Monday, April 8, 2019

HOPE Chest


My neighbor spent 3 days moving out of her home. They piled and piled everything they were not taking with them on the curb. I had a blast watching whom took what. we live on a busy street. I kept saying to Bob, LOOK she just put out and ottoman with storage, NO he says repeat that several times for other items.
When this antique hope chest appeared I WANTED IT, but for WHAT was my question. I left it there.
I can see the curb in front of her house from my living room window. I noticed Traffic Had Backed up, which was my clue to run to the window to see whom was taking what.

A tiny pint size young woman had the back doors to her tiny Honda open trying to force this in the back seat. I knew it would not fit and stood watching the show, wondering why the other girl was not helping her.

She started poking her phone, I assume to get someone to come get it and I stepped on the porch and yelled HEY... you can put it on my porch and come back later.  She screamed THANK YOU and proceed to walk it end over end across my front yard, all 89 pounds of herself. She said my friend just had surgery and can't help. I will come back later with my Santa Fe.  Can I leave the two sewing machines on your porch also?
She left with my porch piled high, and I said to Bob when he came in from the park. Before you say a word I DID NOT PUT THAT ON THE FRONT PORCH. He did not even SEE it when he drove in.

Of course my FRETTER set in and I thought OH MY WORD! what is she doesn't come back, how will we get it ack to the curb.  She did come back.

17 comments:

Ginny Hartzler said...

Wow, you did your good deed for the entire month. Great work. Not only did you not get what you wanted, but you helped someone else to get it!

crafty cat corner said...

A few years ago I would have been there picking things over, I love junk even though my home is pretty clear of it.
Bob sounds like Tom, away with the fairies when it comes to noticing things, lol
Briony
x

Ann said...

People love curbside shopping. I rarely see anything worth taking and when I do I'm too chicken to stop. I don't know why, everyone does it That's a nice piece and nice of you to let her use your porch

Anni said...

It's unbelievable. We have curbside pickup with the city. You'd be astounded what is tgrown away. No doubt you coukd furnish your house.

My Mind's Eye said...

Love love it MS. I am a community watcher too.
LOL that hope chest is huge I bet the 89 lb could have fit in it.
Hugs Cecilia

eileeninmd said...

Hello,

We have to call ahead to have bulk pickup. What is the saying someone's trash is another person treasures. It was nice you to hold the items for the lady. I am glad she came back too! Happy Monday, enjoy your day!

Rose said...

Did you say sewing machines? In ways I wish you had taken pics and in ways I would be afraid to see what I missed.

Annsterw said...

LOL! I love other people discarded stuff! I would have grabbed a few things with you! Bob is a part pooper! HA! That must have been entertaining ALL DAY! HA HA! Have a great day! Annster's Domain

photowannabe said...

Love the treasures.
Love your kindness too.
It made me laugh because last week Dave and I were walking around the block and saw a heavy duty shelving unit on the driveway of the people behind us.
It didn't say free or anything so we left it but kept talking about it.
The next day on our walk it was still on the driveway with a sign that said free...
We walked back home, got our dolly. came back and trotted home with our "treasure".
That led to a clean out of our spare bedroom, getting rid of a pile of stuff and having a much more organized room.
I guess Dave and I are partners in crime.

Ruth Hiebert said...

Well, that was mighty kind of you.

The Adventures of the LLB Gang said...

How nice of you!! Plus, this way your inner snapper could get some close up pictures of it too! ;-)

Lois said...

You are so nice! I would have loved to have that beautiful chest too, but no place to put it.

DeniseinVA said...

A sweet thing to offer Sandra, it was a beautiful chest. It is something I would have liked myself but we're trying to downsize at this stage of our lives and there is no space available :(

Mevely317 said...

I never heard of 'curbside shopping' before! While in Arizona, the city did a once/month bulk-pickup; but I haven't heard of anything like that here. Whatever that bulb-looking thing on the chest, I LOVE it. I NEED it. Sigh …

Chatty Crone said...

my husband and your husband are the exact same!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That was very nice of you girl!

Debby@Just Breathe said...

Well that was very nice of you!

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Yes, Sandra, it was so nice of you to offer your place as a temporary storage spot and even better that the person did come back for the items. When we were ckearing out my mother’s hime, ai also put items on the curbside that were picked up by people. We were glad to see them find a new home too.