Saturday, August 1, 2020

The Surgery Part 2

ME waiting for 1 hour 10 minutes that felt like 10 hours.
I have taken Bob to 5 offices since the virus thing started. Yowsa!
I had a beautiful view, and it was nice they let me wait in the lobby, BUT, it was really hot. 97 outside and the ceilings was about 12 feet tall, the back where Bob was was icy cold.
You may notice I had on a different mask from yesterday, NOT that it matters but i have 23 masks, I only bought a pack of 7, the rest were gifts. Sorry my brain is rattled and I don't know what i Meant to say.
OK, brain has rebooted, back to the update

Above top left is the eye at 5 pm when we got home from the 2nd surgery. the sad face is at wakeup today, 4 AM and a close up of the incision in the GOOD eye. she took what she needed from the exact same spot as the other eye, he was awake through all this. Just numbing shots in the corner of his eyes.

You can see it is puffy.
The Big Problem Now!!!
She gave us a LIST of DO NOT DO THESE THINGS and a short list of DO these things.

First she said make 3 small baggies of frozen peas, put the tiny ice packs on the good eye, for 48 hours. Keep one on for 20 minutes wait 20 and repeat. HE DID IT 3 times when I used MY LOUD voice!

Do not lie flat for 72 hours

Do not bend over, do not lift anything heavy, do not do ANYTHING that makes you sweat!
We LIVE IN FLORDIA~ Sweat Country
Stay inside AC! if you sweat it wets the bandage. do not get the bandage even damp until Tuesday when we remove it.

DO sleep with head propped up for 72 hours! use a recliner!
Do NOT lay flat!
We have no recliner! I made a bed prop and a sofa prop
He said I can't sleep like that. ARRRHH

While creating this, phone rang at 9 am, 2nd day.
Doctor Chapman calling, she asked about how the good eye looks? ask a lot of questions, gave me new instructions and her cell phone and said call me any time if he has a problem.
I said I forgot to tell you he started antibiotics 2 days ago. His annual blood labs said he has UTI and primary called it in.
She said that if great, I was thinking of putting him on them. Perfect she said.
new orders
Stop Tylenol, use the pea ice bags, take Benadryl 1 every 5 hours, to help with swelling, itching and to help him get through the aggravation of the big bandage. He was shocked to hear me talking to her.

This may sound easy peasy, but Bob has a routine for each day and he can do NONE of it until next Tuesday.
3:30 am swim laps in our pool
coffee and TV news and breakfast
6:30 walk Dog
Watch more news
9 am pole brush our pool, get in pool and use skim net while swimming and walking
10 am MORE NEWS and Motor Trend shows
12 lunch
12:30 swim in pool
More TV
3 pm feed dog, swim in pool
each day between these things he does the lawn, or pulls weeds or yanks vines off fences.
This is making him crazy and it has not been 24 hours yet.

HE IS FINE just miserable
I am fine, Just on "guard duty" and miserable for HIM
Big thinks his daddy has lost his mind. 


Linda said...

It's a CIRCUS!! But you will get through this and so will Bob and Big!!
I must tell you - I think you are amazing! Doing all this while still keeping your wonderful sense of humor intact!
Love and prayers each and every day!

Hootin' Anni said...

You go girl! Guard, guard, gaurd...keep him from doing the don't. Hope you, dear one, can rest thru this, it must be grueling. Heck, I KNOW is grueling. And, Bob? Be fair to your sweetheart...Sandra needs you to cooperate!!

Ann said...

What an experience. I feel for him having such a big list of things he can't do. I also feel for you having to make sure he follows orders.

eileeninmd said...


I am glad he has you there to make sure he follows all the doctors orders. You are doing a great job of taking care of Bob. I am glad he is doing fine, you are doing fine and BB is there to watch over both of you. Take care, stay cool. Have a great day!

Jo said...

Oh Sandra what an involved business. It seems as though Bob is an easy patient . Is he? Grant was very tetchy with all his surgeries in the last years of his life. Very impatient - with me! I look forward to seeing the eye with the bandage off. I have had an attachment to my leg for four weeks. It comes off Monday. I will be relieved so feel for Bob. And for you...

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Thanks for the surgery update, Sandra. That is quite the list of dos and don’ts and it’s good you are there as the enforcer. Staying inside with AC all the time can be maddening for Bob but eye surgery is a serious matter.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

Just keep reminding him it will be SO worth it! I know he hates not being able to do all of his healthy activities. But the time will be over and he'll be so much better for years to come. Take care of yourself my friend. Hugs to you both!

Rose said...

You have done put in a full days work and it has only less one day is done.

My Mind's Eye said...

Oh my be YOU would be Blue...but you are a trooper and Bob is lucky to HAVE YOU!!! Tell him I said so every time he grumbles. Now if we can fast forward to Tuesday. Tell BB his dad has not lost his mind just his mojo for a few days.
Hugs cecilia

Terri said...

I am so glad Bob is past the surgeries. I can't even imagine following all those orders- especially the don't sweat, don't bend over, don't lay flat- geepers! Sending up and extra prayer for both of you. Blessings and this too shall pass!

Mevely317 said...

You two have been weighing on my mind since I was first woke up at 3-something by a fur baby to go out ... for NO REASON. (Yep, came back in and went back to sleep.)
LOUD VOICE or not, I'm so relieved Bob's complying with the doc's orders! I suspect he realizes this is just as hard on you. These pictures actually look better than what I'd imagined. Methinks once this is all behind y'all, a celebration (of some sort?) is in order.

PS - The last 3 years Tom can only sleep without pain if he's propped up. I hate our old couch, but blessedly it has really high arms.

Cynthia said...

Oh my. Oh my. Oh my. Tuesday probably seems to be light-years away, but it's coming, it's coming. How difficult it must be to be cooped up with a crosspatch Bear and to be the Bear's enforcer. You will get through this. Extra hugs and kisses you for and the Bear.

Chatty Crone said...

He gets up at 3:30am to clean the pool? Yikes.
Okay poor guy - he can't do anything - that must be so hard on him.
If it is hard on him it is hard on you.
You are so faithful to him.
I am going to pray.
He can't get that infected!
Hope they got all the cancer out.
Love, sandie

Gayle said...

Funny you should mention it. I've been wondering if you now have pool skimming duty etc. So used to seeing Bob doing that in your photos. Just glad its only til Tues before some activity can resume. At our ages muscles, joints and brains don't like to take a break.

Ruth Hiebert said...

Bob is so lucky to have you there with him.

photowannabe said...

Wow, you are really in a trial by fire...BUT
knowing you , you will get through this with both of you intact !!
I'm so glad you could be in the first surgery. I really think that helped both of you survive.
Now that you know the way maybe the travel won't seem so horrendous.
It's hard to keep a good man down but I pray Bob will cooperate and help the healing along. You may have to hold the promise of doing more surgery or loosing his eye as blackmail to get him to behave. It will be hard but 4 days from now will be a better life for both of you.

Ginny Hartzler said...

The eye she took the graft from looks wonderful and precise! You look mad waiting, and I can see why. I had to wait 6 hours, it was a nightmare. i may have told you this 100 times? Can't remember anymore. I loved reading about Bob's daily routine. Next, post YOUR routine. Including days of the week plans. So did she say that she is sure they got it all? Is she waiting for pathology results? your last sentence gave me a HUGE laugh!! I think for Bob, your dogs are therapy dogs for him, have you ever thought about that?

CheerfulMonk said...

He is so lucky to have you! But I do sympathize with him too. At least the surgery is over and the healing has started. Fingers crossed for you both, and thank you so much for sharing.

Linda P said...

I've been thinking of you and Bob, but haven't had a opportunity to say here.
I'm so glad the surgery is over as it's an ordeal for both of you. Praying that all will continue to go well with a speedy healing and a good outcome. Take care of yourself as well as Bob.

Betty Manousos said...

good morning, Sandra. i'm glad he is doing fine. oh my, you're really in a trial but this will pass soon and you will get through this.
take care my friend. sending lots of love.


Debby@Just Breathe said...

I know you can't wait until Tuesday! So much going on. Glad the doctor got in touch with you. Take care. ((Hugs)) The important thing is that he is doing well.

diane b said...

Oh dear what a hard time for you both. As if the op wasn't bad enough but now the recovery and a pandemic on top of that. Sending hugs and love.
Australia which was doing so well at flattening the curve has been hit by a second wave worse than the first. It is mainly in the state of Victoria. Melbourne has gone into stage 4 lockdown and night curfew for 6 weeks. I worry about my daughter's family in Melbourne.

It's all because of idiots in the community. Security guards in hotels where returned overseas travellers were being quarantined were not doing their job properly, even partying and having sex with those in quarantine. Then the guards returned home and to their community and the virus spread like wild fire.

In Qld we were doing really well no cases for weeks. Our borders were shut for weeks and all was good but the border was open a few weeks ago to help the tourism and catering industries. Now the border is open for those not coming from Victoria or greater Sydney where another outbreak has occurred. We all knew it would get back into QLD somehow and sure enough three stupid bimbos flew to Melbourne went to an illegal party and then flew back to Brisbane and lied about their names addresses and where they had been. They were caught 8 days later so now our health dept are madly trying to trace their contacts and they have been arrested for fraud. We have only 3 cases so far and one of those was a
diplomat returning from Afghanistan. But things might be worse in two weeks.
I shouldn't complain as things are much worse where you are.

The Gang at LLB said...

Hang in there...only one more day after today!!! Sending prayers for patience!