Friday, November 11, 2022

Sand Gnats and no-seeums

 

created in PicMonkey using pool with rain, magnified gnat and a swarm of gnats from PM free photos


Admit it! You are trying to decide WHY I am typing all this nonsense with a photo of a gnat.

The answer is....
While I searched for all those nifty home recipes using vinegar, I stumbled on this question and nearly expired from laughter, at the question and the answer.

What kills gnats instantly?

Answer: Mixing half a cup of isopropyl alcohol with a teaspoon of dish soap in a spray bottle and spritzing it directly on to the gnats will quickly kill the gnats.
REALLY?
LOOK at the photo.
The Pool is Covered, the back yard is covered, they are like a net of gnats thrown over the entire yard. The city and county and state are covered.
Spray from a bottle, would kill the few it touched, but it would be like stopping a waterfall with a toothpick.
Where can I find a bottle large enough to spray an entire back yard? And if I could, they would die, but the neighbors on all 4 sides of us would have them and they would fly over to find us.
The others would swarm from all over the city and state.
Where would I find a giant to use that big of a bottle.
Foolishness! this post and the question and answer.

IF YOU DO NOT KNOW GNATS, below is a quick descriiption.

THEY say sand gnats are seasonal in Florida! THEY also say March and April are miserable.

The Gnats came the first week of May and are STILL HERE.
They swarm us in the dark, they cover the glass doors and windows and come in the house if we hesitate very long entering.
We enjoyed the past few years because we had very few Gnats. 
to me this means they love monsoons 
Drought and no gnats, Monsoons and Millions of Gnats

to me they are the scourge of Florida, even worse that Mosquitoes because at least we can see a mosquito and slap it to death. 
The very tiny ones we call 'no-seeums" we call the larger 'sand gnats' 
gnats love rain, 
they love heat
, sweat, the more a person sweats the more they sit and bite that person.
they love Dusk and Dawn and you do not want to be out there at the worst time of day. 

We are fine, Nicole did a lot of damage but none in our part of Florida, she went North of us and really did a lot of damage. We Are Safe and Well

Today We honor our veterans and Say thank you for your service



17 comments:

Ginny Hartzler said...

I had no idea! I don't remember you ever mentioning them. We have the NoSeeUms, and their bites are huge and itchy. So do yours always go away at some point? Ours die off when the winter comes, but you never have winter!

Hootin Anni said...

....and you can't breathe without them going up your nose & in your mouth!!?

easyweimaraner said...

we hope there is a way to get rid of the evil gnats.... have a good remembrance day....

Ann said...

YIKES. I wouldn't like that at all. Especially if you can't see them.

eileeninmd said...

UGH, I remember the blind mosquitoes in Lakeland. They were everywhere, flying into your face while trying to walk. Take care, enjoy your day!

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
The Scottish equivalent is the dreaded Midgies. Yeecchh.... YAM xx

Rose said...

It's been a long time since I got bit by no-seeums.. I dont miss that at all.

NanaDiana said...

Oh! I remember sand gnats from when I lived in Florida. Good luck with that spray bottle. lol. xo Diana

Mevely317 said...

I remember those evil no-see-ums ... but never the sand gnats. Isn't that strange, all the years I lived there? Years ago on a tour to a Dominican Republic beach, my husband and I were practically eaten alive. We'd no idea what had happened until back on the ship one of the crew knew exactly what had happened. Torture!

This post would be awesome to share with the Florida Welcome Center people. Maybe curtail some of the growing population? (Heh-heh)

photowannabe said...

Yikes...no thank you. I remember them when we were in Florida a few times and in Cancun..ugh, they really bite too.
Love your post about them.
Ok time for the first set of drops in Dave's eyes before we go.
Sue

My Mind's Eye said...

Bugs love me...well at least the skeeters. We don't haveno-seeums us here but I guarantee you if we did they'd see me as a bufffet
Hugs cecilia

Chatty Crone said...

I do thank the Veterans - my hubs is one. I say a big NO THANKS to the gnats!

The Adventures of the LLB Gang said...

OK...now I am itchy! LOL

Happy Veterans Day!

CheerfulMonk said...

Yuck about the gnats! I had never heard that before. 👎😟

Debby@Just Breathe said...

Wow, they sound terrible. I don't remember my dad or my sister ever talking about them.

diane b said...

Finding it hard to comment today. Thats an awful lot of gnats. You poor things.

DeniseinVA said...

Yak on the gnats! I have had my collection of poppies on my shelf near where I sit, and always think of our vets. I thank them all.