Friday, April 30, 2021

Breaker 1-9 on Final Friday Fiction

 


That name caused the time machine to flip back to 1983.
The Mad Mind was ON.

Do you know what this is?


It is a CB Radio. Citizen Band Radio. My CB handle, or call sign was
"Cherokee Rose"



Cowgirl Boot! I wore jeans and T-shirts and boots identical to these.
the pedal inside the truck was slanted really high, the heels to boots make it comfy to drive for hours.

Internet Image Source

this is a vintage 1983 Cab Over Semi, I drove a truck just like this one, with a husband you have never before heard mentioned (and never will again).

We drove for JB Hunt in 1983/84 for 90 days. 
I had never been in a truck. We drove to Arkansas and the company put me on as co-driver and the husband taught me to drive.
They licensed me for Interstate Driving only. Did they no know the interstate goes through giant cities?

We received aBrand new truck, we removed the plastic from the seats as it was fresh from the factory.
 we put 80,000 miles on it in 90 days.
We lived those 90 days, in that truck, 3 weeks on the road, 24 hours for truck maintenance, in a motel in Hunt Home base in Lowell, Arkansas.
There is a comfy bed in the cab of that truck, It is bigger than it looks.
Showers and food came from Truck stops.
We paid MONEY to take a shower! I was totally shocked.

we moved steel  from Maine to California
and comforters and pickles and anchor hocking glass
from
California to Georgia, 
Georgia to Wyoming. 
We drove through all of the states but Six of them, the Northwest part we missed. 
I had to learn CB talk.

Cherokee Rose calling Breaker 19 for a radio check
 (channel 19, can you hear me ok?)
Someone would answer,
Cherokee Rose, 10-4 Roger
(that means yes we hear you clear)
Cherokee Rose, you got a bear on your back door.
(cop behind you)

someone would key the mike and say
Chicken Coop coming up mile marker 138
(weigh station)
Smokies in the grass mile marker 140
(State police Speed Trap)
Bird dog side of the road
(radar detector set up)
Bambi on the road
(deer siting)
If you care to read it, there is a list of words here

My blog friend Hootin Annie asked on her blog, if we knew our state bird and flower. I did not know any of the three states I lived in.
I checked Georgia, Kentucky, Florida and was shocked to read Georgia, the state of my birth, 
flower is the
 Cherokee Rose.  
I must have known that back in 1983, so why did I not know it in 2021?

I know you will all have questions and I know which of you will have the MOST questions. ha ha

Cherokee Rose, over and OUT. (that means The End)
Not Fiction, All True




21 comments:

Ginny Hartzler said...

I DID know that you drove a semi, but none of this! It is like living in a different world, with even it's own language. So during this time, you did not have a home or apartment? Here, there is a huge place called White's Truck Stop. They have a barber, movie theater, showers, different fast food shops, a Harley place, everything. You would have loved it. So did you enjoy the job, or not like it? Fascinating.

CheerfulMonk said...

Wow! That's some adventuresome life!

DeniseinVA said...

I can’t imagine driving a big rig like that one. I am impressed. This was an interesting read.

easyweimaraner said...

wow wow woooow... you drove a truck? how great is that!!! I could not even handle the little europcar thingy we rent once for moving... love that way of women behind the wheel of really BIG rides!!!

Ann said...

My brother had a CB back in the day. I knew some of the terms that they used to use.
So you were a trucker lady. I'm pretty sure you did mention this before. I'm curious like Ginny. Did you enjoy the job? I think I would be terrified driving one of those things.

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari Om
I have a cousin who is a long-distance truck driver (moved from UK to Canada about 20 years back). It's a very particular way of life... a good one to look back on like this, but I bet you are glad it's behind you too!!! YAM xx

Hootin Anni said...

As a kid, the only thing I got to do was SIT in the cab of a semi. I've often thought it would be fun to drive one...and I have great respect for those on the road!!!

I think your CB handle is great!!!!

eileeninmd said...

Hello,
I vaguely remember you mentioning the truck before. What a life, must be hard. But, the scenery would be nice to see. I have heard some CB terms that are used. I like the name Cherokee Rose. Have a great day!

Martha said...

I can't believe you drove one of those big trucks Sandra! I love your handle. I had a CB back in the day but I only used it to play around on. Of course I have a million questions but I'll respect your privacy and just let you tell us what you're comfortable with. I would love to see photos of you back then in your jeans and cowboy boots! :)

Mevely317 said...

Oh m'gosh .... SO much to love here!
Yes, I had a CB radio. Probably worth more than the car I was driving at the time. My handle was Shiloh; for no particular reason, but I loved that Neil Diamond song. I did a LOT of listening but little chat, on account I was too bashful.
NOW, color me envious. In my younger days I thought about becoming an OTR driver. Then, fascinated at what the world looked like from 'up there.' Tom had a trucker friend based out of California who kept promising me a ride the next time he came through Arizona. Unfortunately, the one time he called and said, "I'm here!" we were visiting my son in Alabama.
When the big rig carrying all our earthly belongings arrived here on Chapman Road I asked the driver if I could just peek in the cab, but he said 'no.' (I've got a couple ideas why, but kept them to myself.)

ANYway, I love this post and learning a little more about my friend!

Rose said...

I had friends that had CBs and if course Rigers dad did. When I married Roger his dad had quit the long haul driving and driving and did the deliveries there in town...I think he use just a pup most of the time...remember that term? Remember how instead of one long trailer they would have two shorter ones and they were called a set of pups? In that time dif you learn to shift gears without using clutch? Roger's dad could do that and would have taught me but I figure I would have ground the gears terrible

My Mind's Eye said...

Cherokee Rose: big wheels keep on turnin' by Alabama came to my mind.
I loved all the hwy slang and CB talk anther language entirely.
What a great (non)FFF. thoroughly enjoyed it.
Hugs Cecilia

Forsythia said...

Great post!! Reminds me of a co-worker in another life who did a little bit of everything before he ended up in an office. For awhile, he was a truck driver. He thought he'd spotted a good shortcut through a part of West Virginia. There were just a few minor squiggles on the map. Well, the squiggles turned out to be more like hairpin curves and when the trip was over, he began considering other ways to make a living.

DawnTreader said...

Blast from the past :) That radio, the first thing that came to mind for me was a friend's "mobile" phone back in the mid 1980s... Seriously, it was about that size (and weighed about a ton!) A gang of us went out to dinner at a restaurant, this couple brought their "mobile" in case their baby-sitter at home had to get in touch with them... lol

photowannabe said...

10-4 good buddy...
When I was 12 my older cousin came to visit us. He was really into CB radios and we drove all over so he could talk to his buddies. I still remember his call letters.
King 6 David , Peter, King..
I thought it was so cool..I wanted to have one too...never did though.
Fascinating about you being a "trucker" and living that life style for a while. No wonder you don't want to be on the road now...
Great post..well done.
Sue

Debby@Just Breathe said...

I can't imagine driving 80,000 miles in 90 days and living in the truck. What an amazing experience. Love your name!

The Adventures of the LLB Gang said...

I LOVE that you wore boots and were a trucker..and drove it all over the country! I always think I would love being a trucker...except for the whole taking showers at a truck stop thing LOL.

Wonderful FFF!

Ruth Hiebert said...

Thanks for opening the door just a crack to your former life. Being on the road like that cannot be easy all the time.

Tigger's Mum said...

Now we know the madness is all the way through (like a stick of Brighton Rock - you'll have to look that one up). F had a life as a lumberjack once but nothing on your life as a rig driver. Likw wow. All you needed was a travel-happy Tigger to round it all out. Everyone should build themselves a life with some stories in it. xxx Mr T

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

I also had a CB back in the day, but never had a handle and can’t even recall talking on it. This was the days way before cell phones and the CB was a just in case something happens. That was quite the former life, Sandra. My ex was also a truck driver in a family owned business, not OTR but dump trucks used in construction work mainly. I once spent 24 hours in one as he also plowed snow and it not a comfortable experience, your rig was much larger and hopefully more comfortable.

Catherine - Mixed Media Artist said...

Before I even clicked through to your post - I knew that was a CB radio - my brother had one as did many other people. He used it often and particularly when they travelled about the country (NZ) and would know about all kinds of things, meet people, camp on peoples' property...he was into searching for gem-stones back in the bush etc...