Wednesday, May 24, 2023

We are Tree Lovers

 
Photo from 2 weeks ago, our  the tree in the middle is ours,  the tree on the right is on the other side of the fence in neighbor's yard.
Friday AM we heard chain saws and much to our dismay there were tree monkeys in the tree taking it down.


Lunch time it was like this 
and when they were done like this.
they left and we thought the next day they would take the stump down.
Saturday at noon I heard Chain Saws again.
the large tree just over the peaked roof, with vines hanging down to it?
That is the neighbors front yard tree.
Tree monkey were sawing limbs like mad.


The trees were beautiful and healthy, and we could not think why they were taking them down.
We did a lot of mumbling and grumbling because we love trees, all trees and all the trees in our block were the reason we bought the house in 1989.
Suddenly a loud knock on the door and the neighbor was standing there. He said, they are in your tree taking off alll the limbs that are hanging over my yard, and they offered to trim your side for a really good price.
I stepped outside because i did not want Bob to know they were IN OUR 100-year-old oak tree with SAWS. I said to the neighbor, we love that tree and Florida law says you can cut limbs over your property legally but
when my husband finds out he will have a   s**t fit and you do not want to hear that. Yes I said that.
I said why are you taking down all your trees?
he said we don't want the limbs to fall on our fence. 
To me that is like saying, I think I will burn my house, so the hurricane can't blow it down.


I said, go ahead and do it but be prepared for a really unhappy and angry Bob.
He ran over under the tree and yelled up to the monkey with the saw and said STOP don't cut any more. 
Seet that part that that is over our roof at bottom left? it's gone.
the plan was to take half of the tree down.
leaving half a tree, OV VEY! 
The tree has been there longer than we have been alive, the two they took down were 
at least 50 years old.
The fence has been there, or one like it since 1989 and no limbs every fell on it.
Twice hurricane winds blew it flat, but no limbs fell.
It was a near miss.
We are tree lovers, our world needs trees, unless they are about to cause harm, rotted or dying
Trees help clean the air we breathe.
they filter the water we drink.
they provide habitats for wildlife, 
OUR OWLS live There. the barred owls, the screech owls, they sit in that tree and keep our 
yards clear of rodents. the squirrels we feed, and love live in that tree, 
Trees Absorb harmful carbons from the air.
did you know Aspirin is made from the bark of trees?

I took this for this post from our front porch. He was about to saw off that limb that goes off to the left and looks like it touches our house.
The tree is safe for now, we hope all the limbs they removed do not cause the tree to rot.
The tree is nowhere near his home.
last but no least, our power bill will skyrocket. The trees they removed shaded our roof, now the sun is blasting on us and our thermometer hanging on that end of our house said 100 degrees last night at 5 pm and the yard temp was 89 degrees. 
I close this tirade, rant, with we hate the view of that 10-foot-tall stump. 






24 comments:

CheerfulMonk said...

That is so sad!!!!

Ginny Hartzler said...

Now they are left with that big ugly stump! Are they going to take it out? What a SHAME that they got to your limbs before you saw it!! I hope they did not get at any nests. A big reason we bought our house was the huge Maple in the front yard. Sadly, we had to have it cut down because it was dying. Now there is no shade in the yard. I will always miss it. We had about three or four tree people come out, including to city, just to make SURE it was dying and needed taken down. I was hoping someone could save it.

easyweimaraner said...

it's always a litttle sad to see a healthy tree as firewood.. but sometimes we have to do things like that ... sigh..

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
Crikey, to have done that with no warning - some neighbour that is! I'm with you on the rant! YAM xx

Tigger's Mum said...

Speechless. Some people should live in concrete multistorey apartments and leave real homes with real gardens and real trees for those who appreciate them. You would love the gardens here in our Ashburton holiday place. F

Ann said...

That is just crazy and their reasoning just doesn't make sense if the trees are healthy. I would much rather have trees around my house

David M. Gascoigne, said...

Your neighbour is lucky he is still alive. What a travesty. To list all the benefits we derive from healthy trees, let alone the visceral emotional satisfaction, would require another half hour. It's sad that you have to live next door to such a brain-dead, moronic idiot.

eileeninmd said...

Hello,
it seems weird they left that huge stump! They could have at least given you a warning earlier that they were going to be in your tree cutting branches.
We are tree lovers too, it is sad to see healthy trees cut down. Take care, enjoy your day!

Mevely317 said...

Ugh. That sounds so inconsiderate!
'Thought for a minute it was the electric company's doing like here a few months ago -- trimming limbs that interfere with the power lines.

We've a love/hate relationship with what Tom calls our 'witches tree.' The poor limb ko'd by a recent windstorm is still hanging there, like a dead body in a noose, until the tree people have time to come take it away. I loved that tree.

My Mind's Eye said...

Oh my word I'm so sorry. It appears to me that stump left standing like that will be an open invitation to kiddos to climb up and that would be a real problem.
Hugs Cecilia

Chatty Crone said...

THAT BREAKS MY HEART!

I would be so mad. I don't get it!

DawnTreader said...

How utterly un-neighbourly of them to start sawing on your tree too without having asked you about it FIRST!!! As for their own trees I suppose they can do as they like, but I also totally understand that you miss those as well.

photowannabe said...

Oh good grief!!!
How awful.Cutting only half the tree is potential for more fallin on the fence than leaving it alone.
I treasure the shade and all that trees do for how we live.
We just went through the cutting trees process but it was totally in agreement with each other (neighbors) The roots were getting into our watering systems and theirs too.
I sure don't understand why they left such a huge stump standing..talk about ugly and now no privacy..Bob probably blew a gasket over all of this and I don't blame him.
Sue

The Adventures of the LLB Gang said...

So very sad.....

Susan Kane said...

I am angry for you and your tree! Isn't it required that neighbors receive notice of extensive trimming/slashing before the action? There has to be some legal stuff to do. Such a beautiful tree deserves another 50 years.

♥♥ The OP Pack ♥♥ said...

Oh, that is so sad. The neighbor should have at least told you BEFORE they started what was going to happen. Maybe a compromise could have been worked out. Such a shame to take out that big tree.

Brian's Home Blog said...

You probably just identified the idiots who ran over the duck.

DUTA said...

Neighbors can sometimes be as bad as enemies. Sad about the trees, and about your feelings as a result of the cuting off.

Anonymous said...

What a waste! We have neighboring trees that shade the west side of our house. Fortunately, our new neighbors are tree lovers and have assured us the live oaks by our northwest side or not at risk. Hoping the azaleas adjacent to our south west property line will remain in place, too. If not, we won't grumble. If you don't own it you don't control it!

Grandma C said...

WOW! I have so many mixed feelings because I am a tree lover too.
Sadly at the request of my realtor, I had to remove 2 pretty but aging invasive trees in our front yard. I am sure it gave my obsessive leaf blowing neighbor
great joy to see them gone. In my next home only the dangerous trees will be removed and replaced with something that will give great joy to us and the birds.
I give you 5 Stars for your post in defense of all trees.

I am happy to see so many tree fans out there! Go TREES!

Inger said...

You said it all in this post. I'm outraged and, as you know, I'm nowhere near you. What happened when Bob found out?

Breathtaking said...

Hi Sandra :=)
It's regretful that some people don't value trees.I'm so sorry you are left with a stump to look at.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

That certainly is an ugly sight, Sandra, after the severe trimming(?). It makes me also wonder why the whole thing wasn't removed. It really it quite an eyesore and understandably makes you angry to see it daily.

Debby@Just Breathe said...

So sorry about that tree. Yes, trees are very important. We should be planting trees for climate change, not taking them down.