Thursday, January 20, 2022

1863, The Confederate Army in Florida is under attack

 These photos are the property of MadSnapper and were taken by me in 2012 in Parrish Florida


It was a hot day in April 1883.  The train rocked and the sound of clack clack clack, clack clack clact filled my ears as the Johnny Rebel soldiers walked from car to car.  The car I was in rocked side to side, I could feel danger in the air.  The puffing steam and cinders mixed with the smell of Gunsmoke puffed in the open windows.  

The distant sound of gunfire was a steady background of noise.  


The soldiers of the 2nd Florida Volunteer Infantry were ready for battle, even the very young that were still in their teens were ready. 
The Confederate Army was under attack from the US Army and needed assistance quickly.
Both sides were falling to the ground by the dozens.


I had watched the Volunteers board the train and ducked into a seat behind two ladies hoping heir wide skirts would hide the fact I did not blend my clothing of capri pants and t-shirt with DSLR Camera and its long lens. I hoped they would not notice I was from another time, April 2012.

 I huddled by the window, they both stood, the woman in the white shawl poined out the window . 

Look, there they are, Look can you see the battle?



The other lady started for the back of the rocking car.


I turned to the window, the smoke was thick, the sound was fierce


Snap! I caught the smoke
Snap! I caught the Yankees sneaking up on the Rebel in the water tower.


Snap! just as he fired

]

As I fired my camera madly, I screamed NOOOOO! He's Hit.


To be continued...











19 comments:

Ginny Hartzler said...

I love how you have made the shots look old, but still in great shape. And especially the way you did the color with the two women on the train, it is beautiful.

easyweimaraner said...

oh my that is thrilling... and we wish we could be there ith you to be a part of this super story...

Ann said...

I can feel the excitement. These photos are great. They make you feel like you are right there in the middle of it.

eileeninmd said...

Hello,

Love the photos, I like the soldiers on the train and water tower images. Are these sepia images? Take care, enjoy your day!

Hootin Anni said...

...and the bloody battle begins!!!

Rose said...

I think you should try writing a book.. yo ui have us all hanging on to every word.

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
...and I say again, you are a shoo-in for FFF magnificence (think a week tomorrow and I expect great things!!!) This is edge of the seat stuff... YAM xx

Mevely317 said...

Love your sepia treatment of these photos!
I've been (rightly) accused of romanticizing the Confederacy, and can't say why. Not sure if I'm more off-put by the loss of life or lack of hygiene. (jk!)

My Mind's Eye said...

I cannot imagine all those clothes in the heat. However, it is a true re-inactment of the times when the folks lived
Hugs cecilia

Chatty Crone said...

I have never seen a reenactment - but I live in Kennesaw near where the last battles were fought - there is a lot of Civil Wars artifacts here tho.

Hill Top Post said...

I love this! Your “old” photos are wonderful!

photowannabe said...

I can feel the tense atmosphere and the photos take me back in time.
You have a real way with words that made me hang on every one.
An unusual take on "The War".
Sue

DawnTreader said...

Creative editing! I think I remember having seen the "original" - not in 1883, but the 2012 version... ;)

DeniseinVA said...

Those photos are impressive, especially as you have given that old feel to them to match your story. Looking forward to its continuation.

Breathtaking said...

Hi Sandra, :=) What an amazing story, and wonderful sepia photos. Compelling reading. Your way with words makes me want to know what happens next.

CheerfulMonk said...

Great photos! 😊❤️

LC said...

Riveting! Now on to the next episode, living out some more Deep South history while sitting in Coffee Fusion with Hubby and my computer. Oops! Hubby just said time to go! To be continued!

Carol Henstra said...

photos are awesome. You are so talented.

Betty Manousos said...

excellent photos/project! with great historical value. well done!