Monday, January 11, 2021

Days Off from blogging 2

 


The reason I had to go into toss it all out mode, is all the Covid-19 storage space.
My closets have always had empty spaces. 

Now there are cleaning supplies and TP.
Extra Food

Above  photo is looking down into 3 drawers, that are under the NOOK
The last photo below is the cabinet under the nook.

The problem is, that bottom shelf and 2 on the top shelf are
PHOTO Albums.
The Plan!
Empty cabinet and drawers completely.

Toss/Trash/Organize

The Problem!

Bottom shelf contains 17 photo albums. No one has looked at them in 20 years.
Wedding Pics of my first wedding. Album of all the cards and list of gifts.
1963!
We were divorced in 1980, he died in 2006, our sons do not want them.
Will I toss them?
I compromised, took 12 8x10 Wedding Photos put in envelope to save.
Through both albums in trash with all the STUFF.

Did you know old photos kinda sorta stink?

4 albums full of photos of birds and flowers, and beaches and trees, that I took on vacations with film and prints.
TOSSED! album and all.
I gave up on the rest to save for another day.

Day 2 ended with 2 closets and the cabinet below decluttered and organized.

I had so much to dump, I rolled the big Green Trash Bin right up on the front porch. 
All i had to do was open the door and toss.

I Learned a LOT.

CD/DVD can't go in the recycle, I had 2 drawers full that I tossed.

I learned that last month I broke the law by throwing an old DVD player in the green trash can.

Who knew it is illegal in Florida to throw any type of electronics in the trash. they must be taken to an E-recycle plant. 

I had 87 million cords. I had no clue what they went to or what they were for. A box full. Some I had marked and I found one that went to the HP I bought it 1997.

I have hoarded that large box of cables and cords because I was afraid I would need them but how would I know I needed it It I Don't Know What It is For?

the bed is piled with cords and computers and things I don't know what they go to.
Now I have to find a place to take them.

I forgot to mention we had WWIII, when I asked Bob to remove the hard drive from the computer and smash it.
Who Knew how difficult that could be.

First I watched a you tube video on how to identify the hard drive and how to remove it.

I pointed it out to someonewhohasnocluebutknowseverythingbetter and said just remove those 3 screws, slide it forward and lift it out.

Note! I stole that long word from Easy blog...

Cover your ears! 2 screws came out, one could not be reached!
I will skip the he said/she said War.

I kindly said, don't you think you could work better on your work bench?
(he was using the desk)
The words again!
The next thing  I hear is a pounding sound from the back yard. I go to see what he is doing and he is using a
 HATCHET!

Not the hammer side, but the sharp ,will cut your hand off kind.
The kind that was throwing steel shards into the air close to the eyes that were not covered.
Ear Burning Words were spewing with each shop!
I am sure the neighbors ears are totally burned.

He could not smash it but the video said if it is bent in 3 places that is good enough.
I begged him to stop before I had to call 911.

For Your Protection!
It is illegal in Florida and most states to put Electronics in your trash bins or to burn them.
I HAD NO IDEA
We have placed TV, Microwaves, Computer Monitors at the curb.
They disapear because people stop and take them. 

Did you know it is Illegal in Most States, and in Florida to put Electronics in the trash or burn them.
Devices include
 televisions and computer monitors,
computers, printers,
 VCRs, cell phones, telephones, radios,
and microwave ovens.
 DVD players, routers, chargers, insulated cables and wires...
cameras, camera accessories.
batteries of any kind.
they do not pick up E trash, we must find a place to take it.

But wait, there May be More...


22 comments:

Linda said...

I can’t wait! You are on a roll, girl! I need to take whatever you’re taking! Crackers and milk? I’m in if it can make me do what YOU are doing!

Ginny Hartzler said...

Good grief, I had no IDEA!! And you are really on a ROLL, and doing great!! Oh gosh, I hope beau doesn't run a small metal shard in his paw!! You need a yard vacumn!

CheerfulMonk said...

I knew about electronics, not about cables. As I’ve mentioned before we have two printers and a microwave-convection oven on the porch because they’re too heavy for us to carry down the stairs to the car so we can drive them to be recycled.

I’m the one who destroys old hard drives, and it is a big deal.

You are doing great!

easyweimaraner said...

we had the disposal problem too... mark is a messie, he had his own e-trash dumpster in our attic... we had to pay a lot for getting rid of this ole crap... and I hope he will change that habit to keep such stuff...

eileeninmd said...

Hello,
We did the same thing a while back, throwing out all the old photo albums. We saved some of the photos in plastic zip baggies, photos that were not ruined. We can take a lot of things to the dump and they have specific drop off places for the electronics. We may have to pay a junk hauler to remove some big old things that are broken, like my treadmill. Take care, enjoy your day! Have a great new week!

Ann said...

Hooray for you. You're doing great. I did know that electronics like tv's and computers can't go in the trash but I didn't know cables, batteries or cd's couldn't. I just threw away some old batteries the other day.

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari om
I don't think it is legal anywhere in UK or Oz, either...for as long as can remember we've had to take the stuff to the tip ourselves. A pain in the butt for those of us without transport! YAM xx

Ella said...

Fortunately, I don't have to clean up too much ... we moved 2 years ago and I cleaned up for the move!
Hugs!

Ella said...

About your comment on my blog: You made me blush ... remember you my BIG donkey mistake? Oh, I still regret it!

My Mind's Eye said...

LOL LOL are you for hire?
Well done
Hugs Cecilia

Martha said...

You are doing a great job! I did a similar cleanout when my husband was out of town for two weeks two years ago. The problem is I knew it couldn't go in the garbage and I still have a big pile of the electronics stuff sitting here waiting for my husband to take it wherever it is it needs to go!

Mevely317 said...

You go, girl! (Soul sista!)
Our current home is only a little less sq. footage than what we left in Arizona ... but has pathetically little storage and closet space. And Tom's the same way as Bob, refusing to part with any electrical cord. Of course, we had a 'similar discussion' recently about what they are and where they go. In my prior life I used to be really into scrapbooking. Not the pretty, decorative kind, mind you. But still. I just looked and mine number 14, 99% of which dates back to me and Ron.
Oh, BTW. It may be illegal, but I can't imagine anyone's going to turn you in for the electronics that 'accidentally' wound up in the big green bin. I don't know about Florida, but here in Alabama we have to jump through hoops, drive miles and show proof of residency to dispose of electronics.

Hootin Anni said...

I have computers and appliances that need to be picked up (our city collects them at curbside every three months...free) But it's not against the law...there are no laws that prohibits disposing of them in your trash bins. Just discouraged. As in Florida, according to Florida.gov

Jun 24, 2020 — The Florida Department of Environmental Protection strongly recommends recycling all unwanted electronic products such as televisions, computers and cell phones. While Florida has no specific laws or regulations that apply to discarded electronic products.

Miss Kim said...

I completely understand you! It is almost impossible to wreck a computer bad enough that you won't worry about someone else finding it!

Chatty Crone said...

Oh my goodness I had no idea at all! My basement - if we ever move - is FULL TO THE BRIM with stuff like that. I have to get a handle on all of this! lol

DeniseinVA said...

Great job!!! It is amazing what we accumulate over the years. I have to do the same but my motivational fairy hasn’t arrived yet.

photowannabe said...

Our "garbage" company has special times when they will pick up the electronics for free. We got rid of a lot of stuff that way. The dump has a special area for receiving electronics but it's a pain to get there and sometimes costs but it can be worth it to get rid of it.
Goodness you were quite the dynamo this past weekend.
Good for you. Sometimes I sure don't know why we keep some of the things we do.
Maybe that's why it feels so good to be selling some of our "treasures" on Ebay.
We're trying to save our kids some of the trouble of just dumping things that really are worth something.
Hope you can figure out some way to dispose of your "clutter"
Sue

Ruth Hiebert said...

cleaning out and cleaning up is so encouraging . I tend to go through a spell like that each January. What I have done with old prints is to take a simple photo shot of them. I then back up ALL my pictures to several places online. This way, if the house should burn or moisture get into the photos, they are safe online. A computer crash can also cause all photos on hard drives to disappear . I had it happen. that's where i was so thankful that they were all stored online.

photowannabe said...

Sandra, the park was built in the old Granite Quarry.
Our whole area is granite quarries...granite used on the capitol building among other things. I think that's why out town is called Rocklin...there is a lot of history in our area, from the Transcontinental Railroad to the discovery of gold.
Good question about the blocks of granite.
They sold the Quarry property right after we moved here and a company has built a zip-line in the actually quarry pit. Quite fascinating.
Sue

Rose said...

Well, I learned something...I did not know all the things that are illegal. I will have to assign a corner, or spot in the garage to this type of stuff. I have a lot of cords and cables, too. Or did...I may have gotten rid of some of them. Yeah for you having the courage to trash photos you no longer look at.

You probably could not stand to be in my house...it is so cluttered right now that I can barely stand it myself. I told Roger he would be amazed at how much time I spend thinking about what to do witheverything till it will look neater.

I think one thing I am doing is getting rid of part of the pillows. You would not believe how many bed pillows are in this house. Mainly due to trying to find one we like. But it is crazy to keep all of them.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Thanks Sandra for sharing lots of useful info in this post. I did know about electronics not being recyclable, and have seen TVs, printers and such tossed in the large disposal units in the rear of the apts. like you, this year I am going to sort through photo albums, remove photos, put in an album and send to some family members. You are so right in saying that no one looks at or seems to want albums, sadly. Years ago, I tossed out my slides and film negatives and donated a slide projector and slide carousels to a thrift store when they still took such items back then. And, we have also smashed hard drives, but what a chore that is as you so correctly posted about.

Debby@Just Breathe said...

I have a huge photo project to do. They are not in books. My plan is to open each envelope from where they were printed, pick up the best of the best and toss the rest. I still think photos are important. I also know that when my aunt and uncle passed away we tossed all of their memories in photo albums. We didn't want them and they had no children. My kids won't want them. Sounds like we have the same stuff to get rid of in our house. Way to go, I'm very impressed!