I laughed out loud when a 7 inch crow slid down the aluminum pool ladder railing and hopped off onto the lip of the pool
Hearing a weird noise outside the bedroom window I found a very young tiny female downy pecking on a living tree, the weird sound was it is not a tree they peck on, it is green and soft, not hard and rotted.. Totally different Sound
I saw a sweet, gentle Mourning Dove attack a blue jay and a Male Mocking Bird attack a fish crow.
I laughed out loud as I walked Beau. The silly loud mocking bird sitting on the top of the street light singing about 20 songs. Over and Over.
I watched Daddy Dove teaching baby dove to eat from the ground and practice flying. Once Daddy Dove was on the roof, ON GUARD, the nest in outside our gate in a stump with tall grass. I waved at him and HE DID A DOUBLE TAKE. He really did. June 13 I saw the baby on the ground and Beau walking that way and the baby lifted up to the roof with no problem. I guess training is over now.
for those interested this is from AI on affection.
Physical Signs of Affection
Excited Head Bobbing: Mottled ducks will bob their necks up and down rapidly when they are happy to see a trusted human. This is an acknowledgment of a positive social bond.
Gentle Nibbling and Dabbing: They will use their bills to softly nibble at your hands, clothes, or shoes. This behavior simulates the natural mutual preening that closely bonded ducks perform within their flock.
Shadowing and Following: An affectionate or imprinted mottled duck will follow you closely around the yard, viewing you as the leader or a safe member of their flock.Tail Wagging: Similar to dogs, ducks will rapidly wag their tail feathers side to side when they feel content and relaxed in your presence.





32 comments:
You sure have lots of fowl entertainment going on, they are all fun to watch. Big hugs from all of us!
I want my own ducks...just what I need. Now that the squirrels are not visiting.
I want my own ducks...just what I need. Now that the squirrels are not visiting.
Hello Sandra,
I love the cute Downy woodpecker and all your duck photos.
I hope the Missy learns she needs to make a nest before laying more eggs. Silly duck! Take care, I hope all is well. Have a great weekend.
Oh my gosh, this is so amazing!!!!
You are more entertaining than National Geographic! I wish I might train my eyes and ears to be more observant like you.
I'm so glad those new eggs aren't in any danger, and I LOVE Missy.
You are the absolute best Duck whisperer ever. I love how the Lord has given you things to bring peace to your chaotic world.
Oh Missy dropping the egg at the pool lip. I never knew any of the info about ducks. Fascinating.
I hope you got my email about our friend. There has been no further communication.
Have a great weekend and give a love to Missy and Mister for me, oh and Beau too.
Sue
You have lots going on around you! It really is fun to watch them.
We have woodpeckers here too. Sometimes they wake me up in the morning with their rat-a-tat on the trees outside our window.
The ducks are protected here too. A friend was getting a new roof put on and ended up having to wait about a month because a duck built a nest in their yard, so the roofers couldn't disturb the area.
I never knew so much about ducks! Keep giving update1
Wow, we never knew that about ducks!
That is something about the crow. That is interesting about the noise outside the bedroom window. Also interesting about those attacks you saw. It is also interesting about the mocking bird singing on the street light. You saw so many things! Wow, that's a long time for Missy and Mister to be with you. That is interesting about the eggs. So they have plenty of food to eat so they have no reason to leave.
Seriously, Missy came to the door and she walked with you outside?
Those are interesting facts. Hope all is well with you and Bob.
THIS IS FANTASTIC! I love it. She has laid two eggs? I wish she would make a nest already. Will she be able to learn that? You have a very exciting back yard.
This is great! I have really had fun reading about your local wildlife. I also enjoyed the link. I am also very thankful I met David. He is a great encourager and teacher isn't he? So are you now :)
I'm in love with Missy! ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️
To me there is nothing better than to be accepted by a animal. That trust is precious when they decide, you are one of their humans. Love it.
You sure have lots of birds around to entertain you. Maybe next year your ducks will make a nest.
OH how sweet this whole story is!! I am SO happy that God sent those ducks to you! He knew you needed them and they needed you! What a beautiful love story! This makes me so happy. Thank you for sharing this with us. I needed this today!!!
BTW, it's raining here right now!!! Praise God!
You're the best duck Mama, ever. It's really neat to learn from you about her eggs. Great shots too.
I know they are not pets, but you have a couple of ducks that favor you.
Hari OM
Blogger late delivering this delightful post! What a wonderful lot of viewing you have had... nothing beat being trusted by wildlife! YAM xx
This is so cool how you have bonded with a duck. I can only imagine how much fun it has been to watch them.
You are becoming quite the naturalist, Sandra. It’s delightful to read of your ongoing association with, and affection for, these ducks. Simple joys of life are not hard to find. Much better than blood sport at the White House.
Wow, Sandra, you have join the ranksof bird watcher, and befriended a wild duck. That is so super great! And it's also wonderful that Beau isn't bothering them. (Showing me commenting as anonymous...this is Amy and Xena 😊
Nice to read that nature is greeting you and you are getting out to greet it roo. You have done so well with your ducks but really you are building a great menagerie of feathered friends and visitors.
Sweet story and I'm glad you have the ducks to "keep you company" and that it even seems to work both ways (i.e. Missy enjoying your company as well)
What a great group of birds you're seeing...and I love the bonds you have formed with your ducks!!
OMDucks your duck laid an egg right by the pool.
You might have a permanent fowl family
Hugs cecilia
I find it amazing how the ducks are still hanging around. They found you and I can see they are blessing you each day just in being able to watch them and to know they are safe. Lots of cute birds in your area and the happiness they bring you is so important. Happy Monday..
It's apparent that the ducks feel safe in your yard and have everything they need in terms of food and their own water to swim in. I am learning more about ducks behavior by reading your posts, so thanks for adding to my knowledge, Sandra.
Wow, I learned all kinds of things here today!
I enjoy watching birds, too. I have several different kinds of food and feeders to attract various species.I have seen bluebirds in my bird basth, but they seem to be ignoring the bluebird specific feeders with mealworms...and haha the starlings are too big to get at them! It is funny to see them sitting on the edge of the feeder trying to stick their heads through the bars...which are placed so that bluebirds and smaller birds can get in, but no larger birds.
Your Missy Duck needs to learn all about building nests and having her eggs in there to brood them. I guess soon enough the instinct will be working...
Nice that Missy Duck loves you as much as she is loved by you!
I was mowing the lawn today, and a newly fledges cowbird was on the ground, and I had to keep shooing him./her away to not run the mower over her. t seemed to prefer running away to flying, though it did fly when I got really close on foot...into a bush and five minutes later it was on the ground again.LOL! I hope the dogs don't find it...even if it is a cowbird. (They lay eggs in other species nests...)
Hi hi hi! Ojo here! So many birds! Those birds would not be safe in our Yard, so we are glad they are in your Yard instead! That is fun that you have a duck friend!
Post a Comment