Thursday, June 8, 2023

Palmetto Historical Park-School House 1920

 


MadSnapper taking photos of inside of school through the windowpanes.
I love the thick wavy glass of the windows and doors and was surprised the photo below came out so well.




Each building is furnished as a museum, and they are open these hours, but I have yet to be there because I am an early bird up at dawn.
TUESDAY - FRIDAY
1ST & 3RD SATURDAY OF THE MONTH
10:00AM - 12:00PM
& 1:00PM - 4:00PM


 This kindergarten building was moved onto the Palmetto Elementary School property in 1936. It would serve for many years as Palmetto’s first public kindergarten. Hazel Lewis was the first teacher to serve there. The building stood on the east side of the 800 Block of 9th Avenue beside the high school gymnasium. When the new school was built, Manatee County gave the building to the Palmetto Historical Commission. The building has been restored as a one-room schoolhouse.


17 comments:

Ginny Hartzler said...

So,this answers my question. Very cool that they turned the buildings into mini museums individually. That photo of the school inside and desks is so clear and sharp!

DeniseinVA said...

Very interesting, enjoyed learning about this place.

easyweimaraner said...

I love this way to keep the past... to have such places is like having time machines... you can go back to the old times with creating your own his-story in your mind...

Rose said...

This is the type of place I love to visit!

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
For reasons I cannot fathom, I want to declare, "Delicious!" in response to this... YAM xx

Ann said...

Oh I love the inside. It's like taking a step back in time. My dad used to talk about where he went to school and it was one of these one room school houses.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

The interior is quite exquisite and really conveys that old sense of dedicated learning, at a time when teachers were cherished and were left alone to teach their children well, without evil politicians telling them what they may or may not teach.

eileeninmd said...

Love the reflections shot and the schoolhouse.
It is a cool museum. Take care, enjoy your day!

My Mind's Eye said...

I am thoroughly enjoying your visit and posts from Palmetto
and your selfie reflection
Hugs Cecilia

Chatty Crone said...

One of my favorite shows was Little House on the Prairie an this school house reminds me of that. Love it.

DUTA said...

Schools and kindergartens are one of the few memories that stay with us forever. It's the beginning of our life, and one of the more happy periods in it. No responsibilities , just to learn and be a good kid.

Mevely317 said...

Hard to believe you're not actually standing in that classroom! Don't you love those desks? I'd love to have one -- in a larger size. Imagine trying to get in and OUT!

Everything looks so clean and pristine. Very cool!

photowannabe said...

All of these "mini museums" are simply fantastic. The white ship-lap just sets each one off perfectly.
I would so enjoy visiting this area.
It's not going to happen but I certainly can dream...
Sue

The Adventures of the LLB Gang said...

I am really enjoying learning more about the history in your corner of the world!

I always enjoy looking around places like that before all the people show up...better pictures and less peopling!

CheerfulMonk said...

It warms my heart they are doing this. That picture of the schoolroom takes me back... those are the desks we used.

Brian's Home Blog said...

Scary, I remember school desks like that!

Debby@Just Breathe said...

I just love the inside of the school house. Thank you for the history about it.