Monday, August 10, 2020

AC Woes in The Tropics of Florida


 Since April we have been in a HEAT WAVE to top all previous heat waves! 
Months of waking up to 82 F and going to mid 90's, The past week high 90's, and one day 100. HIGH HUMIDITY!
 Last night at 11 pm it was still 93 outside. Breathing without AC is like breathing under water.

Above is my bathroom window. Please do not JUDGE ME this book by its cover.
Yes that is cardboard, yes I do store things in the window. the bathroom is tiny, so is the sink has no counter space.  Below is the master bedroom window and yes it has cardboard all the way to the top.
My Make Do  Solution to keep out the HOT Florida Sun!


The little guy above is a 10,000 BTU Portable Air Conditioning Unit .400 dollar unit, that came in a box. 
Said Box was used to insulate the windows from the HOT Florida HEAT! 
Below is just a closer view of my art work. Thank You Duct Tape and Cardboard.


This story started at 5 AM Saturday, the 11th. The Central AC Unit died, we waited through the week end for our AC guy to come on Monday at noon. 
Sad News! the 19 year old unit was deceased with no way to do CPR.

Even more sad news!  We are in day EIGHT as I type this of waiting for a quote. The news will be BAD  and that is IF he finds one. More about that at the end


We have this little guy to sit in the kitchen window, it is 10 years old, 5000 BTU and for 250 square feet room, We paid $99 for it when we had to wait a week for a part to come in. It somewhat cools the living room/kitchen.
LET THE WOES BEGIN
 I had seen the portable units on QVC, and since Amazon or Walmart were going to take 8 days to come. I called Lowes and Home Depot and they each had 2 units.
I visit both stores, fearful of  The VIRUS, and call home, ask Bob to measure the widith of windows, 52 and the thingy for the window is 50 inches. I come home in a car that was up to 120 degrees inside and into a house that was 87 inside and realize the 50 would fit. Next Morning I go to Home Depot and return home and 
OMG OMG OMG the thing weighs a ton,  But Wait I say to Bob, it has wheels.. We unbox in the driveway and it takes two of us to roll it into the house and lift it up one step..
The simple installation  was LOUD and took a couple of hours BECAUSE...
A NECESSARY PART WAS MISSING..   I call Home Depot! they only have one left. Bring it back and get the other.

I WENT THROUGH THE ROOF. 
Pleasantly through the roof.
Explained we are OLD and all about how we got it IN the house and would not be able to bring it back and get another one in the house.
I think he could tell I was fighting tears.
 I wanted the part only.
He finally said there is only one left, if you come over I will open it and give you the part.
That went well, he was really nice and had pulled it and had it waiting.

The sweet thing is, the little expensive guy makes the bedroom  ICY! 

With the combo of the two units we could live cold in one room and cool in am only but by 2 pm
the living room was 85 humid degrees.
 I shut myself in the icy bedroom.  The little unit does fine until it gets 95 outside then struggles.

NOW WE WAIT, AC guys hopes to have an answer Monday, which is today.

The Reason we wait:
In 1972 a man custom built this house and bought a BARD commercial unit.

We replaced the unit with the same type in 1990  because it had lasted 19 years. 
That one lasted 13 years, we replace it with the same and it died on its 19th birthday. 
There in lies the problem. They don't make them any more, AND it has a special over under hook up, all new AC use side by side. 
ARRRH
He said IF he finds one, maybe$ 8000 or more... Big Boy has his own view of this tale HERE
HAPPY DAYS ARE HERE AGAIN!
BOB's EYES are Perfect, the stitches are gone, he is back to normal and might get to swim by Friday.
 photo was taken BEFORE death of AC so almost got a smile, he might be smiling because we have in 5 weeks bought a new pool pump, a coffee pot, a Shark Vacuum all of which chose to DIE at the same time. Before the AC died so we could be sure to run out of money. I have been in catrophizing mode for WEEKS 




19 comments:

Ginny Hartzler said...

I am almost speechless. But you know that neither one of us is completely speechless. You know how to get tingd done! I am proud of you! I sure hope you hear something today! Bob looks GOOD!

easyweimaraner said...

we think we will adopt your idea with the cardboards... this heat is from hell.... thanks for an idea ... our dad will love it, there is duct tape included LOL

CheerfulMonk said...

Good for you! What an ordeal, you have my utmost sympathy because I hate heat. That's great news about Bob's eye. Fingers crossed for you!

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
You have found ways to deal with it - not convenient, but practical. That's the main thing! YAM xx

Hootin Anni said...

I would be livid by now
Trust me, the humidity would have climbing the walls with a broken A.C.. And a little "temporary" portable, one room unit, would not suffice. Hang in there the best you can you two. And hope Bob can swim soon. Looking good.

eileeninmd said...

Good morning, Sandra

First YAY, I have to say I am happy Bob is healed and will be able to swim again. Great photo of Bob! I am sorry you have to go through such an ordeal with the room AC, I know you must have AC living in Florida. I hope the whole house AC problem can be fixed soon. Take care! Have a good day!

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Heat and hit weather are reasons we never thought of living in Florida. The VA eastern shore was also very hot in summer months. Sorry to read about the AC woes, Sandra. Nice that you got the part for the portable unit and your homemade remedy to keep the sun out seems like a great use for cardboard and duct tape too. Glad to see that Bob is doing better as well.

Ann said...

I don't know how I would handle all of this. I would probably go off the deep end. It's been hot here but not unbearable. There was only about a week where I couldn't sleep without using the small window unit that Wade had purchased a long time ago for his man cave.

Martha said...

Ugh, how horrible! I'm in Florida too and have been through the same before but to have to deal with all that while worried about the virus too is just completely overwhelming! I'm glad you are at least able to keep the one room nice and cold now. Our AC is working but it's been so hot this summer that we have to keep all the blinds closed all day or the AC can't quite keep up. I'm sure not complaining though, your situation is the worst!

Gayle said...

Firstly I commend your resourcefulness with the cardboard.
Secondly, as a retiree from an HVAC service company, I would say look into a Heat Pump, not an AC unit. Don't be fooled by the term 'heat'. It sits outside like an ac unit and I would give it an A+ for getting job done.

They work well year around in warmer areas. We have both a heat pump and an oil furnace due to winter conditions. Heat pumps are not happy below about 25 degrees.

There is a large HVAC corporate company based in your area with service companies too. This is not an ad; just sharing from our experience.

And . . . so glad to hear Bob's eyes are up and running.

My Mind's Eye said...

Oh my word....bless your hot, sweaty, hearts. I cannot even imagine...making do is about all one can do. I love the smart way you recycled the a/c box.
Those little jewels are a wonderful invention on wheels. We love ours in Bryan's train room which is upstairs but at least we got it into the garage where there is a shorter set of stairs.
Hugs Cecilia

Mevely317 said...

I'd like to punch in the mouth whoever said Summer's the best season. Obviously, they never lived in the Southeast -- or Arizona. A couple days ago our weatherman said this is the hottest summer on record. Your using the cardboard is genius -- necessity is the mother of invention, indeed! I've been praying y'all get some relief SOON. Off to the church now, but hope to hear some GOOD news before long.

PS - Bob looks great!

DawnTreader said...

I'm happy to see that Bob's eye has healed so well! ... But sad about your AC and other appliances dying, and all the trouble (and costs) involved!

Chatty Crone said...

I am thrilled about Bob's eyes.
I can emphasize with you when you talk about things breaking down.
It seems it is time for our house too.
I can emphasize too about the money.
I imagine a/c don't last too long in Florida with the heat.
Well you do have your priorities in order!

photowannabe said...

Oh Sandra...the drama and horror of it all.
What a saga of misadventure.
Bless that guy at Home Depot helping you out.
I certainly hope the AC if he finds one for you will not cost $8000. Terrible....
thrilled that Bob is healed so well. I'll bet he can't wait to get back in the pool.
Wish I could help you out some way...(((hugs)))
Sue

Ruth Hiebert said...

I can’t imagine living in that heat without a/c., i have a free standing one in my kitchen/dining room area and it does an ok job of keeping the house comfortable .

The Adventures of the LLB Gang said...

Ugh!!!! I sure hope you got a reasonable quote today, I know from staying in a Texas home with no AC in the summer, that it's NO FUN!!

My Tata's Cottage said...

Oh bother! The darn things we need break down at the worst times. Bob looks well YAY YAY! Prayer works! I better be praying on your a/c too but you sure know how to fix a problem! I am glad Home Depot helped you out. My friend in upstate NY had zero power for one week. They are 40ish. took to their backyard with tents for themselves and one teen son to sleep in. Seven days later still no power but all around them have power. Took a drive found a downed tree with power lines called from the spot to the folks who zipped over there. Power on! Thank God and good power co people! Courtney said they spent a king's random on a pricey generator and assorted other items trying to stay cool. Life stinks sometime. Thank goodness for great women and men who get things done. Holy Moly I hope everything stays cool for you. We have a heat wave too but dry like a tumbleweed. We had thunderstorms tonight and twenty five drops of rain. No relief in sight. I will be praying on all these heat woes. Take care and glad you are cool right now. HUGS across the miles. XO XO

Debby@Just Breathe said...

I can't believe what you have been through. Florida, humidity and no air...OMG! What a hassle. Thank God Mark runs those errands, I could never do it. I do hate being in a store. I ran into Trader Joe's yesterday and I was a nervous wreak. Mark can't do the list right so I got what I wanted and he did the checkout. I was only in there for maybe 10 minutes and it was crowded. I hate this virus!!! Hope your air is running now.