Thursday, September 5, 2019

Warrior One - My Dad

Charles McCall Born 1872 Carry Terrell McCall Born 1886, Charles F McCall 1913 and Sandra McCall 1944
Warrior Men in my life, for 75 years. Happy Birthday to me.
Today it has been 75 years since I was born to the Warrior that was my Daddy. Last week it occurred to me that I was born to a warrior and married a warrior. I chose this photo of my dad because I have none of him when he was young and looked very much like the Cowboy Actor Rory Calhoun. Daddy was 90 in this photo and still loved his shotgun. In this photo the men were skeet shooting and I the Warrior Princess was target shooting with pistol, rifle.


I was not satisfied with the oxford definition, although brave and combatant and fearsome fits my Dad and my husband Bob. Below is a list of the warrior traits they share.
Robust
Lusty
active
energetic
mighty
able-bodied
stalwart
hard as nails
Confident
Strong
Aggressive
Disciplined
BRAVE! 
Both my Dad and my husband will fight to the death to protect their own, Daddy was that way until he died at 93 and Bob is still all of the above at 83. 
YES! it was and still is a challenge to live with these two Warriors! 

I was age 23, with 2 boys in diapers. A storm came, the lighting hit the fan in the hall causing it to dance all over the hall, I used a broom to unplug, the power went out. I simply called my Daddy and he drove 3 miles in the storm, put the sofa cushions on the floor in front of the screen door and sleep there all night. Sighing with relief that the warrior would protect me, I went to sleep.
Daddy has a temper and was a protector to the bone.
On a Wed night, I left Choir practice to drive home. a few blocks from the church, I saw a man on the side of the road, he was watching cars drive by, focusing on each driver. Being the Fearful Person I was born, I watched him carefully.
As I got close to him suddenly he leaped into the air and threw himself on to the fender of my car, fell to the road and started screaming and  cursing.
I had no idea Daddy (the pastor of our church) was only a car length behind me, and behind him was the organist of our church.
they both stopped and Daddy came roaring up to the man rolling in the street, screaming at him Get UP! I saw what you did, this is my DAUGHTER, get up and move on down the road, if you do anything to hurt my daughter I will kick your ass all over this town.
The man got up and hoofed it down the street. Daddy said go home., I said what if he follows me. He said He will not follow you, I will. He will never get the chance to hurt you...
I never saw or heard from him again... the man not Daddy...
But I do remember the organist/deacon standing staring at my Warrior Daddy in Warrior Mode

To Be Continued Tomorrow






16 comments:

Ginny Hartzler said...

What wonderful stories!!! And a great tribute to your dad. He was so brave and handsome! HAPPY HAPPY Birthday!!! I can't wait to hear the rest.

Saimi said...

Oh my what a wonderfully brave, strong man of a dad you had there!! A Warrior fits him to a T. I can't even believe someone would throw themselves on a car just to take advantage of a young girl. I'm so glad your dad was there to witness the whole thing. My dad is so calm and quiet, I would have been the one yelling at the guy haha. Thank you for sharing these great stories and I'll be looking forward to more!!

Linda said...

Happy Birthday! You make your daddy proud - every single day! What an amazing blessing to have had not one warrior - but TWO - in your life! You are so special! Love you, Sandra! And I love your warrior, too!

Hootin Anni said...

Happy birthday dear one! Your father was a true warrior

I look forward to more.

Ann said...

Happy Birthday to you
Happy Birthday to you
Happy Birthday dear Sandra
Happy Birthday to you.

I enjoyed reading about your warrior father and look forward to reading more.

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
I'm joining in the singing... can you hear me??!!! Congrats and thanks for the personal history - luv it. Have a wonderful day my dear blogpal!!! Huggies, YAM-aunty xxx

Rose said...

Happy Birthday! You could write a book...I would buy it...

Mevely317 said...

Handsome dude, your dad!
I LOVE the story of him giving the business to that would-be carjacker/er, traffic bait. Well, THAT and coming to your rescue in the storm.

Soooo glad to know there are still REAL warrior men out there … and ladies who appreciate them.

Happy Birthday again n' again!

Chatty Crone said...

Happy birthday to you and many more.
Yes I think all three of you were warriors.
That story of your dad and how he took care of you like that.
Must have really been nice to be so protected.
Can't wait for more.
Sandie

The Adventures of the LLB Gang said...

What wonderful warriors you have!
Happy Birthday Sandra!!!

photowannabe said...

Breath-taking scene you painted.
How scary and how wonderful that you have and had such Warriors in your life.
I think I would have loved meeting your Daddy and Bob too.
Absolute Warriors...
Actually you are a Warrior Queen yourself...Birthday Lady!
I hope you have a great day and do something special when you get home from TOPS.
Wish I was there to celebrate with you...(we could have coffee) (:0)

Ruth Hiebert said...

Hope you have been enjoying every minute of your birth day so far. That is a precious tory.

LC said...

What a wonderful background for observing your birthday! And do you ever have some good genes. At 90 and he still stood warrior proud and active. Happy Birthday!

DeniseinVA said...

I loved these stories about your Daddy. And you told it so well! I suspect you are a warrior too. The apple doesn’t fall far from the tree.

Happy Birthday!!!!

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Belated Happy 🎂 Birthday wishes, Sandra, and thanks for this post remembering your father, the warrior. He was a man dedicated to his family and you are the same as well.

Debby@Just Breathe said...

Your dad sounds awesome. Enjoyed reading this post about your Warrior Dad!