Saturday, May 4, 2019

Who Knew?





Who knew 30 years ago when we bought our home, it would come to the day I would need a college education to buy new lightbulbs. Both bathrooms, last remodeled in 1989, came with these light bars. At the time we had EIGHT round bulbs, white. I could run in any store, grab a box of FOUR and come home and stand on tiptoes to replace. them.
Along came CLEAR light bulbs, Easy Peasy, 4 in a package. I made the choice to choose because I COULD SEE my wrinkles in the mirror better. Also I could see my eyelashes to put on Mascara. Who knew I would become allergic to mascara, but that is another story. I still need to SEE my face to cover the wrinkles.
This week after wandering through the newly remodeled Walmart, I found the lightbulbs. First they came in a package of 3, not 4 but since only 2 were burned out, I grabbed the pack of 3 CLEAR bulbs.

It seems I have shrunk because tiptoes were almost not enough to reach the bulb. I replaced the two dark ones and was immediately Blinded with the kind of light that you see when you are standing pumping gas into you auto gas tank. See those YELLOW elements? they are LED... ON MY WORD!
I had two BRILLIANT LED and two Golden Glow (see above light bar that has one gold) 
Without thinking I grabbed the 3rd bulb while saying ugly things about needing ONE MORE. I grabbed the HOT bulb, shrieked, turned off the lights, counted to 100 and replaced the 3rd one.
You see above what I am dealing with. I don't like the light from the LED but they don't make the others any more.  Now I will have to HOPE I cover the wrinkles properly since I look like Morticia in the Adams Family in this new light.
Everytime I turn on the lights and see ONE GOLDEN BULB I go CRAZY.
Bob said do NOT drive to Walmart for one bulb, just wait until you go on Saturday.
PS.. I wanted the  1989 candle bulbs that go in the 3 ceiling fans but neglected to look to see if they are skinny butt or fat butt bulbs. The bulbs have been in the fans for 20 years because I hate them and rarely turn them on.
If I were not married to Bob the we don't need new things until it will not work at all person, the fans and light bars would be gone, If I die first he can deal with it...If Not you know what I will be doing.

19 comments:

Ginny Hartzler said...

First the government orders us what kind of toilet to use, now light bulbs! When will it stop? It was so great to just have incandescent and fluorescent to choose from. We knew exactly what to buy. But NO, nothing good lasts forever. There are so many kinds of different bulbs, each with it's own pros and cons, that I never know what to buy. And yes, shelves and things I used to reach with ease just a year or so ago, I cannot reach anymore!

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
You had me in fits of cackles - having just gone through introducing cuzzy D to the art of changing downlight bulbs from the top step of a two step ladder. I ended up doing it and the darn thing still wouldn't play!!! I bemoan the lack of simplicity in lighting now that everything has to be LED this and halo that and no fitting seems to be standard these days. Good luck with the mascara. YAM xx

Rose said...

I looked at light bulbs and stuff in that dept and came home empty handed. Really need new fixtures in our bedroom and it is more than I can handle.

Hootin Anni said...

...not to mention bulbs for a dimmer switch! (If you put in a regular bulb to replace...it won't work)

Ann said...

I have that same light bar in my bathroom but it has 5 bulbs. The LED issue was a very sore subject with Wade. He was an incandescent mechanic and worked for a company that made light bulbs. That's why he lost his job. They continued to make bulbs long after the US said they were no longer allowed because they sold to other countries that still use them. The problem was they could no longer get some of the materials they needed to make them. I fortunately have a supply of those bulbs for my bathroom that Wade brought home from work. I would hate to have 5 LED bulbs in there. I would blind myself every morning. Give me a good old incnadescent light bulb any day.

eileeninmd said...

Hello,

There are way too many light bulbs and sizes. I think my night light is bright. I like a soft white and not those bright white bulbs. Enjoy your day!

Forsythia said...

Every little stupid thing seems to be getting complicateder and complicateder and I am weary of it. Your post touched a sensitive nerve.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

It really is a challenge to get the right thing! But you made it sound like fun...teehee! Hugs!

My Mind's Eye said...

I hear you loud and clear.
Guess who started hoarding old fashion light bulbs....about 5 years ago
My B...yes we have 3 copy paper boxes and 2 drawers full of them.
Hugs Cecilia

DawnTreader said...

I'm getting used to the new kinds of bulbs now but it did take me some time. I think I still have some spare old ones saved as well (but typically one rarely seems to have exactly the kind that one needs at any particular moment!)

Mevely317 said...

Ya, that first photo would even drive me batty. (-ier than I already am.)
Laughing, on account Tom and I had a few snippy moments in Wal-Mart's light bulb aisle just yesterday.
I'll never understand why people have to try and fix something's that not broken. Geesh!

Ruth Hiebert said...

Those LED lights are definitely much brighter. I have them in my house too.

photowannabe said...

Like everyone else that commented...I have the same story
A true hate relationship with the bulbs and I have come home from the store without any bulbs because I couldn't figure out the right kind I needed..and I have gotten the wrong kind of end too...should have been long not stubby...and oh the LED brilliance can be horrific.
P. S. those "long life..expensive" bulbs...AIN'T !!!
OKAY, rant over...boy did you hit a nerve with me.

Terra said...

This senior citizen totally agrees with you, there are now so many types of bulbs with so many light/watt options, and the soft white and the other white, etc. Some of the packages say things like "60 watts equivalent to 50 watt", good grief. And don't get me started on low flow toilets which are required where I live.

Chatty Crone said...

Oh man and I agree with you about the bulbs. And they are more expensive too.

Now Bob and Rick have to be twins. Nothing is fixed or replaced unless absolutely necessary.

Same about our demises too.

susie @ persimmon moon cottage said...

Oh those weirdly, super bright blue/white light bulbs are the worst in my opinion. They must be what the aliens use when they are about to abduct people.

I just went through something similar with light bulbs at our house a couple of days ago. The lights in our living room and dining room have a normal sort of yellow cast to them, old style, cozy, but the other day the one in our sort-of colonial style lamp burned out and I went to the closet to get a replacement. I put the new bulb in the lamp and turned the lamp on and the brightness was searing. How high of wattage bulb do I have here, I wondered? I turned the lamp off and checked it and it said 60 just like all of the other bulbs in the living room, but this one beamed a bright blueish white color. If I would have had a scalpel and a willing patient for some sort of surgery I could have performed surgery right there, in our living room with this light, even though I'm not a surgeon.

My husband came in and honestly didn't see any problem with having this one blindingly bright, blue/white light in the room where the rest of the lights are nice and cozy. He got a bit snitty and accused me of just being too particular. I went back to the closet and searched and searched and finally found a regular bulb and was able to take that inquisition-torture-bright bulb out. It will be used in the basement.

Saimi said...

Oh my goodness!!! Makes me thankful my husband is an electrician so I can leave all the lighting decisions to him.

Just Mags said...

i hope you will soon be able to get the bulbs in the bar just like you like them sweet Sandra. I have a mixture of types of bulbs around my home...some I like some I don't care for. Not much we can do when what we prefer is no longer available. Hugs

Debby@Just Breathe said...

I'm not a fan of LED either. Have you tried Amazon?
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=round+light+bulbs+for+bathroom&crid=1T2ZYRV4EJ5SD&sprefix=round+ligh+%2Caps%2C209&ref=nb_sb_ss_sc_1_11