Saturday, February 12, 2022

When things go Wrong!

 


Our  💔💔💔 are broken, all three of us. Our favorite place to buy lunch is Permanently closed. Bob loves Philly Cheese Steak, I love the lamb Gyro. We both love the grilled fish and Beau loves all three.
 Tuesday, I woke up craving the Gyro, also did not want to COOK.
As I drove to Salems, I could taste that gyro.
The parking Lot had crime scene yellow tape, on all 3 entrances, the building was dark.
It was Closed!
I fought my way east in lunch time traffic, headed for Publix Deli.
The Store Was Jammed. The Deli is popular at lunch time.
I get in line for a custom-made Italian Sub for Bob
I know what to say, but there was no one to say it to.
The man next to the deli, is the baker. 
He kept glancing at me and finally said someone will be right there!
YBW (yes but when) I waited for a full minute, that felt like 10, and a girl walked up and started loading all the veggies in trays, the things we choose from to put on the sub.
She never looked at me or spoke. Aha! a 2nd lady comes up and asks if she can help.
I came close to saying a snarky, No I just stood here foe 2 minutes because I like standing and waiting.
I said "yes, please, I want Boarshead Italian Sub, American White cheese on a whole white bread.
I waited, she said White Bread. YES! 
She looks through all the loaves like they are different, pulls one down and cuts and cuts and cuts trying to get it in half.  I said Mayo and spicy mustard, BOTH. (Learned from prior visits to say it when they get ready to do it or they forget) 
She says "Mayo? Mustard? yellow?
BoarsHead or Publix meat? What kind of cheese?
ARRRH  I will spare you the rest, it went on and on and then after a good 5 minutes she goes to put it in the bag, and the bag is too short. She starts to put stickers on the end to cover it so it fits in, the baker says, wrong size bag, she keeps adding stickers. Since both halves are wrapped, I say nothing but Boy and I thinking things in my head.
She was slower than molasses and I don't think she will last long.

I turn around to retrieve my Quick to Go Cuban Half Sandwich out of the Quick to Go counter. 
And There She is!

A Little Old Lady, maybe Deaf and blind, her phone to her ear, even though she had it on speaker and was yelling, her basket and her body covering the 5 feet of Quick to Go Counter. 
I wait. 
She picks up each sandwich and says THIS one has ham, but it has American Cheese, this one has Ham with Swiss cheese. This one on and on and on. 
I am boiling, the woman that made Bob's sandwich added to NO GYRO and I wanted to scream at her.

I waited at least a minute or more, decided to walk around the other side and get myself under control because I am close to LOSING it and telling her an earful.
I remind myself she is OLD, but then so am I. I ponder cheeses and breads and stuff i don't want and walk back around and SHE IS STILL READING off the sandwiches.
the other old person, her hubby can't make a decision.
I walk over to her basket, jerked it out of the way, shoved it in the middle of the aisle, reached over her and grabbed what I wanted, way in the back so I knew she did not READ IT to the person on the phone.
She never stopped talking and did not even notice I moved the basket.
I knew when I bought the Cuban that I am not supposed to eat it. but once every 2 weeks I eat a lunch I should not eat. 
Yes! it did upset my IBS and I think it was the STRESS of the shopping trip, not the food that did it
I DID NOT HAVE TO COOK OR CLEAN THE KITCHEN.
Was it worth it? 






25 comments:

Ginny Hartzler said...

Hmmm, I think maybe it was not worth it. My best friend, who is now dead, would send us out to get her meals a lot. She had cancer and took chemo quite often. Anyway, we would get in line somewhere...a deli, fast food, etc. And over the phone, she wanted us to read her everything they had!! I would feel just awful holding up the line. Then she had me ask the clerk all kind of questions. Once we went to the hospital cafeteria for her (they have really good food) and she had me give them her own plate to put the food on!! They said "No Maam!, we have health rules, and we have to put the food on the plates we have" I finally told me friend I could not read her menus any more. This was a huge source of stress for me, and went on for years.

Ginny Hartzler said...

Did they close because they couldn't get employees? That is why so many places are closing around here. So sorry for you!

Terra said...

So sad when a favorite restaurant closes, that happened to us too a month ago. All this flip flopping of covid rules surely pushed a lot of businesses out of business (yes, indoor dining ok, no to indoor dining, masks required, not required, etc.). That was a stressful time you had getting the sandwich.

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
Nope. I would definitely have walked away and bought the makings to produce the sandwiches myself at home... I don't count throwing cooked items or salad between two slices of bread or a roll as cooking. YAM xx

Hootin Anni said...

In that case, I'd have gone back home and made something I had at home. Nope...not worth the effort.

crafty cat corner said...

I'd say yes, it was worth it. Anything that means you don't have to cook and clean up is worth it. We eat out most days because I've had enough of cooking. 55 years of cooking is enough for any woman, lol
Briony
x

Ann said...

Oh wow. I would have been totally annoyed and probably would have gotten a little rude.
So why did that restaurant have all the yellow tape up and why are they closed permanently?

Rose said...

I can feel.the frustration...I dont know how Hinny did what she did or that woman at the deli. But I would have felt like you. And with riger, I make him make a choice before we get in line.

eileeninmd said...

OH my, definitely not a happy shopping experience. I am sorry your favorite restaurant has closed, for good really? It is annoying to wait at the deli counter and just be ignored by the workers. It bothers me too, that people leave their shopping carts in the way. It's like they are the only people shopping. I would want to scream too, let it out. There are foods I should not eat that I love and will always put up with the pain. Take care, enjoy your day!

My Mind's Eye said...

I 100% understand...we are experiencing the same thing Sandra. All the dining places have help wanted signs.
Panera (near us) cannot open their dining room because they don't have enough staff. Only drive thru or walk in order at their kiosk and wait. People aren't as kind as they used to be anywhere everyone's patience is thin. No one wants to work. Prices are rising and service is shrinking.
The oblivious lady in the way on the phone would have been the straw that broke my back too.
Hugs cecilia

Chatty Crone said...

Oh my goodness Sandra I have had days like that and days like that at the grocery store and at our Publix too. I think some of it is because they don't have enough workers - and I don't get it - why or where are the people to work? I know Covid is out there - but you have to earn money - right?

Mevely317 said...

Aaaaargh!!! Gotta say, our Publix Deli staff is congenial but yes -- you have to bring along the patience of Job and enunciate. Often. Loudly.
Thankfully, Tom wasn't among the shoppers in your line or he'd have said what everyone else was thinking.

I'm sorry to hear your fav spot has closed. No 'splanation? We had that happen to our favorite BBQ place a couple years ago, but happily found one we like better.

Martha said...

I'm so sorry your favorite placed has closed. I wish you lived further south, we have a mom and pop place that makes the best gyros. Your Publix experience just sounds like a typical day at the deli. I refuse to get anything there unless I order online and even then I give them an extra 20 minutes from the time they say it will be ready. I'm getting ready to boycott Publix anyway, their prices have gone beyond ridiculous!

Breathtaking said...

Hello Sandra, It's sad when a shop has to close.Several have had to close in my town. I never eat take outs, never! Ready made meals in my freezer are useful when it's just a matter of reheating in M W. I don't think it was worth the hassle in your case.

CheerfulMonk said...

I’m so sorry. ��

CheerfulMonk said...

😟😟. :(

photowannabe said...

It was worth it because you got a delightful??blog post out of it..HaHa..
Oh Sandra, some days are like that ...no one can do anything helpful or right!!
So sorry you found your favorites closed..this world is going mad!!
Sue

Debby@Just Breathe said...

I'm so sorry your favorite place closed. That was not a good experience you had at the store. Were the sandwiches worth it??? That would have stressed me out too. I'm sorry it upsets your IBS. I agree stress can mess things up too! It is nice not having to clean the kitchen every once in awhile.

Linda said...

I am so sorry!! You had more than your share of bad experiences that day! Hope you had less than normla for the next several!

Inger said...

I'm so sorry your favorite place closed. The Cuban sandwich sounds so good, of course, we don't get it here. And what an awful shopping trip. I'm so sorry about that.

Sandy said...

Argh, for me it wouldn't be worth it. Sorry you had such a day, and sorry your favorite spot is closed. Is it just temporary though...you said crime scene tape; which made me think temporary as opposed to going out of businesss, or closed for remodeling etc.
Sandy's Space

Anni said...

Ps...there is less sugar in carob chips (preserving) than Salem's lamb gyro.

https://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/calories/gyro-30191604

Anni said...

Crapola!! Sorry, sorry, so sorry. I read 17g of sugar in the gyro and it'actually 7.

LC said...

These uncertain times have caused closures among eateries in our area, too. But so far new restaurants have opened up in the buildings. Plus, two areas of undeveloped land on the major highway through our town are being prepped for construction of an Aldi's and a Chick-fil-a.

Plus an Aldi's and a chick-fil-a are under construction.

DeniseinVA said...

Sorry your favorite place closed and hope your next experience at the deli will be a more pleasant one.