The fluorescent lights of the police precinct hummed, casting a sterile glow over Lineup Room B. Against the height chart stood three suspects, shifting uncomfortably on four legs each.
On the left was Jake, an off white, Labrador mix who looked like he was wearing mismatched winter earmuffs due to his black ears. In the middle stood Cooper, a snow-white lab mix, whose pitch-black ears hung down like heavy velvet drapes. On the right was Max, a Dalmatian mix whose chaotic scattering of black spots made him look like a walking inkblot test.
Behind the two-way mirror, Detective Higgins cleared his throat and adjusted his microphone. "Alright, Ms. Gable. Take your time. Look closely. Which one of these ruffians infiltrated your kitchen and systematically devoured an entire triple-chocolate fudge cake off the counter?"
Ms. Gable, a sharp-eyed woman in a knitted sweater, pressed her face against the glass.
The suspects tried to act naturally.
"It’s hard to tell," Ms. Gable muttered into the microphone. "The thief was a blur of monochrome chaos. I just remember a striking contrast of black and white."
"Wait a minute," Ms. Gable said, squinting. "The culprit had a distinct marking on his head. Or was it his body?"
Detective Higgins pressed the button. "Officer Martinez, please have the suspects turn to the left."
Officer Martinez, holding three leashes, sighed and blew a dog whistle. The trio rotated.
"Oh, it's no use!" Ms. Gable cried out. "They all look like a crossword puzzle came to life! How can I possibly choose?"
Just then, Detective Higgins noticed something on Max’s face, a slight smudge. and zoomed the security camera on Suspect Number One.
Standard procedure dictated that all suspects be searched prior to entering the lineup, but the precinct was understaffed. Right there, clinging to the edge of Max’s white chin, was a single, undeniable smear of chocolate frosting.
Sensing the sudden shift in the room's energy, Max looked directly at the two-way mirror. He gave a slow, deliberate blink, and then, with absolute confidence, reached out his pink tongue and licked the evidence clean off his face.
Detective Higgins said “Due to no visible evidence, all three of you are free to go.Officer Martinez, please escort the suspects to the doggy door in the jail and as the three passed through the swinging door, the last that was seen of the three suspects, Cooper and Jake were busy sniffing Max’s face.

24 comments:
Hari OM
Oh my word... what a thriller!!! Loved this!!! YAM xx
Love it. What a great story. I'm glad that Max destroyed the evidence before it got him thrown in the slammer.
I love this - both drawings and story. They are all cute and glad they got out!
I love your story about the "three suspects".
Oooooh I love a good mystery!!
Hugs Cecilia
Adorable story.
Hello,
Cute images and I love a good mystery. Fun post.
Happy Saturday! Have a great weekend.
Wow-ie what a Thriller.
You my dear are something else .. and I love everything about It and about You !
Sue
I LOVE it!!! And hope he did not get a tummy ache from eating an entire chocolate cake.
Bravo!, 👍😊❤️
Loved it (and you used your angels' names! Surely they were better behaved than to steal chocolate cake!)
What fun! That was really imaginative Sandra! Hugs to you both this evening. I'm making pizza...want some? I would share! Love you, Diane
The story and the art both were wonderful, bravo! Big hugs from all of us!
Whaaaat? Before I comment, I need to know why this post (published 19 hours ago) is just NOW showing up in my reader. Grrrrr!
Today's post may well be my favorite. (I know I've said that before, but you keep coming along with these wonderful topics.) "A crossword puzzle come to life!" THAT's a classic!
Adorable. Glad they were all safe. Was he okay with all that chocolate? Good story.
Oh I loved this, hilarious! Thanks for the smiles. Loved your copycat drawings too. Have a good rest of the weekend :)
Heeheehee! Very clever. Although the chocolate will probably give him quite the gut ache.
So there you go, Sandra, your suitability as a fine author is laid out before our very eyes! And you will illustrate your own books, too. I can see the headlines now, “Florida octogenarian embarks on new career as illustrator/author.” Better send me an autographed picture now before the fame swamps you and your time will be taken with TV interviews and the like! I will brag to everyone that you are a pal of mine. The kind to send hugs and kisses, which is what I am doing now. David ❤️💋
All completely innocent and free to go - couldn't be better.
This brought excitement this morning...reading this story. Made me smile as I waited with anticipation... Thanks Sandra for this post..
Hi Sandra :)
As soon as I saw the three suspects I laughed out loud. You never stop amazeing me with your imagination. I smiled all the way through this fun story.
Have a happy week
hugs
Sonjia
I loved this story! And the accompanying drawings. And a happy ending, Hooray!
Fun story. Great job!
That was fun doggy story, Sandra, and thanks for the entertainment especially those fun suspects.
Post a Comment