Sunday, May 12, 2019

Mothers Day Memories

My Mother, Mary Lucille Overby McCall- 1925-1990

I snitched these questions from Myra's Post HERE.. thank you Myra.

Where did your mom grow up? My mother grew up in Palmetto, Florida. 2 miles from the home I have lived in the past 30 years. She was born in the hospital  2 miles from my home and played in the water above that is at our beach. She dug clams and caught crabs and fished with my grandfather in the same waters  I wade in.

Tell us about her siblings, if she has/had any.  Mother had one sister, Patricia. this makes her my favorite aunt on Mothers side of the family. I loved her like a sister, she was 9 years older than me, and when she was in her teens, she took me with her and her friends to the movies. I felt so grown up. I was in her wedding as flower girl and was instantly in love with her Navy Uniform Clad new hubby. While standing in the receiving line, I peaked around her and looked up at her new hubby and  asked her if I could marry him to, when I grew up. She saved my life many times when I did stupid things. NEVER TO BE TOLD HERE.

What is ONE of your favorite memories, you can share with us of your mom. The most fun we ever had at her expense, was the year she and my brothers wife both purchased not ONE but THREE identical presents for each other.   They were so shocked as they opened gifts under the tree and each time it was the same gift.  it seems, they went shopping together and each while trying to decide waht to buy for the other, would ask "do you like this" oh yes! they both went back later to buy the infamous 3 identical gifts.   the Joke was... neither of them really wanted any of the 3 items.

A glass cake dish, a brass plant stand and now I can't remember the 3rd item.



15 comments:

Ginny Hartzler said...

Wonderful memories, and your mom was both so beautiful and strong looking. So you are growing up where she did,how wonderful that is! I love your first photo creation.

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari om
Lovely post Sandra and I too think your mum looks strong and stunning! YAM xx

Betty Manousos said...

good morning sandra!

great post, wonderful memories, thanks so much for sharing with us. your mom sounds like a very special, beautiful and strong lady. i think few are lucky to have a mom like yours.

enjoy your day/weekend!

My Mind's Eye said...

Sandra what a beautiful post. Living where you do keeps your Mother close to your heart. I loved the memories and giggled at the gift story.
You 100% have your Mom's beautiful DNAs.
Hugs Cecilia

Linda P said...

A lovely post about your Mom. She sounds like a really special lady. Our mothers are with us in our hearts and we're blessed to have good memories of them. Have a wonderful day!

Rose said...

These are such fun memories...loved reading them. Specially the the three identical gifts! That is hilarious.

Have a great Mother's Day...you are one of the blessings in my life.

Pam said...

My first Mom's Day without my mom. Trying to stay busy and not make this a crying day.

photowannabe said...

Oh your Mother is so pretty. I love that jacket and hat. Sweet sixteen.

Mevely317 said...

I think you're deserving of another title: The Storyteller.

Not only was your momma a beauty, but I love how she politely agreed to liking something (even tho' she didn't really). Who'd have guessed that would come back to bite her … in triplicate! Such a sweet comment from the flower-girl that was you. Are Patricia and her Navy-clad hubby still living?

Hootin Anni said...

Beautiful...and quite sentimental being so close to where SHE grew up.

Debby@Just Breathe said...

I absolutely love your bond with your Aunt Patricia. Thank you for sharing and your mother is beautiful. Love the photo.
My mom grew up in Chicago. Dorothy Lucille (Krusina) Vlcek. She had one sister Laurie which is where my middle name came from.

peppylady (Dora) said...

I have a photo of my mom during the 40's
Coffee is on

Chatty Crone said...

Your mother was pretty.
HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY to you.

Ann said...

I'm a bit late but loved reading this. What great memories. Hope you had a happy mothers day

DeniseinVA said...

These are sweet memories of your Mom and Aunt. Loved the photos too, and that first one is special. Happy Mother's Day one day later.