Monday, November 20, 2023

Spectrum part 2

 


The mail person brought the above letter from our cable tv/internet/phone provider, explaining changes going into effect 12/23/23 and letting us know we needed a new router to accommodate the new better faster Internet and info on how to pick one up and install ourselves. Instant flashback to the last self-install and the words that were shouted at each other, I decided to call Spectrum, simply dial 611 and dive into
The Automated System, trying to get to a REAL person.
 Auto-Person gave the long list, none of which I wanted, Auto then said, tell me what you need in your own words, HOWEVER, that did not work because I heard the words, sorry, I did not understand. 
 10 minutes working my way through automated maze to ANDY, and I asked the charge for installing the new router explaining about the letter we received.
 He had no idea we got a letter or that changes were coming and put me on hold several times to discuss with whomever might know. Third hold was the charm, Andy said you do need a router, it I 80 dollars to install, but if you let me order it for you, call us when its received, we will walk you through installation and if you can't install, we will place a rescue order, and send a rep to install it for you. 

Rescue is FREE! Great, that will work, please order it. 

Please Hold. Andy says, thank you for holding. You do need a router, but I am told if we transfer you to billing, they will make this effective immediately and they will order the router for you, and it may save you money. I will explain to billing before I transfer you, since you have been on hold so long, to save you repeating your information. Transferring now, please hold. 
and sweet young thing answers. She said Andy explained the details, but she must place me on hold while Talking to a supervisor!
FIVE (feels like 30) minutes later, she returns with, my supervisor says you do not need a new router, the one you have will except the changes from 100 mp of internet to 300 mp and that I will change your plan, because it is very old and it will save you money, and be effective within 24 hours, no need to wait until December.  
(Letter says I need a router, Andy & his supervisor say I need a router, Billing says I don't. whom do I trust?)
It's done, it took 2 hours on the phone, but I got 3 posts. Below is AI rendering of Sweet Young Thing in Billing. Can't tell you her name, this is what I heard when she gave it, Teeekpjgesas. Got it?

I want to tell you part of our conversation, while she changed The Plan!

this is excerpts from the link I gave you yesterday about giving up your phone for a week. no emails, no google search etc.  no internet. SHUDDER to even read that sentence.
“Our goal is a return to pre-digital for those who knew what it was like, so not the Gen Z nor stressed-out people who are seeking to detox. Not having a phone will just boost their anxiety.”

“Travel is complicated without a phone, figuring out where to get the info, how to get from A to B by asking people for directions. It makes you exit your comfort zone.

“I walked around the city for hours without a phone, got lost, talked to people. I love asking locals how to get somewhere, trying to communicate and overcome language barriers.

Sweet Young Thing said to me "My Grandfather handed me a ________________
to be continued.............

SWEET Thing To BE Continued

17 comments:

Ginny Hartzler said...

So do you believe HER?? Seems like some of them are not well trained!

CheerfulMonk said...

I'm so sorry!

easyweimaraner said...

I often feel like a dinosaur, the species what will fade away... and with reading your post I think I'm right... I'm a dino LOL

Tigger's Mum said...

Don't come to Singapore on a phone free trip. What little info that does exist is unreadable without smart phone unless your brain can decode QR codes. Everything is "scan the QR for directory". I only tried once. It was dismally unhelpful so I rely on old fashioned paper maps - public transport maps, road maps, etc.
BTW it also became painfully obvious that 'A fruit' maps in eye-phone is written for a culture of people who drive cars. Ask for a route and it defaults to drive. It cannot seem to comprehend walk and is absolutlely dire (dismal, damnedawful - take your pick) at sensible use of public transport. Back to the map....

Ann said...

This sounds like a real pain in the butt. I got an email from spectrum saying a problem was detected and I should schedule an appointment to have a technician come look at it (free of charge) I attempted to schedule on line and it told me I needed to call instead. I gave up. Then I got an email saying they noticed I had tried to schedule and then stopped and it sent me to a survey. Part way through the survey it would not continue. It kept telling me I had to answer a question that on my screen was clearly answered. I gave up completely then.

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
Yikes, between your tale and Ann's response, I'd be avoiding 'Spectrum' if they were a service company here! YAM xx

eileeninmd said...

Hello,
I would think it would be best to get the new router, mine was easy to hook up. I did it myself, no problems. It is weird 1 person out of 4 (if you count the letter) decided you didn't need the new router. Take care, have a great day!

Rose said...

I about have high blood pressure just from reading this...

Coloring Outside the Lines said...

Hmmmm, I would be skeptical..who to believe?

Mevely317 said...

I'm with Rose ... feeling my BP escalate with every word. I can't remember why just now, but had to call Verizon Wireless recently; navigating those auto prompts and trying to reach a real human (unsuccessfully) made me feel like I was on some reality TV competition.

This sounds like it would make a perfect sketch for a television comedy. Step aside, Carol Burnett!

My Mind's Eye said...

Oh me oh my. I think we are ok for now. We recently bought two new Smart TVs. One downstairs has the spectrum DVR box
one upstairs just has cable box. So far no letters from Spectrum
I often wonder what folks older than us do when they need assistance and are not computer savvy? Crazy. Even medical practices have MyPortals when one has to used to tests results and RX refills.
Hugs Cecilia

DawnTreader said...

Fingers crossed it will work out for you. Apart from all the trouble of getting in touch with the company and getting the right info etc, it seems a ridiculous plan on their part to begin with, to change the system at CHRISTMAS, when more people than ever are likely to be at home and want to watch TV and use the internet and whatever, all at the same time... (and all likely to call at the same time if things go wrong...)

Debby@Just Breathe said...

I guess I'm lost. So is your router being upgraded without getting a new one. Reading that article it sounds like it would be hard to travel without a phone. Let me say that my life is so stressed right now that I sit and think what's next. My anxiety is off the charts.

photowannabe said...

HaHa...were you at our house and on our phone last Friday??
This sounds so familiar. We got a letter from our Direct tv that we needed to upgrade our system at "no cost" to us..just call and make an appointment to have new upgrade installed.
We did and in the process they sent us an email saying good news here is your new billing with all the "bells and whistles" to the tune of $191.00 a month!!!!
We said WHAT !!!! or words to that effect. I had things on it that we didn't order and were being charged for. Through lots of "interaction" with someone in another country, being put on hold numerous times, it was rectified down to $112.00 pr. month...we'll see if that happens.
A nice technician came to our home the next day..be it 2 hours later than suppose to be ...long story short we are upgraded and the things we DID NOT order aren't on the bill. We will see what happens when next month's bill is due.
I just read your post to Dave and he laughed too..talk about crazy times..
Can't wait to see the next installment for your saga...
Sue

The Adventures of the LLB Gang said...

You are a patient woman Sandra...I don't know if I have ever called a cable company without getting aggravated!

Brian's Home Blog said...

Yep, that's all pretty strange. I got a letter like that last year. I called too. It ended up I didn't need a new router but I did need a new modem.

DeniseinVA said...

Sheesh!!! I applaud you for sticking with it.