Friday, February 5, 2016

What Color are your matches?



 What color are your matches? Do you keep matches? I tossed my match box away and pulled out the above.
I shouted in to the living room... Bob... "the matches are GREEN... "
"What?" came the aggravated answer
"Green the matches are green"... (how could I know it was the best part of a tennis match and I caused him to have to rewind to see and hear...)


I have NO memory of buying these matches.. 
It says  
Sourced from responsible trees.
 (don't worry about fire hazard, these were made from Responsible Trees)

Strike on Box (what, should I use my thumbnail like a cowboy)

Extra thick for LONGER BURNING.... WOO HOO and THANK YOU

Made in USA since 1881... the only ones I have seen were red and I was Made In 1944


My question to me, is how long have I had those red headed matches that I have been using the past few months? and How and When did I buy green matches and not know it?
I googled green matches and found that 
A. if i had red headed matches they were OUT OF DATE and very old and should be discarded.
B. they come in Strike Any Where  on anything, no box needed (one man on you-tube said he carries the strike anywhere in a box in his backpack when camping)  Can you see what might happen?
C. They sell them on Amazon for 5 bucks.. and the can be shipped in USA but not overseas..(I can tell you I did not pay 5 bucks for a box of matches even though I have no memory of buying them.
WHAT COLOR ARE YOUR MATCHES






20 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting! There is absolutely no telling how old our matches are...they are RED! Rarely do we use matches...I would love to burn a clean smelling candle but not with the cats around!

EG CameraGirl said...

I'm afraid my matches are out of date, Sandra.

eileeninmd said...

Good morning, I have never seen the green headed matches. But, I have not purchased matches in a long time. I do know the last matches we had in the house had red on the ends.

Happy Friday, enjoy your weekend!

Cranberry Morning said...

OH NO!!! I am in HUGE trouble! All our trees up here are totally irresponsible!!!

When I first saw your title, because I'm reading too fast, I thought it said, 'What color is your MACHETE?' Good grief, I think I've had a bit too much coffee this morning.

Have a wonderful weekend, friend. xoxo

Just Mags said...

I have never seen or heard of green matches until now. About a year ago we needed matches and we looked and looked for boxed matches. We finally found some after checking several places. They have a red head with a small white dot at the top. The only kind of boxed matches we have ever had. Do those green ones work well? Who would have ever thought matches would go "green". lol Hugs

Matilda the Boxer said...

WE have NO matches. Momma uses those long-handled lighters to light candles, and that's the only thing we'd need matches for. But Momma says she's never seen any color but red!

My Mind's Eye said...

We don't have any matches...we have one of those little stick lighters but that is it. Years ago when Dad was an auditor he traveled a lot and would collect match books.
You know you rarely see matchbooks in establishments now
Hugs madi your bfff

Unknown said...

I have no idea. MC uses matches. I never heard of green matches, this is serious ! ! What colors do match stick people come in, did you ever think about that ? Think about PINK match stick People. WOW stuff like this is what keeps me awake at night. There will be protests, Civil rights cases, It will cost millions.
FREE MATCH STICK PEOPLE NOW.

Unknown said...

How about match stick (Forensics). Think about matches found at crime scenes.
WOW, could solve a lot of cold case crimes.

DeniseinVA said...

The only time I ever use matches is if I need them to light the candles on the birthday cake. I have never ever seen green matches.

Ruth Hiebert said...

Never seen green matches and mine are red.

DawnTreader said...

I've never seen green matches here, ours are red or dark brown (and Made In Sweden) but both are the security kind, i.e. you have to strike them on the box.

Jo said...

Oh LOL at the "Made from responsible trees!" We have never seen green or red matches here in SA. All I remember is that in Tanzania we didn't have safety matches as ours here in SA profess to be. And boy, when you struck a match in Tz, it normally snapped off and burnt your clothes or the floor! Thanks for the laughs. Big (((hugs))) Jo

Jo said...

Oh, I meant to say: I dedicated one of my photos on TOMORROW'S post (Saturday) to you! Have a great weekend. Jo

Ann said...

I have no matches in my house. There are several lighters though. We have these matches at work. There's a box of them by the stove in the deli. It's an ancient gas stove and the burners have to be lit with a match. We've had the strike anywhere matches and maybe I'm just an idiot but I've had trouble getting them to light

Gail said...

We have lighters. No matches. Never seen green ones. Now you have me wondering...

Betty Manousos said...

we have lighters. no matches. i have never ever seen green matches.

Debby@Just Breathe said...

Well I have large collection of matchbooks from restaurants, those are usually black or white heads. I do have the green matches like you only I have the smaller boxes.

jp@A Green Ridge said...

Well considering we haven't bought them in years, I'd have to go look. Okay, they are faded red...so they must be super old!!...:)JP

Anonymous said...

I only remember having red ones, but I don't think I have any now. Green is all new to me, too. I guess everything is going green! 300! You'll be making a lot of flames to photograph.