Friday, June 10, 2022

Cutest Baby Ever on Nature Friday


Yesterday I showed you a hedgehog and said I would show you something cuter today.
Since 2009, I have bombarded you with photos of any and all living creatures in our yard.
Lizards/frogs/snakes/squirrels/possums/raccoons and recently the teeny tiny cute baby possum.
Tues June, 7,8 and 9th I stood thrilled to the core of my being staring into the eyes of

A baby Eastern Screech Owl.

In our back yard we have Lizards and snakes, squirrels and possums, Raccoons.
I have shared photos of them over the years, we had 3 sightings 2011, 2018, and 2020 when we found the male dead from rat poison in our rain barrel. 
In 33 years I only got one decent photo Link to that 2018 post HERE.


source internet unknown photographer

At 6:15 Am Tues I stood waiting on Beau as he wandered the yard,
The sky was still dark, but light enough to see.
Birds were singing, and my heart was full listening to the Screech Owls Calling to each other.


These are recreations of what I saw. The big one is for details, the others are scale.
I stared hard at the lump on the limb, it moved. I stood very still and did not breathe.
the lump lifted into the air and dropped on the broken stump to the birdbath. my heart sang Baby Screech owl, his back was to me, and as I stepped one slow step closer,
his sweet little head rotated back and I was staring into his eyes.
we stood for possibly a minute just staring at each other.
The hairs on both of my arms stood at attention, the same feeling we get when we hear a song, poem that is so beautiful the hairs stand up. Beau started to move, and I eased
backwards and took him in the house. 
I returned to the same place, he was so close I could have touched him with my foot if I could stand on one leg without falling over an scaring him to death.
At 5 feet distanced we stared at each other. His precious eyes glowed and blinked. I took a tiny step forward, he lifted to the fence and sat and watched me.
I eased into the house to get bob but the Hoot was gone.
Wed am, at the same time I went to see if he was back. He was sitting in the same spot, and we went through the same thing as the day before.
the parents were calling and calling.
Day 3, Thursday I eased out the door at 6:11 and waited. He was not in sight  even though the parents were calling. I realized they were not in the tree to the East but the parents were to the west in the Maple tree. I turned and slowly walked and stopped to look.
There he was, sitting on the pole, we stared at each other and I realized there was a 2nd one sitting 2 feet away from him. TWO Babies, what could be cuter.
I stepped closer, Hoot flew across the pool just barely skimming the water and onto the sea grape limb, Hooter followed. I turned to walk closer and low and behold
NUMBER THREE Baby lifted from the pine tree and went to sit by his siblings.
Hoot, Hootie and Hooter are alive and well.
will they come again today?
I will be waiting with my arm hair standing up, waiting for the thrill of seeing

The Cutest Baby Ever. 

This is posted on both blogs today, I could not choose which to post on. If you have not visited you are done with me for today. Beau totally ignored the babies.
I believe there nest is in the corner of our lot, we have 9 trees that are perfect and woodpeckers live in them and source says they love to live with woodpeckers.



16 comments:

Ginny Hartzler said...

WOW!!!! Three times the joy! I bet three is very uncommon!! What a glorious experience. At times like this I think that God knows what we need at just the right time. They are cuter than cute.

DeniseinVA said...

Now that was magical! A true gift!

easyweimaraner said...

owl-la-la... that is the cutest thing ever, we agree. the mama would love to have an owl, but it never happened and we rather watch them in their natural habitat... and during the years she is technically an ole owl now too LOL

CheerfulMonk said...

How exciting!

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari Om
well, my long comment got gobbled over at Beau's place... so am giving it a go here and will just say, "awwwwwwwwwww!!!!!" YAM xx

Catherine - Mixed Media Artist said...

wow that is just wow and yes cuter than hedgehogs :-)

Ann said...

WOW and double WOW. How exciting to see these not once but threee times. I can't believe you didn't take a camera out with you on day two though to try and get a picture. They sure are cute.

eileeninmd said...

Hello,
Wow, I would have been thrilled to see one baby owl. You are lucky to see 3 owls in your yard. They are so cute. I hope they come back again. I would have been waiting with my camera to take some photos. Have a great day!

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

What a fun thing! There really is nothing cuter that owls and I would be thrilled to see a baby owl! Nothing is as cute as what nature gives us! Enjoy your day!

Mevely317 said...

Wow, oh wow ... I sure wasn't expecting that! And THREE?! Good boy, Beau! Did Bob ever get to see them?
Precious babies.

My Mind's Eye said...

Adorable and screech owl makes one thing it will scaring but this is the cutest Owl ever
Hugs Cecilia

Inger said...

How great to have ao much nature when you live in a neighborhood. Because of the drought here, I rarely see any animals and just some hardy birds. Two black birds live here now. The ravens moved to my neighbor's place because he feeds them horse treats and trains them to sit next to dogs. I guess they like that better than being chased by Faith.

Unknown said...

Oh wow, could there be anything cuter??? Nope...
How awesome to not 1, not2 but 3 precious little guys.
Happy Beau isn't interested in them.
Your yard is better than any zoo for sure.
Sue
photowannabe

Debby@Just Breathe said...

Now this is so awesome and exciting. I love that you had these visitors. I hope they continue to visit with you. So adorable and precious.

Susan Kane said...

How amazing. Have never seen an owl on the wing or perched on a tree!

The Adventures of the LLB Gang said...

Those eyes are just adorable!!!

Nature is so precious, isn't it???