinking he would like these.

Rose said...

how much peanut butter do you use?

The Adventures of the LLB Gang said...

What a great idea, Sandra! I can't wait to try it!!

Chatty Crone said...

I love oatmeal - steel cut - cooked for 30 minutes - but hot.

Hey one kind of artificial sugar is deadly to dogs. Xytol? I think - you may want to check it out.

sandie

Debby@Just Breathe said...

They sound yummy. Nice to change things up!

Linda said...

What a great idea!! I love how you think outside the box!
Louis Dean loves oatmeal and I am embarking on a heart healthy food plan for him! This may be on the menu! Thank you!!

DeniseinVA said...

I'll have to try it this way. Great idea! I like my oatmeal with dried cranberries and apples. I remember eating it cold when I was a kid and enjoyed it. I'll have to try it again now that you have sown the seed :)