Friday, September 6, 2019

Warrior Two - My Husband


I married my Dad Bob, Warrior # Two,  on Feb 8 , 1985.

 My Dad and my Husband share all the warrior traits. They also shared Short Tempered and LOUD Bull-headed as in Stubborn to the Bone Always Right which means never wrong. Do it my Way!

The Good news/Bad news is...….. I share MOST of the same traits they do.. Which means a FUN 75 years with 2 warriors and a Warrior Princess.

this is part two of Warriors in my life, continued from prior post HERE

At the age of 18, I fled from the home of my Warrior Dad, wanting nothing but to be out from under his reign over me. HA HA on me.... I will skip that part of the story OF THE  middle years and get on with this story.
At age 40, I married Bob.

From the day we married, Bob became my protector. If he was home, I slept well, if not I did not sleep well. Because I knew he would protect me until death.

He was just like my dad. I was his and don't you touch me. Once on the beach at Daytona, I saw a man in the distance and stopped walking. I said I don't want to walk that way, the man looks like my wife beating ex-husband.. He turned into my dad, and said Don't you worry, I want to see him, I will kick his ass all over this beach...    See what I mean? same thing my dad said to the man by the road.

The year I had a really horrible surgery, I had to come home with a catheter for a week. Warrior Bob brought me home and went to work the next day. At 10 am I dialed his work place and his Boss Henry answered.  I started crying and said Henry can Bob come home? he said he will be right there.

Bob showed up 10 minutes later and rushed in the house. What's Wrong? What's wrong? I said nothing I just want you here... He took off his uniform, climbed on the bed and laid down. I instantly fell asleep and slept for hours. Did not even know when he got up to watch TV in the other room...

Just being in the house, I felt SAFE

PROTECTORS! Both my Dad and My Husband. God knew I was a fearful person and put them in my life and I only just realized it this week....it took me 75 years to figure it out.

They Both...
picked splinters and thorns from my feet while I yelled OUCH! and no, I did not stop going barefoot. I had them to Handle The Results.
They both have bandaged cuts and rubbed stinky stuff on aching back. 
Opened jars and unjammed stuck drawers
Lifted heavy things I could not lift
Protected Me Always when my fears came to call.
PS..... the first 18 years, Daddy was the Flashlight Man when I needed to potty in the dark. Daddy, I would call and he would shine the flashlight and wait until I said OK, turn it off.
Bob provided nightlights in every room, no need for a flashlight.

He also will go in the back yard with me if I want to get in the pool in the dark. Dark makes me crazy.
They both came when the car would not start, or the tires went flat..
LAST BUT NOT LEAST, THEY BOTH BUTTED HEADS WITH ME MANY TIMES AND STILL LOVED ME.  I AM MY DAD AND I AM MY HUBBY, THANK YOU LORD.

16 comments:

Ginny Hartzler said...

This is such a wonderful post, and now I have a big lump in my throat! So well written beautiful, and a wonderful tribute to the two men in your life. I love the pictures, and Bob's cool belt! But...WHY would you ever want to go into the pool in the dark? Maybe that needs a part 3!

Hootin Anni said...

To me, from reading this...the men in your life are not only protectors, they were/are VERY understanding & have prioritized your well-being. Kudos

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
Sandra, I feel privileged to have been given this glimpse of your men. True men. Doing what the male of the species is designed to do. Thank you for opening them up to us. YAM xx

Ann said...

How wonderful to have two wonderful warriors in your life.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

Bob surely hasn't changed, has he! And you look so pretty in the photo too. It's so great to have someone 'on your side'! I love that! My hubby is loyal and stands up for me. It sure is a blessing to have a good husband! Hugs, Diane

Gayle said...

You were and are and will continue to be blessed. And . . . you have blessed me by sharing your new incite.
And . . . I'm reminded to be thankful for my warrior as well.

Pam said...

Stubborn is a trait I also carry.....however I have never had a warrior in my life and I had to learn that trait to protect myself. Living single for over 26 yrs I am not sure a man could live with me now!! Set in my ways. It is awesome that you have had that. Great job on picking that warrior.

Chatty Crone said...

Chatty is wordless.
What a beautiful love story and tribute to you father and husband.
You are loved. sandie

Mevely317 said...

Beautiful! This may be my very favorite post of yours EVER. (Altho I did burst out laughing at Paragraph #3)

Have you thought about submitting it to Good Housekeeping or something like that for publication?

photowannabe said...

What a beautiful and transparent post Sandra.
I love you for sharing who you are and those Warriors in your life.
Yes God knew who and what you needed to live your full life.
I'm glad you "found" each other.
The hard times of our lives push us towards the good.
Love you Girlfriend.
Sue

Ruth Hiebert said...

The phrase," But they still loved me", stood out above all the rest. You are blessed.

The Adventures of the LLB Gang said...

What a wonderful duo of warriors you have been blessed with!!!

Rose said...

Oh, Sandra, this was such a good read at the end of the day. would have been good any time. I am amazed that you found Bob....it has been so much fun to get to know you two through your blog. Instagram is fun, but my life has gained more through blogging.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Your warrior husband, Bob, was and continues to be a strong protector, Sandra. And, WOW to the photo of him on the beach on your honeymoon. Are you sure you didn’t need to protect him from female admirers 😉

Linda said...

Sandra, I believe this is the most beautiful post you have ever written. Had me tearing up and emotional. God is good.....he knew you needed Bob. Y’all are such beautiful people. Now.....about that sexy photo of Bob on your honeymoon! Is that the same swimming trunks he’s wearing in the next photo??? Hahahaha!

Debby@Just Breathe said...

Well you brought me to tears. I've never been loved that way.