Thursday, February 4, 2021

In search of Potassium

 


Most of you know I am eating foods with potassium. this is the list my Dr. gave me, divided into three photos.
Meant to help with muscle cramps.
I love bananas, have always loved them and they are my favorite fruit. I had to give them up because in my advanced AGE after eating even a half of one, in one hour I am bloated and in pain from explosive gas, followed the next Moring by cocks crow diarrhea.
Brian the life guard at the YMCA, is also an acupuncture Dr, and also treats people with Chinese Medicines.
He is the one that told me about it.
It is a chronic early morning diarrhea that happens around 5 am in the morning.
Google Cock's Crow Diarrhea for info.
He told me certain foods can aggravate it and for me it is bananas and cocanut


that is fine because I found out a small order of fast food French fries is REALLY high in potassium
A baked potato, sweet potato, Yam, spinach are all really high

I am happy to tell you my getting up every 10 minutes while sitting at my computer, and making sure i eat food with potassium at each meal, drinking my 8 glasses of water per day, is working. 
No cramps, down 5 pounds, and my pain levels in neck, back and shoulder are about 90 percent gone.
I am sticking to my food plan about 95 % of the day.. YAY
My favorite FIND on this list is Hot Chocolate that has 500 mg in one cup of hot chocolate. I have been drinking one cup in the evening for about a year. I will continue. at least I get that much. 

The thing is for my age and weight I need to consume 3500 mg of potassium a day. Almost there

21 comments:

Ginny Hartzler said...

So what KIND of hot chocolate, and what ingredient in it? Is the packets, or homemade? Wow, you are doing great, and have lost a bunch of weight!! And you have an excuse to eat fries now!

easyweimaraner said...

mark loves french fries, so he is happy that they are good for him ;O)

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari om
I love the skin of a baked potato... YAM xx

Ann said...

Some of the things on this list I already knew about but some really surprised me. I had no idea hot cocoa was that high in potassium. I have all the same questions Ginny does about that one.

eileeninmd said...

That is a nice list of foods, I have always loved sweet potatoes.
I would have thought hot chocolate would be on the list.
Take care, have a great day!

Ella said...

Thanks for the list of products that contain potassium. I will have to find out which of these products have no or less sugar!
Thanks again!
Hugs!

Rose said...

I was actually amazed at the french fries having so much in them. I am betting the water is a great help, too. I think a lot of us do not drink enough.

Forsythia said...

I am impressed with the changes you've made. Also happy to have a name for a mysterious affliction I now have, although, at 4 AM, mine is pre-cock's-crow diarrhea. Caused by the special medicine I have to take. It's starting to occur later and later in the day, which is a welcome change.

jp@A Green Ridge said...

Good girl, you are doing great with both the moving, hydration and the potassium! I'm the biggest water drinker and spinach and potato girl ever...jp

Martha said...

You go Sandra, you are doing a great job! At least there are tons of good foods that are high in potassium to choose from. I would have never guessed hot cocoa would be on the list!

Mevely317 said...

Okay, I never heard of cock's crow diarrhea -- and, in fact, nearly spit my coffee. But ya, I just asked Google Girl and there's lots of good info out there. Pretty neat, you knowing Brian and getting these tips free for nuthin.
I've got the opposite problem, but will be showing this to Tom.

So glad to hear you're nearly pain free! Oh, and congrats on the weight loss!

My Mind's Eye said...

MS you have learned a lot and I thank you for sharing. I had no idea about all the foods containing potassium.
Hugs Cecilia

Ruth Hiebert said...

A lot of foods which I enjoy are on that list. Thanks for sharing this. I have been told to make sure my potassium levels are up as well.

Chatty Crone said...

I like the foods on the list. I do take a potassium pill in addition. Are you saying you also lost 5 pounds - that is awesome. what KIND of hot chocolate?

photowannabe said...

Yay, good for you. 5 pounds is major loosing!!!
Glad you found out what you can eat and its working for you.
Hot chocolate is interesting. I think it has to do with the cocoa content. Like the darkest chocolate is the best for you.

Love most of the things on the list too.
Yesterday was a diet breaker for me..will tell you about it later today.
I am finally getting a perm this morning. The salon where I go has been officially opened again ..for the umteenth time. They always do the restrictions anyway so happy me..I just can't stand my hair any more and it needs a better haircut than I can give myself.
You go girl!!!
Sue

Grandma C said...

Yes Chocolate!!!
My husband worked with Cardiologists for years. Food choices are a balance, pick the ones that make you feel healthy and you will do alright.

Breathtaking said...

Hello Sandra!:=) So pleased your aches and pains have gone, and congrats on your weight loss. Your list is similar to mine, and they are all things I like. Having chocolate on the list is a bonus! It just shows you can eat and drink chocolate, and eat fries, and still lose weight.

My daughter makes Spinach soup for me twice a week, but I take extra potassium in powder form, but if you can do without it, it's better.

NanaDiana said...

I am glad you found something that is working for you. I used to get terrible cramps in my legs, etc., but haven't had them in years. Thank the good Lord! I am glad you like the things that you can eat that work for you and congrats on the weight loss! xo Diana

CheerfulMonk said...

Good for you!! 👍

Debby@Just Breathe said...

That's a great list. Way to go! Glad it's working.

Carol Henstra said...

I have a new doctor she has me on water a lot. Exercising. Healthy eating and yes what you eat. Oh will have a look at yours. I have to be careful with veggies. Too much it dislikes me.

I turned 79 this Sept . Where did time go.