In Prior Post I told you I have a turtle in the pool (Duck Haven Pond). the day the ducks left, he appeared. Beau was using him as a football/chew toy. I gave him to my neighbor, he came back and has been in the pool for 60 days. I worried he could not get out and placed these two concrete pieces of an old bird bath for him to use to get out and to sun on, since they must have sunshine to dry them out.
Tommy Turtle is alive and well and he loves his new turtle food I bought from Wal-mart delivered Friday am, he ate all of it, Friday, Saturday and today.. it is little floating sticks, made from shrimp, black fly larvae and a lot of really stinky stuff. I have not seen him eat it yet. But its gone when I check.
the first day I put 12 pieces on the top step. and they floated, then dropped to the step, and an hour later they were gone.
Day 4, I saw him swimming towards the step as soon as I dropped the food. I could not see him get it because he knows when i walk up to the door and dives.
He knows when I drop it, because they have really good sight and scent at long distance.He can see me from the pool if i walk by the door. He is afraid because beau used him for a football.
I am feeding A TURTLE named Tommy T.... what next? pet possum? cuddly coons? crazy crow?
BREAKING NEWS!
* Tommy T is a she, not a he, and name change is Tommie T!😛
* She refuses to leave the pool, today is day 5 that I am feeding her, I have to hide behind the kitchen window to see her, swimming or floating. she has incredible hearing and sight and smell.
* Yesterday for the first time, I saw her stunning on the rock!
She NEEDS to sun to dry out which meant ...
The sight Rocked my world. No photos allowed is her motto.
I asked AI to put her in the photo I took, the photo above showing the concrete.
I took Tommie T to ChatGPT
and here she is, Just what I saw, She is 10 to 12 inches long.
I am thrilled she eats the food, but still fretting over her becoming sick living in the pool. If anyone has an idea how to get her out. Please let me know. I can't see her in the murky water and she is faster than a lightning bolt.
I am praying to catch her OUT of the pool, and will move her to a real pond.




30 comments:
This is so cool. Too bad she's afraid to come out when you are anywhere around. You could go snap happy getting pictures of her. Her food doesn't sound very appetizing but if she likes it that's all that matters
OMTs OMTs Tommie T is lucky to be in your TLC...
BOL BOL ANN is funny Mad Snapper happily snapping
Hugs Cecilia
Hari Om
Hello Tommie T!!! Sandra, you've truly become a wildlife haven. I think that if she didn't like being in the pool, she would leave. In the wild, many species (like snapping turtles) thrive in murky or dark, tea-coloured water filled with natural organic matter and tannins from leaf litter, so I don't think you need to worry about that. In a natural pool, though, she'd be able to hunt/forage, so your food will definitely be important for her. YAM xx
Tommie is a sweetie and perhaps she will warm up to you in no time! Big hugs from all of us.
That is so exciting! That's too bad about Beau using her as a toy.
I'm glad you're feeding her. I know she's happy where she is and that's all we need to know. You're such a wonderful critter mom.
Have a fabulous day and rest of the week. Scritches to Beau and a big hug to you. ♥
OK, I'm back home now and can see Tommie lots better. I'm loving how she instinctively knows how much you care about her. Turtle's senses of hearing/sight/and smell shouldn't come as a surprise, but it does. Do you think she'd go after the food treat if you lay it on the deck, away from the water?
Tommie is really a gorgeous turtle! And now I wonder how you know she is a she?
You do attract some fun wildlife...
Like Mari above, I am worndering how you know Tommie is a she? Does she have some particular markings to identify her as a her? It's so nice of you to feed her. I am sure she appreciates it. Apparently living in the pool is okay with her, I guess as long as you are feeding her. How did she get there in the first place? For some reason she was attracted to your pool and there she is thriving! Perhaps if it really isn't good for her, she will eventually move on to some other place...but again I ask, how did she get there? Did a bird drop her from the sky? No, somehow God wanted her to be there in YOUR pool, so she's yours to enjoy and care for until God has another plan. Thank you for sharing her with us.
Perhaps she was sent to you, and is meant to be just in your pool! I think you do not have to worry about the pool making her sick. Just think of all the iccky marshes and natural areas they inhabit. Places much worse than your pool. I think you are the Pool Whisperer! You know, they say everything bad has a good side. So this is the good side to your pool not being kept up. It is a wildlife refuge now!!
Hello Tommy-tommie ...that is such a cute story about the pool turtle...it seems she wants to be with you...so now beau has a turtle sister🥰
What made you decide it was a girl? lol. I think God allows these things to come into your life, so you have an extended family. This was such a beautiful story. Funny, she sees and smells you and moves so fast! I'm glad you are feeding her!
It looks like Tommie T is enjoying your pool. Hopefully she stays healthy and happy there.
Call your Wildlife Rescue. They'll make sure she is relocated to the right pond. I'm with everyone else? How do you know she's a girl? Is it her markings?
Tommie T!! Love that!
You now have another creature to help, and care for! Tommie T certainly is a lot faster in the water than on land, LOL!
Tommie is a lucky turtle to have found you!! I love all the wildlife that have made their way through your backyard!
hugs,
Beth and the girls
PeeEss - I am with Debby, have you called Wildlife Rescue and asked what they think??
I know very little about turtles and wondered how did you determine that Tommy is a Tommie? It would be great is she could swim in a pond instead of a backyard pool, but at least she is eating and surviving. The suggestion to try and locate an animal rescue was a good one, and it seems there would bev some in FL.
This is great and your idea of transferring to a pond is also a great idea. I know nothing about catching Tommy T but I think Debby’s idea of calling Wildlife Rescue is a good idea. We have a few knowledgeable people in our neighborhood that I see on our Neighborhood app. Do you have anything similar. I am always looking at good advice on there for various things. Tommy T is a very lucky turtle to have you take such good care of him.
You are such a wonderful person to take care of pets and animals. I am amazed at your care and devotion. I'm blessed to have you as my friend. Hugs, Diane
Your little backyard menagerie is a constant source of joy, Sandra, both for you and for those of us who get to read about the goings on. May you and Tommie the Turtle have a long and happy relationship! If I am late commenting on this post it is because Blogger is playing games and only now delivered it to my reading list.
Wow. I totally agree with all the other commenters. It has to be a divine plan for first the ducks and now Tommie T. to be in your pool, taking your mind off other things for a while and giving you joy. I love how you love all the animals...mammals, birds, amphibians...wonder what's next... 🤗
She is a lovely turtle. If you put a branch in the pool resting on the edge, she might get out by walking along the branch.
Well if it came back it seems obvious s/he prefers your pool and "service" (feeding)... ;) ♥
Aww!! Aren't there any young people to help get her out of the pool? Maybe animal rescue? Or, call the police dept and ask who you might call for assistance. Someone is bound to show up to help! She's so pretty!
Big hugs
Donna
Hello Sandra,
Tommie the turtle is so cute. It is nice you provided food and the rock for her to sit in the sunshine. She seems very happy there.
Take care, Happy Friday! Have a great day and happy weekend.
That is some great news about your turtle and that it's a she! I'm glad that she did get o the rock to dry out. She's a good size turtle. Hopefully you can move her someday. Take care.
I love that you are feeding her and she probably has NO plans to come out now that food is right there for the taking. I bet a wildlife sanctuary would come and get her if there is one in your area. Have a good weekend- xo Diana
Hi hi hi! Ojo here! Welcome, Tommie T! You have clearly decided that this is the best neighborhood with the best food! Hurray!
You are living a wild life! Tigris, Styx and Lanie too
There were dozens of turtles thriving in the urkiest of ponds beside a Buddhist temple I visited in Pulau Ubin 2 years ago - I don't think pool murk is the least bit troublesome to them. Good on you for feeding her - and feeding her proper food too.
Post a Comment