Saturday, July 27, 2019

The Storm, The meeting and the dumb bunnies



Photos  I took from local news broadcast on TV. 
We have had violent storms, every single day, sometimes 3 of them a day, for 2 weeks.
in one evening , right at bed time, we had 1000 strikes in one storm.
NEED I REMIND you Big Boy is terrified of storms. YIKES

a few days ago, A man standing out  side of a restaurant on Clearwater Beach, was struck and  died 3 days later, 7 others standing with him were injured and burned. 
Life guards cleared the beach, they chose to stand outside. Not Good Choice!

It is common here for  people, cows, horses and homes to be struck during storms.  We receive automated warning calls when one of these is headed for our location, much like the tornado warnings in other states.


THEY warn. If you can see it or hear the thunder it CAN hit you and it can go many miles.



Thursday at 7:55 I left home for my TOPS meeting and  raced the coming storm to get there before it hit. I  made it by 5 minutes, so did Mable.

We stood staring at the walk way closed with yellow tape and red signs that said Condemned building, do not enter. We could see tire tracks that ended in our door, with walls crumbled and the poles that had propped up the ceiling to the walkway.
Marge drove up, the three of us stood gaping at the damage and taking wild guesses as what happened to the building.  The Storm Struck, KABOOM! and a flashflood of rain.

we Leapt 😁into Mable's Car.

We could not see out, the windows fogged from our breathing hard, the thunder rolled, the rain flooded.
Walking to the office was a NO, sense we were trapped in the car with raging bolts of lightning dropping from the sky... Marge read the phone number to the office, Mable dialed it and we got the fax machine. We decided the office was not open yet.

A half our later, we had called all the members and canceled the meeting and then decided to VERIFY the Phone Number. Aha! She had typed a 2 not a 3... The office answered.
We canceled for NO REASON! when they shored up the roof line, they moved our Cabinet into the main church building. There it sat, waiting for us to get brave enough to go inside.
IF I had gone inside instead of sitting in the car, we would have found we did not have to cancel the meeting.
The four of us decided to go find the cabinet. (did I mention during the storm, Sue arrived and was standing in the rain under her umbrella staring at the yellow tape, and had no idea we were all in Mable's car. remember the fogged windows?)  Marge cracked her door and screamed Sue, Sue leapt 😁 in the car.
It was still raining when we decided to go inside and find the cabinet, as we walked around the building, .. I kept screaming saying OUR UMBRELLAS ARE LIGHTNING RODS... We Survived but the meeting did not..... meanwhile when I got home...…………… To be continued

16 comments:

Ginny Hartzler said...

WOW, what a story! A short film could be made out of it, and it would be really suspenseful! I even love your title. I don't quite understand about what the cabinet is, and what that means to the meeting though. These pictures are frightening and amazing. I know that lightening can strike you from many miles away. I also think you wouldn't have even left the house if you were not their fearless leader.

Linda P said...

A frightening experience, Sandra! Stay safe and I hope the storms calm down especially for BB's sake. We've been having thunder and lightning storms in the night. I sleep through them, but this morning I'm up early because as soon as it gets light I'm awake and ready for the day. Hubby sleeps on....

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari Om
Wowsers... so glad you are safe. This read like a suspense novel! YAM xx

Hootin Anni said...

My goodness!! I am ready to read the next installment. What happened?!!

Ann said...

Oh my word, what a morning you had. That's too bad about the building but I'm sure glad all of you were ok.

Rose said...

Oh. My I am on pins and needles wondering what next?

eileeninmd said...

Hello,

What a story, I am glad you were all safe. People should not stay near any water during a lightning storm, it is dangerous. Stay safe and I wish you a good day!

Betty Manousos said...

oh my, what a story! glad you were all safe, what a morning you had. I'm so afraid of lightning..stay safe . thinking of you. lots of love and big hugs!!!

Mevely317 said...

OH! The way in which you've told this story … I was right there with you. (Trying not to panic.) There's many things I miss about Florida, but the vicious lightning storms aren't one of them. SMH, how many people are ignorant about that.

… And yes, I've often wondered why I go running around in the rain holding a lightening rod like the Statue of Liberty.

Heidrun Khokhar, KleinsteMotte said...

Oh yea this is a hair raising post, goose bumps too. Too many storms!!!
Why do so many people love Florida?
So glad you all kept safe but what is next?

Debby@Just Breathe said...

Oh my word, that's some story you're telling. Glad you were safe. Looking forward to hearing the rest. That lightning is wild!!!

My Mind's Eye said...

Jimny Cricket I have heard Florida has more lightning strikes a year than anywhere in the US. WOW....and it is so scary. Poor BB and you and Bob having to comfort that sweet BB...or does Bob even hear it? LOL
Your TOPS was an adventure this week
Hugs Cecilia

photowannabe said...

Oh whew...what a crazy adventure. glad you all were safe and I would rather be safe than sorry...any-hoo, there is always next week!!

Susie said...

What a trick, now I have to come back to finish this story. LOL I hate using umbrellas in storms. :) Blessings, xoxo, Susie

Ruth Hiebert said...

Oh my. Just be careful in those storms.

LC said...

That is scary stuff. Bravo that you and your friends are cautious ladies and took no chances.