Thursday, September 22, 2022

Happy Birthday Mother


Queen Elizabeth II, born April 21, 1926  -   Lucille Overby McCall, born September 22, 1926

I sat glued to my television screen at 5 AM Monday, Sept 20. for 7 hours, I watched as The Queen of United Kingdom was laid to rest.

  Queen Elizabeth II was born April 21, 1926, and my mother was born, September 22, 1926.

Queen Elizabeth lived to be 96, my mother died at age 63 and would have been 96 today.

The photo above from Life Magazine and from my photos for my mother. They were both 18 years old in these photos today. Both photos were taken in 1943.

My mother and the Queen were born 5 months apart, born to different worlds in the same world.

Born4437 miles, 5552 km, 2997.97 nautical miles apart, 2 sweet baby girls, born into a war-torn world.
 One born to wealth and to become a Queen, the other in poverty. 


Mayfair, London
Palmetto Florida


Their personalities were much alike.
 A beautiful smile always on their face,
 kindness in their hearts,
 caring for others more than themselves. 

As I followed the last rites of Queen Elizabeth my mind compared my Mother and Queen Elizabeth II and their lives. 
If their birth places had been switched, my mother would have been as grand a Queen as Elizabeth II.






18 comments:

CheerfulMonk said...

This post touched my heart. Thank you. Your mom sounds like she was a wonderful woman.

roentare said...

Your piece is heartwarming.

easyweimaraner said...

happy birthday to your mom... we send a big hug to heaven today...

Linda P said...

A beautiful photo of your mother. We cherish the memory of our dear ones. Thinking of you Sandra.

WFT Nobby said...

Lovely post.
For many of us, Monday's funeral brought back memories of our own parents. The queen was born five years after my father and four years before my mother. Two of the hymns at the Queen's funeral were ones we also chose for my mother's ('Love Divine' and 'The Lord's My Shepherd'). Perhaps not so surprising - these might be considered among the Church of England's 'Greatest Hits'!
Thanks for the touching photo of your dear mother.
Cheers, Gail.

eileeninmd said...

Happy Birthday to your mother! Lovely memories and post!
Take care, have a happy day!

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
A lovely post of juxtaposition and remembrance... YAM xx

Ann said...

What a wonderful birthday tribute to your lovely mom.

Mevely317 said...

What's this lump in my throat?
I think this may be one of your best posts ever.

Both beautiful ladies. Both appear so much more composed and mature than I remember being at 18. Is it just me, or does the Queen in this picture remind you of Jennifer Gray in Dirty Dancing?

Hootin Anni said...

Now,this post,I agree, had to be one of your best. Humor is good as you teach us thru your blog often. But such a loving, wonderful tribute to your mother was so very touching...it pulled my heart strings!!!!

My Mind's Eye said...

Sandra what a beautiful post!
Your Mom and Queen Elizabeth had such similar looks and styles.
Happy Heavenly bday Mom of MadSnapper
Cecilia

Rose said...

Oh, Sandra, this was a wonderful post!

Chatty Crone said...

I doubt in heaven there are class systems - right? Bot equal. Maybe their souls have met.

The Adventures of the LLB Gang said...

Such a beautiful post Sandra!!

photowannabe said...

I am so touched by your beautiful post today.
Your Mother is lovely. I feel like we can look right into her very soul in this photo. She would have definitely made a regal but humble Queen.
I too watched the Queen being laid to rest.
Beautiful..
Hugs
Sue

Debby@Just Breathe said...

This post is so touching and beautiful. I love what you shared about your Mother and the Queen. Thank you. Happy Heavenly Birthday to your Mother!

Breathtaking said...

Oh Sandra!

This must be your best post ever, and your loving tribute moved me to tears. You have her beautiful smile Sandra. Bless you!

DeniseinVA said...

Your Mom is beautiful and this is such a loving tribute to her. Happy Birthday to your Mother. I agree with Breathtaking, you do have her smile :)