Friday, December 31, 2021

The Ghost of Christmas Past FFF

 


In Sept of 2005, my dad had to move into a nursing home, suffering from advanced Parkinson's Disease and Dementia. He passed away July of 2006. During the year he was there, I spent many hours with him and all the staff and residents around him.
I fell in love with the home and the people. I retired Sept 26 of 2006 and went straight to the home and volunteered myself for 3 mornings a week, 9 to 12.
Christmas of 2006, above, I became Sandra Clause for the home until 2015.
My job was talking  to and loving the residents and also the official photographer for all events.
this included parties and dances and off-site visits to zoos and museums and parks.

I would take photos of the residents, make them into movies on CD's and then on a large screen TV we would all watch them over and over.


In 2007, new to the job of making CD movies, the Administrator said the families wanted copies of all the movies I made. I had no clue how to copy the movies.

Admin said go to room 401, Rich lives there and he will tell you how and might even copy them for you.
That visit to his room changed my life forever.

When I stepped in his room, there he sat, just like this. a twisted body, no movement except in his left arm and his head and of course his MOUTH which matched mine. 
We became Best Friends in that one visit. He not only copied all the movies for me but taught me how to do it and became my Photoshop Professor.  We spent hours and hours together.

It was a total shock to me that he could use a roller ball with only one hand and whip through his computer faster than the speed of light.
He brought laughter and joy to my life and to everyone who lived and worked in the home.
Nothing made him sad. this man who was picked up like a baby each morning and placed in his chair and lifted into bed at night. The aids that took care of him did it for LOVE not money.
Together Rich and I became Team Joy to the residents.

Every trip we took, every party we had, he and I were there together making people laugh.
That year, he invited me to meet him at the SPCA CANINE Festival, and we never missed going until the day he died. 
He left this earth Nov 8th, 2015, and remains in my heart still.

If you have a moment, scroll quickly through this link of my Life with Rich.
Rich could not hold a fork or spoon. He could feed himself at a special table, the height of his mouth. 
We laughed ourselves silly the first time I tried to put the harness on his hand that allowed a fork or spoon to be used to stab or rake food off the plate into his mouth.
I had in on backwards, not once but twice.
When we went out to eat, I fed him like a baby. Nothing bothered him, he laughed and talked and ate and made all the others at the table happy.
He had suffered from his disease his whole life, yet never complained, or whined, he was the most positive person I have ever known.
Christmas is the time of year I miss him most, because he loved Sandra Clause and she loved him.

Rich Rodgers LIFE in a wheelchair. As you scroll, be sure to click Older Post because the oldest are the best... you can see his life in photos, no need to read.

On this the day before the new Year of 2022, I wish all of you
a Year of the same Joy that Rich spread his entire life.




Happy New year from Sandra Clause and Rich of Christmas Past
Joining Yam on Final Friday Fiction, using a True Story






20 comments:

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
Oh, Sandra - I am thrilled you joined in FFF again - and that too, with a most heartwarming, touching, moving... well, a downright gorgeous telling of the life that was Rich Rodgers!!! Loved that look backlink too. Thank you and bless you - and I send my very best wishes to you and Bob and Beau for the turning of the year. YAM xx

Ginny Hartzler said...

I remember Rich well, and your posts of him. He had such a strong and beautiful spirit. So you were best friends for about 8 years by my calculations. This is a wonderful tribute to him!

CheerfulMonk said...

Bless you both. Thank you so much. What a heartwarming, inspiring story. ❤️

Ann said...

I remember reading a lot of posts about Rich and how special he was. Remembering a good friend is a nice way to end this year.

eileeninmd said...

Hello,
I remember many of your posts about Rich. He was such a great inspiration and teacher for you. Thanks for sharing his story. I wish you, Bob and Beau all the best in 2022, a very happy and healthy New Year!

crafty cat corner said...

Such a beautiful story and thankyou for reminding me that we shouldn't moan when we are able to walk about and not rely on others.
I hope that you both are able to enjoy a healthy and happy 2022 and a big thankyou for a really lovely blog.
Briony
x

My Mind's Eye said...

Sandra this was absolutely beautiful and heartwarming
Hugs Cecilia

Rose said...

I read this before going to bed last night and got lost in looking back and forgot to comment. I am glad you got to.enjoy his friendship for as long as you did, but wish it could have been many more.

Forsythia said...

A beautiful story by a person who is beautiful in so many ways! You bring joy to so many with your writing and photos and you brought joy and found joy in your volunteer work at that nursing home. Happy New Year.

Betty Manousos said...

such a beautiful story! thank you so much for sharing.
here’s wishing you and yours a very Happy New Year! Sending lots of love and good wishes. ❤️🎈🥂🥳💥

Mevely317 said...

Dear lady! Of course, I remember your posts about Rich; but this?! Not three-quarters of the way through and my cheeks soaking wet. What a blessing you two were to one another. I wish my attitude was even a smidgen like his.

Chatty Crone said...

Boy we have been friends a long time - I remember a lot of that!!!
I have news - all four of us have come down with Covid. :(

bobbie said...

Great story, and what a wonderful man he was!!

photowannabe said...

Tender memories. A beautiful, heartwarming post Sandra.
Rich is one of those special angels God puts in your life.
I remember so much of the posts but am glad to relive them as I have gotten to know you better.
Happy New Year and looking forward with anticipation to what 2022 will be for all of us.
Sue

DeniseinVA said...

Well Sandra, I feel blessed with this story. Rich was one of earth's angels and so are you!

Ida said...

What a wonderful post. You both were/are the special people that help make this world a better place. - Happy New Year!

Linda said...

What an amazing relationship you two had! Loved back through all your posts about Rich....what a wonderful testimony of him!

Tigger's Mum said...

The more we read your blog the more in awe we become at what a remarkable person YOU ARE. Friendships like that take 2 and you were clearly as good a friend to him as he was to you. As for rescuing dogs, you are very like a friend of mine who has also been caring for strays and rescue dogs since childhood. These days she takes in rescue dogs znd assesses and trains them so they can be adopted by suitable new owners.

Debby@Just Breathe said...

That was so nice of you to volunteer. I remember your friend Rich who you have blogged about. What a wonderful relationship you had. I remember you going to the Canine Festival too. What an amazing man he was. Thank you for your wishes. Happy New Year!

Heidrun Khokhar, KleinsteMotte said...

What a beautiful account of a loving relationship and both of you look like fun entertainers. Thanks for sharing this hear warming stage of your life.