Saturday, June 20, 2020

Ultra ULTA sound




Wed we had an appointment for an Ultrasound on Bob's left carotid, Annual visit, No Big Deal. 
Been there, done that 9 times over the 3 years since his stroke and surgery in Sept 2017.

I fretted all week, thinking they would not let me go in with him, and watch # 10 ultrasound. I trust no one in the medical profession.
 
Surprise # 1, the office was empty, they let me sit with him and fill out the forms.
Surprise #2, when the tech called us back, it was NOT the one that did the past 9.
Surprise #3 She gave me permission to tag along and peer over her shoulder.

The tech was Tiny, VERY young, Heavy Accent and soft spoken. Bob could hear nothing she said. I could tell because she was asking him questions, he nodded his head and said Uh Huh.
I said to her, he can't hear a word you are saying, she laughed and said That is the story of my life, EVERY Day...I answered her questions, she said to him, turn you head towards me. He did nothing.
She turned his head towards her.
I piped up and said, are you doing both sides? he only gets it on the left side. 
She said Yes, held the wand on his neck. Stopped, got up walked to laptop leaned in and read for a minute and said, No, it is only the left side. OH MY WORD! 
What if I was not there? would she do both? would the insurance NOT pay? 

The test over, she said to Bob, you can sit up now, and handed him a kleenex and said clean it off, sit up and wait there.

 HE HEARD NOTHING. I knew this because he laid there cleaning his throat. Did not sit up.
I said LOUDLY you can sit up. He sat up, stood up and started to leave the room. She said NO NO, sit back down, I quickly used my Big boy dog training skills.
Big sits if we point at him and stays when I hold palm out.

I waved my hand at Bob to get his attention, Pointed at him, and held out the Stay command.
He did it without a word.  He sat, and stayed. I was hysterical, she had no idea, she was typing and not looking at him. When she finally stopped pecking around on the screen that did not look or sound like the other 9, and I sat wondering is she did the right test.
She stood up and said you can leave now. He just sat there.
I kid you not, I pointed and did the come hand signal and he did.
On the way to the car we got to laughing hysterically about him obeying the dog commands. I saw a few older people looking at us like what are they laughing about.

As we drove home, he said did that machine sound funny to you? Did the screen look okay? It did not make the same noises.
He was right. I do hope he got the correct test....... she typed with 1 finger, and it took twice as long. I wanted to say give me the wand,I can do this...


19 comments:

Ginny Hartzler said...

This is hysterical! Phil & I are both laughing! But now you have discovered a good way to communicate with Bob at appointments! Yes, this test is making even me nervous! Let me know when you find anything out. She seems kind of inept...

CheerfulMonk said...

It's a good thing she let you in with him! I, too, would be nervous about the test.

Linda said...

You two are amazing!!! I need to teach Louis Dean some of these skills! But we only have two kittens and that's not the same as dogs!
I could not go in with Louis Dean last week with the visit to his cardiologist. She asked him if he wanted a written report and he said yes. She said she would mail it but I have not received it yet. I will call Monday and ask about it. HE said SHE said to cut back on his blood pressure meds.....????
I will send a note pinned to his shirt next time saying 'Write down what you say to him!'

diane b said...

It was so good that you were able to go in with him especially as he can't hear. As usual you made me laugh giving him the dog signals. So good that you could both have a laugh about it together. Laughing is the best medicine. Hope the tests go okay.
I sometimes go with Bill to his cardiologist. Last time I went the doctor had Bill's pacemaker connected to his computer. Bill has a pace maker to keep his heart beating in the right rhythm. The doc said lets look at his own rhythm and turned off the pace maker. I was watching the screen and the line went flat. The doc had flat lined him. Doc suddenly said 'Oops sorry. Are you okay? and quickly turned the pace maker back on. Bill had started to get dizzy and lowering his head ready to pass out. Doc apologised and said he didn't realise that there was no natural beat left in his heart. So now he is solely dependent on the machine. This story makes the doctor look silly but in fact he is very good and we have all confidence in him.

Hootin Anni said...

Omg to Diane's comment!

But, that test & new techno-girl has even ME concerned. Keep us posted on the outcome. Now, Bob on your hand commands...good tricks.

Ann said...

That is funny. Thankfully Bob knows the commands..lol
Good thing you were able to go in. Before I got my hearing aids I had gone to the doctor and had a student come in to do the intial questions. I couldn't hear him and kept asking him to repeat. I even told him I had a hearing problem. Why is it that people who know you can't hear won't make much of an effort to speak louder so that you can hear

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
gotta take the bright side, right? (no, I'm not that good at puns...) YAM xx

eileeninmd said...

Helo,

It was a good thing they let you with Bob during the test. The hand signals work well. Usually they will look over the test before they let you leave to make sure it looks ok. I hope the test results are good!
Wishing you a happy day!

crafty cat corner said...

I'm with you on being there to watch the procedures. Tom would let them do anything and take any pills they said. If I wasn't in charge he would be on a wheel barrow full of pills now. As it is I have monitored them and he has got on without most of them for years.
Tom is deaf as well. You know how frustrating that is don't you Sandra. I have pretty much given up talking to him now unless he is in front of me, in fact I think it might be a good idea to take up sign reading lessons, LOL
Briony
x

My Mind's Eye said...

Oh dear me...thank goodness you were with him and even more that you and Bob know hand commands. lOL
BB would be proud.

Hugs HiC

Mevely317 said...

OMW, I'm laughing hysterically! You two are a Dream Team. (Oops, I should have said "you three" … can't leave Big out!)
Seriously, I'm also wondering if this tech got it right, or if this is a newer machine with differing bells and whistles. Soooo glad you were able to accompany him! Suppose someone made a note on his chart to that effect last time?

PS - Precious photo!

Debby@Just Breathe said...

What a time you had. I love the dog commands....LOL!

photowannabe said...

Whew....at least you got him back into the clinic. Too funny Sandra. I love the dog commands..at least they worked. Sure hope the test was correct and he passed with flying colors.
I bet you could have done the test with 100% positive results.
(((hugs)))
Sue

Rose said...

Maybe all of us should teach our hard of hearing husbands hand signals. I do hope t was the right test.

Ruth Hiebert said...

Your hand signals are too funny, but all is well, because they worked.

Inger said...

This was hilarious! So glad you and Bob had a good laugh together. I too hope she did the right thing with the right machine and all that. But still, it was good to hear about the giggles and the commands. Loved it!

Chatty Crone said...

I was on the floor rolling around in laughter. That being said it was great you were there. I hope his tests come out fine. He has to be a relative of my husband tho.

KB said...

Thanks for the hilarious story! I wish my husband would respond to dog hand signals!!!!! I sure hope that the test comes out well.

Susan from Bucks County said...

That was too funny! You have your husband well trained - LOL! Hope the test turn out OK. Take care!!