![]() |
| Missy, Mama's Girl |
I Love Missy, the female mottled duck that dropped into my life on April 4, 2026 and on July 4th left and has not been seen since.
She and her fellow Mister, gave me 90 days of Fun and love.
Can your find the ducks? look in the center by the rocks. This is the Bird Buffet, caused by 6 years of drought. The perfect environment for birds.
You might not know, that wild ducks follow a routine, the same exact routine every day. At sundown, they float huddled in the middle of Duck Haven Pool Pond
At first Light, they chase each other around the pool, and just before daybreak, they stand on the top step, Staring at the spot the sun comes up, and when the sky is white, they waddle to the Oil Pan Oasis and eat seeds of the grass, dip beaks in water pan, and wander to the other end of the yard, to graze eating, grass, seeds and dirt.
Next they jump in the pool, bathe and wave wings, climb out on steps to preen and are gone until some time around 10 they come home for lunch and siesta by one of our 4 duck/bird oasis pans.
They were in and out, at 10 and 2 and gone till dark.
They joy and laughter they brought came from their daily antics. Missy would come to the door and peck and then jabber talk, Bob would yell, your girl is at the door and when I went out to talk to her, she chattered back. She had 3 different calls, she chattered to me, making prrrp prrp prrp sounds. A long loud QUACK was a call for Mister to come to her.. He would leave the yard and a Quack would bring him right away.
We found that ducks do not land in the pool, they drop out of the sky butt first, with a splash like a rocket returning from space, one day while I was clearing debris from the pool
Missy was alone and had been, standing in the oil pan oasis she emitted 3 Reall Loud Quacks! Mister had been gone for hours.
I was shocked and splashed with water when suddenly Mister dropped from the sky like a rock, Swam to the lip of the pool, climbed out and walked over to her and put his wings on his hips and said WHAT! I know it because I saw it and heard it.
I burst into laughter, since I recognized the same Attitude Bob used to use on me when he was in his workshop and I called out to him to come.
Bob was sitting in his wheel chair by the pool, Mister did his drop from the sky, he just materialized and dropped, we never saw him coming. Bob burst into laughter too
3 weeks ago, we got a 15 minute hard rain, 2 inches
the backyard flooded to the edge of the deck, dirt floated, it was a huge mud puddle.
This photo was taken out the window and the water had gone down a little and I could not find them. Looking out the window, I realized that they were laying down in the mud, and diving their heads under the sludgy mud. I stood for half an hour watching them in their mud spa/bath describing to Bob what they were doing.
Yes, they washed off in the pool which was a real floor show for me.
Two weeks before the 4th of July, everything changed, before that week, they came and went together.
For 10 weeks,
The ducks were at the door,
sitting on the lip of the pool,
![]() |
| view from our breakfast bar at lunch |
they were always standing/sitting on the lip to the pool,
and for 3 weeks she did not leave the yard.
Mister came and went, gone for hours at a time, but came if she quacked.
she sat on the fake nest, with no eggs and waited.
She would QUACK and he would come.
He came home each night to sleep in the pond with her.
The week before the 4th, she called and called and he would not come, he came at night to sleep, but no matter how she called he did not come.
My heart hurts for her and I spent a lot of time talking to her.
One day, I said, Missy I am thinking he is cheating on you. I came inside and asked AI Do Mottled Ducks mate for life?
NOPE! just for 3 months, while she has Babies, then the Male moves on, never to return, and yes, if he finds another female he starts all over again. It is my opinion that Mister was cheating, before he got his divorce.
The night of the 4th of July One of our neighbors chose to do fireworks in his yard that sounded like D Day, of WWIII for 5 hours.
Since that night, we have not seen Missy or Mister, or seen any birds or other wild life. Even the lizards are gone.
I am sad for me, glad they are off doing whatever they do.
They were a huge part of my life. AI says they maybe come back home, next year in January. They have been known to remarry.










28 comments:
That is so sad that they both departed the area, I know how entertaining they can be and become like family. Hopefully one or both will return some day. Big hugs from all of us.
Many people don’t realize how fireworks can throw off the natural rhythms of birds. I always feel bad for them, and for wildlife in general, during the Fourth of July and New Year’s Eve. Sandra, you really were gifted such a perfect area - your home and pool to watch their quirky little lives from morning waddles to evening splashes, and they gave you and Bob plenty of simple joys and laughs. I loved hearing those stories and hope at least one of them comes back.
I LOVE YOUR STORY. I hate they left. I hate fireworks around the house too - what about fires and all - especially with the temperatures. Go to the park.
I hope they come back. I hope that other animals come. I think they will. It gives you and Bob some good times.
Interesting story how the ducks come in and land butt first!
Oh girl, I'm practically in tears. I don't pretend to understand nature, except that goodbyes like this hurt. Wherever they are, I hope life is treating them kindly. ❤️
Oh my that's so sad. What a story though. You are the master story-teller Sandra.
I pray they return since they have been such wonderful therapy for you. Doesn't it make you wonder what the Lord has in store for you and your watching pleasure?
(((hugs)))
Sue
What wonderful stories!!! They are so sweet. I just loved reading this, like a chapter from a wildlife book. I just KNOW she will come back! And maybe with a second husband!
No, no, they can't do that!! I was wrapped up in their love story and now this. I looked it up and they are not hooked up for life, like geese do. Missy will return. She knows a good deal when she sees it..
Hari OM
Awwwwwwwwwww... little do those ducks know how famous and how loved they have become because they landed in the best possible haven they could! I do hope that they are both safe and living the lives intended for them. Meanwhile, thank you, Sandra, for sharing them so wonderfully with us!!! YAM xx
I am so sorry to read this. I know how special they were to you. I will be praying that maybe Missy and Mister will come back. Sending you ((HUGS))
What joy they brought you. I don't know if they return to the places where they have laid eggs and raised young. I hope so.
I love the one just outside your door!
I hope the ducks return some day. At least you have pictures to remember them by.
You must really miss her. I hope she comes back some day. ❤️
You have played a very important role in the promotion and ecology of your local native wildlife. How many people would encourage ducks in their pool? One of my commenters pointed us to a wildlife love story in Billy and Molly (https://www.bing.com/videos/riverview/relatedvideo?q=billy+and+molly+an+otter+love+story&mid=5065D1993BC0F6B856FC5065D1993BC0F6B856FC&churl=https%3a%2f%2fwww.youtube.com%2fchannel%2fUCpVm7bg6pXKo1Pr6k5kxG9A&FORM=VIRE) - you might enjoy it.
I am so sorry the ducks have "flown the coop", so to speak, but maybe they will be back. The fireworks may have scared them, and they may come back when they feel safe again. Maybe with a new mate...who knows? I know our Sand Hill Cranes come and go, and so did the CanadianGeese, while we still had water in the pond. Things change with time and weather, but I have a feeling they will be back. I'm so glad they brought such joy into your lives while they were there. One day at a time...maybe they will come back in the fall when it's cooler.
I hope that one day one of them will surprise you and you'll look out and there's another duck to watch and enjoy. Surely they will return. Take care and keep us up to date! Sweet hugs, Diane
I’m concerned to hear the fireworks scared off all the wildlife.
They were a precious couple and I’m so very glad they gave you such entertainment for so long.
If he has moved on and mated again, I hope she does the same.
We love our critters, don't we?? I'm so happy the ducks stayed as long as they did! Wonder what new blessing God has for you next?
We love our possums and I never get tired of watching them.
Love you, Sandra! I had a bit of a meltdown yesterday . I love how we pray for each other.
Hello, Sandra
I enjoy your stories and photos on your duck couple.
I am glad you saw them as much as you did, they are entertaining.
I would enjoy watching them too. I hope they are safe wherever they went too. Maybe they will return someday. Take care, enjoy your day and the new week ahead.
Their disappearance has to leave a big hole in the day. How fun it had to have been to watch them. Just from your stories I know I would have enjoyed seeing them every day. So sad that the neighbors fireworks scared them and the lizards off.
Think only of the joy they gave you, Sandra, and the consequent pleasure you provided to all of us with your story-telling of their exploits in your garden oasis. They are, after all, wild creatures and deserve the freedom to wander where they choose. But they shared their lives with you, became friends, forged connections, and that is a precious experience few will ever experience. Their star will always shine brightly in your memory. Hugs - David ❤️
I so hope they come back...or at least Missy. Maybe she will find another significant other! And maybe this time she will have ducklings! I sure did enjoy hearing about them and know how bad you miss them.
Sandra you and Double B's have kind hearts. Missy and her family were lucky to be taken in by you
Hugs Cecilia
I LOVE reading the whole story! And I just KNEW that Mister was cheating on Missy! Hopefully, Missy will come back for next mating season and an even better mate. And, off the subject. I wish home fireworks (that make noise) were made illegal with stiff penalties.
We are so glad the ducks were able to bring so much joy in the time they spent in your yard. Tigris, Styx and Lanie too!
Hi Sandra :)
They gave you so much pleasure and you gave us pleasure too sharing their stay with you and the fun way they landed in the pool and swam about. I hope Missy returns perhaps with a new partner.. Fingers crossed . In the meantime you have happy memories.
All the best
Sonjia.
Darn the fireworks. I hope they come back. They certainly brought a lot of joy with them.
They did bring so much joy and I hope they just found a tmporary home and will return next year....
Post a Comment