Wednesday, June 7, 2023

Palmetto Historical park (Round about)




A few buildings down from the Restaurant is the Entrance to Palmetto Historical Park and is from this Website
I neglected take one of the entrance
Below are all my photos of the buildings around the circle.


The red brick road is an example of what the streets were in my mothers generation and were there until mid 50's, when they were removed.

Around the circle is the house, post office, schoolhouse, church and barn.
Buildings from 1880 for the post office and the house in the 1920's
My grandmother's house was built in the early 1920's.
Her house had a tin roof, 3 sides were screened porches, tongue/groove boards used on outside, inside and the ceiling. 
The only electrical was each room had a black cord hanging 4 feet down from 12 foot ceilings with a light bulb and a string to turn it on.
the kitchen and the living room had one outlet to plug in anything electric,

Her home was heated with a small gas stove that would only heat the living room, and only one fan, which was a footstool fan, and she OWNED it, by HER chair.
She was the 2nd home from the Manatee River and the house rarely got unbearable with heat or cold.
We can still live without heat/ac in this part of Florida but for me the AC is a necessity.
 








19 comments:

Ginny Hartzler said...

This is the prettiest little Roundabout, and an adorable tiny church! Are the buildings in use for t=what they are intended for, or just for people to look around for historical significance? Loved reading about your Grandma's house! I wish they would have put more bricks down like there had been!

easyweimaraner said...

we love this red brick road... in america so much things are so much better than in ole europe...

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
Picture postcard stuff! Love that history... YAM xx

Ann said...

What a beautiful area this is. I love that roundabout. The red brick road adds to the charm of it. There is a town not far from here (about 30 miles) that still has some roads that are red brick.

eileeninmd said...

Hello,
The historical park is pretty, I love all the buildings and the brick road.
I am sure your grandmother loved her home, nice story and happy memories.
Take care, enjoy your day!

David M. Gascoigne, said...

The red brick roads are very attractive. Lots of nostalgia in this post.

My Mind's Eye said...

Sandra what a lovely area. I see several benches to people watch.. LOL
Hugs cecilia

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Thanks for more of the tour, Sandra, it has been enjoyable to see some of an area we have never visited. Very interesting to read about your grandmother's home. I found it amazing to read that people could still get by without heat or AC. The brick paved road is beautiful.

Tigger's Mum said...

The house looks really similar to houses of that era in NZ - lots of them ar still occipied and have been restored in recent decades because they were built of beautiful native timbers. Where F lived in London, the ear hd been redeveloped from docklands in the 1980s and 90s and all the (modern) streets there were (and still are) red brick. Yours are a brighter colour though. xxx Mr T

Mevely317 said...

I love your memory's detail about that old house. It must have felt wonderful when the rains came on the tin roof. My grandparent's farmhouse in Minnesota had no central air or heat, either -- but as a child, I can't remember that bothering me. (Not anymore!!!)

Before I asked a stupid question here, I had to ask Google why there so few brick streets remaining. Phooey. I still love them, and remember one old street in Abilene paved with red bricks. There was someone selling a few on eBay last year, and I was tempted. Now it's in my head, I may go back and look.

The Adventures of the LLB Gang said...

What beautiful history!!

photowannabe said...

Love the memories and that historical area is lovely.
I love how you said that your Grandmother "owned" the fan. Its crazy how we can get along without when we have never had it but once we get something we can't seem to live without it...
So thankful for AC here too.
Dearly love the red brick road.
Sue

♥♥ The OP Pack ♥♥ said...

Such lovely homes!!! Mom would really love a porch like those on our house too. She had one as a kid growing up in the 50s.

Woos - Lightning, Misty, and Timber

Chatty Crone said...

Again I love the history and the memories. As I look I wonder why they took those beautiful bricks out - not progress to me. They made things so much prettier back then. I agree about the a/c!

Brian's Home Blog said...

That really is such a nice looking little neighborhood!

DeniseinVA said...

I like this area very much and love the brick streets.

Rose said...

I read this yesterday and meant to comment...I loved reading about your grandmother.

CheerfulMonk said...

That is so beautiful and touching. ❤️

Debby@Just Breathe said...

It seems like a lovely town. Your grandmother's house sounds cool.