Sunday, December 9, 2012

Help! My fireplace is melting.


Early AM while sitting on the sofa with my laptop, I had my Redneck Fireplace, better known as Candles, burning brightly. The timer went off telling me "Go take your 8 am pills" and I realized my pillar candle was no longer a pillar.

six inch candle now 3 inches and shrinking 
I have never had this happen before... but a hole had melted in the side and the hot wax was pouring out. I quick blew out the candle, used a butter knife to dip up soft wax and patch the hole. It did not work.


I popped it into my freezer for half and hour, after it cooled down, and it popped right out.

Another way to remove the left over candle in the bottom of the holder.

Pour Murphy's soap and a little water in it and let it soak and it will float to the top.



PS.... Did you know hot wax hurts when it touches your fingers??? 

29 comments:

GOOSE said...

Those are some very beautiful photos. And yes melted wax can be painful.
Blessings,
Goose

Golden Woofs! SUGAR said...

Woof! Woof! Mom loves candles. Golden Thanks we did not about Murphy's soap. Happy sunday. Lots of Golden Woofs, Sugar

Ginny said...

Yikes! Very pretty, though!

Maple Lane said...

Thanks for the tips! Pretty photos but ouch on the hot wax.

BlueShell said...

Yes I do...
Ho Sandra...so beautiful...just like last year...amazingly beautiful....
Have a blessed Sunday. Bshell

From the Kitchen said...

My big question is, did you remember to take those pills?

Best,
Bonnie

Auntie sezzzzzz... said...

OUCH!!!

But such pretty, pretty, pretty Photo Ops! There is something so charming about dripping, melted wax.

Ever see a place, where they do it on purpose? A local bar/restaurant has a New Orleans Flavor and had a couple of big old candelabras on the bar... Having let candles melt down over them and making a huge, delightful "Puddle" all around each candle holder and all the way down.

I loved it! :-)

diane b said...

That's a real 'melt down'. I like the way the light shines through the candle.

Muffy's Marks said...

Pretty photos, but oh what a mess. I remember when I was in college, and it was cool to melt different colored waxes down wine bottles. When the wax patina was perfect the wine bottle was used as a candle holder!!

TexWisGirl said...

goofy girl. what you won't do for photos / blog posts. :)

Susannah said...

Hi Sandra....I knew about the freezer but never heard that about the Murphy's. I still like the effect of the dripping wax.

Madi and Mom said...

I like the angled candle...makes for a conversation piece.
do you remember way back in high school using hot wax to make the beaus class ring fit your finger. LOL
Hugs C

photowannabe said...

(:0)
Yes my dear, hot wax does hurt but kinda fun to play with too...
Your melty candle really is pretty with its drips and puddles. I'm glad you could get it up and it didn't ruin the table.
Love the Redneck Fireplace.

Ann said...

I've had that happen to me before and wax ended up all over a brand new table runner. I didn't know about the Murphy's soap trick but I do know that hot wax burns all too well.

Betsy Adams said...

I love candles too--but it looks like you need to make a trip to Walmart for a new one.... I know how that hot wax feels on your fingers... YIPES....

Hugs,
Betsy

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

I like the waxfall in the last picture. It may not be a waterfall,but it still looks pretty.

Cheryl @ TFD said...

I like your redneck fireplace. Pretty photos! Yes, I know from experience about the hot wax. :)
Have a fun Sunday!

Deb said...

but what a photo op you got...love the photos...

A Quiet Corner said...

And now you know why I burn electric candles, Sandra...good thing you caught it when you did!...:)JP

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Thanks for the tips on how to get out the melted wax, Sandra, but too bad about your candle.

Chatty Crone said...

Did you know I thought that photo of the candle spilling over was gorgeous! I love the way you capture everything. sandie

Catherine said...

That's why I don't get my legs, arms or other parts waxed. Youch! ;)
LOL!
xo Catherine

SweetMarie said...

I do know that hot wax does burn! I think the candle is gorgeous and the wax reminds me of icing dripping off hot cinnamon rolls! YUMMY!

Linda said...

Gorgeous candles and stands. Take care though!

EG CameraGirl said...

Love your redneck fireplace, Sandra! Yes hot was is truly hot. ;))

Dee said...

LoL.... red neck fireplace...those hot wax burns really hurt. ouch.

Cranberry Morning said...

Oh yeah, I'm well aware that hot wax hurts. lol And I have had that happen before too. Always nice when it happens on your best tablecloth. ;-)

Coloring Outside the Lines said...

Oh my- that's not good!

Rose said...

BEing that no one else has probably read these...yes I do know that hot wax hurts. When I was a kid, I had a big wart on one of my fingers...I would burn candles and pour drops of the hot wax on the wart hoping to kill it or suffocate it or something! I was old enough to know better, but couldn't help but hope.