Thursday, June 22, 2023

Hominy Harmony

 


My senior memory, like an 8 ball, waiting for the right answer, read from my grocery list.
2 cans diced potatoes. 
My senior eyes SAW potatoes
but when I reached into the cabinet this week end I pulled out 2 cans of


Most of you might not know what GRITS is! I love it.
Or what White Hominy is.
Both are made from corn, and common in the Southern States of USA.
I was raised on Grits, but have never eaten Hominy.
The good news was I already had 2 cans of dice potatoes and I
Accidently Found a New Food that is IBS friendly.
I said to The 8 Ball Brain in my head.
What can I used this never before eaten Hominy?
Its Corn, I love corn, corn meal, and grits.
I love Grits and CHEESE
I put a helping of drained Hominy in my little fry pan, after spraying with Olive Oil
and as it heated I added 3 pieces of Seriosly Sharp Cheddar and let if cook
for about 3 minutes,
I LOVE IT! like marbles of grits and cheese. I had that and a slice of toasted french bread for breakfast.
Accidental Happy Find.
If you continue you can see it is a healthy food 
Feel free to skip the graphic if you hate the stuff.
I will be trying new things with it and add it to my IBS SAFE LIST





18 comments:

Ginny Hartzler said...

What a happy accident! And you need as much variety in your diet as you can find, too. I love your 8 ball pic! At first, I knew something just wasn't right, but could not figure out what. Then I saw YOU!! Just as mad as ever...mad genius!

easyweimaraner said...

was hominy not the president of a country? I never saw such a thing, I will look if our stores have it too ;O)

Catherine - Mixed Media Artist said...

I understand the words, but the food not ever seen ...

Ann said...

I read Ginny's comment and had to go back up and look at the 8 ball picture. There you were right inside the ball.
I have never had hominy.

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
If it tasted good, it was winner food. That's all that need be known! YAM xx

eileeninmd said...

I am not a fan of hominy or grits.
I am glad you liked the hominy and had a happy accidental find.
Take care, enjoy your day!

David M. Gascoigne, said...

I have had grits and they leave me neutral, hominy as far as I know I have never tried, but would certainly do so given the chance. As for potatoes in a can - who knew? We make our own home fries - we boil the potatoes and after they have cooled dice them and fry them in a little canola oil with onions and garlic. Delicious would be an understatement to describe how they taste!

Tigger's Mum said...

We know all about hominy but we can't get it over here. F has been wondering if it is something that a dedicated cook could make at home....

My Mind's Eye said...

MS you know what GRITS means right:
Girls
Raised
In
The
South!!!
Yay us!!
Hugs Cecilia

Mevely317 said...

Like my father before me, I adore grits! Pretty sure I've never tasted hominy, tho. Like grits, however, I'm pretty sure they're not carb friendly. (*Sad face*) Day before yesterday the scale registered a two-year high, so I'm back on Keto.

You're really rocking these new-to-you things!

Rose said...

I love grits and I LOVE hominy...will sometimes eat a can just as a snack. I drain off most of the water, add butter and sook it down...YUMMY!

photowannabe said...

I do love hominy and it flavor and texture. I didn't realize it was from dried corn. I'm actually going to add it to my hamburger "glop" for dinner tonight.
Glad you can find things that make your IBS "happy".
Sue

The Adventures of the LLB Gang said...

Grits are one of my favorite breakfast foods...I've had hominy in soups and chilis, but never on its own. I'll have to give your idea a try!

Brian's Home Blog said...

Yes, hominy is pretty darn good. Hey, hominy cans did you have? Two!

CheerfulMonk said...

Hurray for that!!

DawnTreader said...

Congratulations on finding something new that you like and can digest! I've never heard of hominy so thanks for explaining.

Debby@Just Breathe said...

Glad to hear that it all worked out for you and you liked it.

DeniseinVA said...

I love grits but never tasted it until after I got married, and never looked back. Son has them every morning but hubby is not a fan. I don’t think I have ever tried hominy and have now put them on my shopping list. Thanks for the idea for using it. I know I am going to love that too! That’s what I call a happy happenstance.