Tuesday, February 9, 2021

to Dongle or not to Dongle

 

During the Search of Incredible-Asus AIO (all in one), I braved the fear of virus,  and behind my mask entered the Best Buy Store to get drop off the Electronic Recycle Items found while cleaning the front bedroom.

While there, I wandered the computer section, I was the only one in that section and that is how I found what the nano- bezel edge and fell in love. I added that to my list of must have.

If I had not deep cleaned and tossed the front bedroom, I would have no AIO or Bezel screen..

The young salesman said, pointing to a laptop,  I bought one of these for my mom for Christmas. The only thing is it has no dvd/cd in it. If you need one You can buy a dongle, they aren't very expensive.

I did NOT show my ignorance and ask what a dongle was because I was not buying the laptop and also did not want him to think I did not know what he meant. 

Think 76 year old trying to impress 25 year old.

I hurried home and checked with Google Girl

A dongle is a small piece of computer hardware that connects to a port on another device to provide with additional functionality.

When the Asus appeared with no DVD/Cd player in it, I was not surprised. Seems most computers don't use that now, every thing is download..

I don't need one, was my first thought. But then I don't want to pay 79.99 a year for use of Word and Excel.
I had the DVD with Word from 2010, plus my DVD of Photoshop and also 100 CD's of photos from The Past.
I present you my 
TWO New Dongles..
Dongle-DVD player and Dongle Backlit 4 port USB Hub
I bought the USB port because I did not want Amazon to deliver JUST ONE ITEM... 😋😋
To be Cont....

I Totally forgot our anniversary yesterday.. Happy 36 Anniversary a day late and Bob did remember it yesterday or this would not be here today



26 comments:

Ginny Hartzler said...

I did not know any of this computer stuff! Happy Late Anniversary, I love the stamp you made!

Linda said...

I’m like Ginny! I didn’t know this stuff either! I may need a Dongle! But I still don’t quite understand it!
Happy Anniversary! Louis Dean and I will be 16 years married in June! I just love knowing you and Bob! You are the other ‘us!’

CheerfulMonk said...

I have a bunch of dongles thanks to Apple. And my DVD player is an external one.

easyweimaraner said...

I often look like stranded on planet of the apes when I visit such a store... but after a repair guy bamboozled me totally with talking academese to me, I did the same to him with giving him my password for the laptop... it is so weird and rude that even my husband took a deep breathe... mission completed...

Hootin Anni said...

The only thing my dongle is good for is to hold a roll of t p!! In other words, never heard of it.

eileeninmd said...

Happy Anniversary Sandra!
I have not heard of a Dongle, but it makes sense and is a great purchase.
Have a great day!

Ann said...

I had no idea they didn't come with DVD/CD players any more. I have heard of a dongle though.
Happy belated anniversary. Good job Bob for remembering

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
Yup, had lots of dongles in my time... and would have to get one in the event of updating and the machine not having a native DVD (that means one fitted onboard). I have lots of DVD films and like to watch them on Voovoo in bed sometimes... only her's has started to not play all the time and rejects discs so I may even have to find a dongle one for her!!! YAM xx

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Belated anniversary wishes to you and Bob. My desktop PC, also did not have a CD/DVD drive, so I bought an external one because I have many photo CDs that I am s-l-o-w-l-y transferring to external drives, and the emphasis here is on slow. I knew about dongles but not the ones you posted about. Learn something new every day is grue and same here. Glad you were able to recycle stuff and get some new stuff in the same place.

Rose said...

Happy Anniversary! Glad Bob remembered....

Martha said...

I would have had to ask what it was. I wouldn't be patient enough to go home and ask google. Happy Anniversary! :)

My Mind's Eye said...

Happy 36th....well done Bob.
Dongle...well I'll be the techies who come up with these names are so creative.
Hugs Cecilia

Mevely317 said...

Wow on your 36 years!!!
Ditto what "Easy" said about Planet of the Apes. I had a similar experience 10 years ago at the Apple store. Just wanted a little i-Pod, but the baby-faced clerk was so condescending. Good for you, bluffing about the dongle! Now I'm terrified my desktop is going to roll over and I'll have to deal with those know-it-all's.

DawnTreader said...

I've heard of 'dongle' but not sure I'd be able to define it correctly (even to myself). Now I have a new word to ponder about: 'bezel' ... So you got a new computer?? My laptop (an ASUS btw) does have a dvd/cd player in it, I had that on my requirement list when I bought it. But then that was ... nearly 4 years ago (had to go to my blog to check!)... (How time flies...)

photowannabe said...

Boy, the NON-Techie me doesn't have a clue about Dongles and such.
My Laptop Mac-Pro doesn't have a CD/DVD player in it. I really miss it. the thing I had before did and I loved being able to transfer my photos etc, onto the laptop.
Glad Bob remembered your special day. Thanks for the email about how you spent it.
Sue

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

Happy Anniversary to the two of you! Hope you have a beautiful week! So far the weather has been ideal! Hugs...to you both!

♥♥ The OP Pack ♥♥ said...

Mom had no idea what a dongle was and couldn't even imagine what it was. Now that is a good thing to have because the laptops here don't have places for CDs or DVDs. All of our records from the old vet are on CDs and in files on the laptop. Maybe it would be a good idea to invest in a dongle:)

Woos - Lightning, Misty, and Timber

Carol Henstra said...

I have one also my son in-law bought me it. Thanks for your help. I wrote you an email. I see five are still here. Glad I sort of figured how to do some to get back . Now I have to read of your blogs what I have missed for a year being away. How is Bob?

Ruth Hiebert said...

Happy Anniversary . I have several devices that need a dongle, so I have a few s well.

The Adventures of the LLB Gang said...

Happy Anniversary!!

Coloring Outside the Lines said...

Happy Anniversary! I admit I did not know what a dongle was either. I did finally get a new computer and it did not come with a CD/DVD player. I wonder are those going the same way of the 8 track player of olden days?

IsacAiden said...

There is noticeably a bundle to know about this. I assume you made certain nice points in features also.

Jishikin.com
Information
Click Here

Grandma C said...

😂🤣🤣🤣 You broke me up with 76 year old trying to impress 25 year old.
That's what I get for sending you to Best Buy. I am enjoying your computer saga. lol

DeniseinVA said...

A bit late but Happy Anniversary! Didn’t know what a dongle is.

Susan from Bucks County said...

Happy Anniversary!!!

Debby@Just Breathe said...

I'm confused on the Dongle.

Happy Anniversary!