Saturday, June 24, 2023

Palmetto Historical Park-Post office 1880

 


The post office 
Palmetto Historical Park  source of this information

 Heritage Station is Palmetto’s first free-standing post office. It was built for Mrs. Mary Nettles, Palmetto’s 2nd and 4th Postmaster, who served 1880-1889 and again 1893-1897. During her service and through the turn of the century, mail destined for Palmetto traveled first by rail to Cedar Key, then 125 miles south by steamer and into the Manatee River to Palmetto.

Each March on Heritage Day, Heritage Station is open for business from 10:30 a.m. until 3:00 p.m. All mail posted through the antique post office is hand cancelled with a special cancellation used only on that day at this place.


The post office is full of symmetry for symmetry Saturday, and even more when the sun is shining



13 comments:

Ginny Hartzler said...

It is lovely, and so fancy. It looks like a dollhouse. Great shadows, too. One would never guess it is a post office.

Ann said...

Such an attractive building and I love the railing. It also makes some great shadow.
I wonder how busy they get on Heritage Day with people wanting to have their mail sent from there.

eileeninmd said...

Hello,
The post office is a beautiful building, I like the first shadow shot and the last photo with the porch! Take care, enjoy your day!

Brian's Home Blog said...

That's a cool little office, love the shadows!

My Mind's Eye said...

YOU KNOW I love the reflections in photo #2 and the gorgeous wood craftsmanship on the porch
Hugs Cecilia

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

I agree with the previous comments that this building did not look like a post office to me as well, but a nice little home with an inviting front porch. I wondered if there were any chairs there years ago for people to sit awhile.

Mevely317 said...

More cool shadow shapes!
That front door looks so much like that of my kindergarten classroom. (I've forgotten much of what I learned in school, but that memory's cemented.)

PS - For some reason, neither of your blogs is showing in my reader. Bogger is being weird. Again.

photowannabe said...

Like everyone else has said, I love the symmetry too. Perfect shadows. I have to admit I probably would stand in line to get my letter stamped there. Love those kind of things and memories.
Sue

Susan Kane said...

What a charming town, with great traditions! Reminds me of places from my youth in a small town.

Rose said...

I love how neat and tidy the place looks!

Chatty Crone said...

I love that post office - put a chair to sit and you could take a rest after getting the mail.

DeniseinVA said...

I love these old places, and the railing is so very nice.

Betty Manousos said...

such a pretty post office! what an inviting front porch as well. love your images. xoxo