Saturday, June 26, 2021

Learning New Stuff

 

Yesterday I told you I de-constructed my laptop to remove the hard drive. It required 3 screw drivers and the internet on my phone to 
A. get it open  ( NINE screws open, and the big screw driver to pry it open)

B. figure out what the hard drive looked like. (a sensible person would have looked that up before she struggled with 6 screws and removed the big white square thing in top left, which when it was in my hand, turned out to be the DVD drawer, a few words later, I found a photo of the hard drive and removed 9 screws to get it out, the REAL hard drive is in the photo with the screw drivers)

It was a learning experience!
I learned to look through a drawer full of drivers to FIND THE TINY one, then another one because not all the screws were the same Philips head. It was trial by error, just try each one until it works.
See the yellow one above? See the 4 tiny magnets on it? 
I knew not that the silly thing was magnetized and the first 2 teeny screws rode on the tip and disappeared into thin air.
 No, really, they did.
disappeared into thin air, gone, never found

I learned to carefully pull each one off and put in a cup.
This is the best of all thing I learned.
I said to Bob, pointing to the 4 magnets, is that what makes this magnetized?

No, he said, pull them off and try picking up a screw!
It worked.
I got so excited he said, try the big screw driver on a screw. Nope will not pick up a screw!
Bob said, take one of the magnet and run it down the metal 3 time, the same way each time, not back and forth.
NOW the big screw driver was magnetized and would pick up metal.
He said now rub the magnet the opposite way 3 times and it demagnetized it.
He explained he stores those magnets on that little one, for easy access to magnetize all his screw drivers when/if needed.

WOW! I said, you do know I got C's and D's in Science. Why didn't they teach like this?
Please do not bust my bubble by all of you saying you knew this!


21 comments:

Ginny Hartzler said...

I did NOT know this, and it sounds like magic! But then again, I always knew you were a magician with computer stuff.

Olde Dame Holly said...

I will not burst your bubble! But it's good your hubby is very careful about not magnetizing his tools by accident, as many do. What are you doing removing that hard drive?

Linda said...

I dis NOT know any of this! And I still do NOT know! You are simply amazing!!!!

Tigger's Mum said...

There is lots of practical life-enhancing stuff out there that is never lesrned in schools. I've nothing against school, but life education doesn't begin and end with them lime some folks seem to believe - and you prove to us every dsy.

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
your Bob and my Dad are peas from the same pod - dad taught us such lessons when we were permitted to help out in 'his shed'. But am not busting your bubble for over the years we've probably forgotten as much! And as F (Tigger) points out, school doesn't teach such as this. You are proving that one never stops learning - and should not!!! YAM xx

Hootin Anni said...

I'm a bubble buster! My dad, and older brothers, made me "too mechanical for a girl" probably, but learning this years ago has come in handy many times. But techy stuff with computers and hard drives requires a sledge hammer for me!

eileeninmd said...

Hello,

It is new to me, I was not into science or tools. I would be like Anni and take a hammer to smash it. Thanks to you and Bob, I know now! Have a great day and a happy weekend!

Ann said...

I did not know that at all but now I want to find some magnets and try it on a screwdriver. That's really cool.

Mevely317 said...

What a cool factoid! Girl, your brain is never going to atrophy.
Dumb qustion -- what will you do with the hard drive? We still have the one from our previous computer (Tom's son removed) that's sitting in the metal filing cabinet.

Martha said...

Definitely did not know, but I agree with Anni. A job like this would be done with a sledge hammer around here lol!

My Mind's Eye said...

Bob would have been an excellent teacher. He has a gift of explaining things perfectly.
Hugs Cecilia

Inger said...

Great job, great lesson shared, thank you. I too wonder what are you going to do with the hard drive. I think I have one sitting in a drawer somewhere here. I thought when a computer breaks, isn't the hard drive broken? Or, I guess some other part could break and you would want to save the data on the hard drive. Phew, what do I know? Not much!

Chatty Crone said...

I didn't know that and not sure I know it now! lol

photowannabe said...

Nope, can't burst your bubble...I haven't a clue about any of that kind of thing.
Fascinating to read about your processes.
Well done!!
Sue...so NOT techie...

Debby@Just Breathe said...

No, I didn't know this. So what are you doing with the hard drive?

crafty cat corner said...

You must have a lot of patience, I don't think I would have bothered.
Briony
x

Catherine - Mixed Media Artist said...

with these kind of tools and things, I'm pretty well in the "school of know nothink"

Eva Wilson said...

Your information is very detailed and useful to me, thank you for sharing.
Regards,
Online Essay Help

CheerfulMonk said...

Good for you!!

Heidrun Khokhar, KleinsteMotte said...

Tiny screw drivers used for electronics are never magnetised. That force is capable of interfering with stuff on the mother board. Years back I used to build desktops using material bought at computer stores. Even static can cause damage si one used to wear device to prevent any static sparks. If only my eye were okay. I would still enjoy using tools.
My learning is noe telling my devices to read and type for me. Ugh!

DeniseinVA said...

Well done!