Saturday, May 29, 2021

The Rant

 


Now if you don't want to hear the RANT feel free to say how wonderful the photo from my archives is and pass on. 
😛😛😛😛

Bob received a letter this week, the ominous return address was
Juror Clerk, Federal Courthouse, Tampa FL.

We in the USA know what this means. Jury Duty.
FEDERAL Jury Duty.

Under threat of PENALTIES from Federal Govt the paper had to be returned by mail or go to a link on line. 
Robert, you have TEN days to answer this letter under penalty of The Law!
I saw RED
With the info you provide we will decide if you will be called as a juror on a federal case.
Yada yada blah blah its your duty, blah blah yada you must under penalty of blah blah
on and on.
A. bob  will be 85 Oct 1, he can't hear, he can't even walk the dog a half mile let along drive to Tampa.

B. the federal court house is 90 minute drive and each case can be weeks/months long

C, He has already been removed from the local list of Jurors for all of the above.

I went online, filled out the form, received the confirmation that I did it.

 I had to tell them why I was filling it out for him and who I was and it said if you don't have access to internet do NOT call.
Do it by mail. What if it got lost in the US MAIL that is now US FAIL MAIL

Here is where the rant comes in. After 20 minutes of filling out all the reasons he can't do it, at the very bottom , last thing it said you may choose the 
I AM OVER 70 and choose not to do this option. 
Why was that not at the top? They knew his age because I had to USE his age to sign in.

In our world, Rabble Rousers can attach the Capitol building, kill police officers and threaten to kill the Vice President and they threaten US with Penalty of Law for not answering the letter in 10 days?

Yes, I am almost certain they will remove him from the list, but it was the threatening tone of the letter that set me off, that and the fact they did not offer the option of over 70 until the very end.


24 comments:

Ginny Hartzler said...

We used to get these latters maybe once a year!! Phil had to go once, but the defendant made a plea deal and the jury was sent home with pay. Now we just use the over 70 option. Your next to last paragraph is SO RIGHT!!! And yes, your photo is gorgeous.

DeniseinVA said...

Love the photo and I would definitely rant at the tone of this letter.

CheerfulMonk said...

That sucks, but at least he doesn't have to go. I had federal jury in Albuquerque, 100 miles away, years ago. It was a royal pain.

Linda said...

I used to get a summons to Linda Davis (maiden name) with a birth year of 1911!! Talk about the dead voting! I'm sure this one did since she was still in the system!

Hootin Anni said...

Been there, done that!!! I hear ya'

eileeninmd said...

Hello,

I love the photo. It seems like they could check out the birth date before sending out these notices. My hubby recently got one from our local court, he wrote back about his hearing problem and they have removed him. Our mail is still a joke, now they want to raise the prices again. Take care, have a happy weekend!

Ann said...

That would make me furious also. They could have put the choose to opt out option at the top. Better yet it could have come up as soon as you put in his birthday.

Betty Manousos said...

omg! that sucks...that would make me enraged also.

Betty Manousos said...

love the photo btw.

Martha said...

So frustrating, sorry you had to deal with that!

Mevely317 said...

Oh m'gosh, girl! I'd be furious.
You're so right about 'FAIL mail', too. I suspect the Postal Service has simply quit caring. This ain't the America I grew up in.

Tigger's Mum said...

Feel better now? They're just checking to see if you had enough education to read all the way to the end. Easiest way to avoid jury service is to publish something incendiary on social media. 😉 or possibly ðŸĪŠ to establish you're la-la. xxx Mr T

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
... my first thought was 'what about Bob's age?"... rant accepted and seconded! YAM xx
(who LOVES his ghosting of the beach)

My Mind's Eye said...

That is wrong on so many levels and RANT worthy even by me.
Yes indeed why was it even sent to him, why was it not at the top.
Same here with age. The year I turned 30 I rec'd my first jury summons.
Little did it know the first week of January and July each year Wake Co. selects grand jurors from the jury summons list. 9 chosen in January and out of the 65 jurors who were called I was picked for Grand Jury. Only way out was to move out of the country or die. Well I didn't want to do either especially #2. I had to once a month for a year. If there were a large number of cases we had to serve 2 times a month.
Hugs
Cecilia

Inger said...

The photo is fabulous to begin with. The letter is what you can expect I guess. You wonder why people who design forms don't take a minute and fill one out to see if it makes sense. You are so right on about everyting in that form. Why put the 70 years at the end, makes no sense at all.

Olde Dame Holly said...

Your photo is stronger in black and white than if it were in color. It's funny how that is sometimes. I do not like threatening letters from anyone much less the government.

photowannabe said...

That's because we are all just a NUMBER. No one is reading anything we write..digital doesn't recognize our emotions and thoughts.
We were finally able to opt out the last time we got a summons. I hate all the gobbley gook we had to go through.
Old is Old!!
Your rant is right on for sure..I hate the tone of things sent out that way. Fear mongering doesn't gain anything.
My rant too.
Sue

Chatty Crone said...

Oh my goodness that was mean and asinine!

Debby@Just Breathe said...

When I started reading this I thought "wait after 70 you can refuse to go!" You're right about things that are going on. First of all letting prisoners go free! People get arrested and are let go the same day. Even ones that have killed someone. California government sucks. Of course I never wanted the pandemic to happen but this October I turn 70 and can't wait to say no. I would normally be called every year.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Your points are well taken, Sandra, and hope this rant helped because you were right that the age info should have been the first thing to check off.

DawnTreader said...

I totally understand your "rant". We don't have that jury duty system here but it seems strange to me that they don't just exclude people over 70 from getting those letters to start with. Surely your authorities must have that information? But maybe I'm too used to the Swedish system where social security numbers based on date of birth are used for absolutely *everything*...

♥♥ The OP Pack ♥♥ said...

LOVE the photo, and the rant is totally justified!!!

Catalyst said...

Love the photo. Maybe you could just send the feds that!

diane b said...

Your frustration and anger is well warranted. Bill often explodes at the way public servants like to throw their weight around and think they are demi gods.