Saturday, November 30, 2019

Killer in the yard


Dead center of photo above is a Hawk. He is focused on one of my baby squirrels.

The squirrel was hiding in the Bird of Paradise, the foliage to thick for the wings of the Killer Hawk. I stood next to the plant, guarding the baby.


Mama Squirrel chittered, Mama MadSnapper chattered, He sat on the branch giving me the evil eye.
I won the stand off, this time. He soared off and the baby was safe.

Thanksgiving morning, as we walked Big Boy, Mister Hawk dropped out of the tree in the grass.
.
He was only about 10 or 12 feet from us. . He flew off with something, we could not tell what.

The loving couple hunt sun up to about 8 am...

We see them every time we walk Big Boy.

 I wish they ate raccoons.



12 comments:

eileeninmd said...

Hello,

They are beautiful birds and I guess they need to eat. I just do not like seeing them catch their prey. Great photos! Have a happy day!

Ann said...

Wonderful photos. I had one sittng in a tree in my back yard once. I was impressed with how long he sat there patiently watching and waiting. He flew off before he ever got anything though.
That is too bad they don't eat raccoons. I know they have to eat but baby squirrels are just too cute.

My Mind's Eye said...

Oh dear me the critter babies are at the bottom of the food pyramid in nature.
I guess the raccoons are even to feisty for the Hawk.
Happy Saturday
Hugs cecilia

My Mind's Eye said...

PS I love your need festive header

Rose said...

Oh, they do eat mice...we see them with one every so often. He is quite handsome.

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
hierarchy of species... What a handsome bird. YAM xx

Mevely317 said...

HA … I didn't see that last line coming!
Sandra, I love your tender heart. Birds of prey give me the creeps … and most of the time, I hate nature. Circle of life, my @$$!

Chatty Crone said...

I guess it is the survival of the fittest. I do love to watch National Geographic and see them swoop down and get their prey - kind of unique - I don't like them getting your little squirrel though - I do have one in my attic he can have so send him here!

photowannabe said...

Fantastic shots of that powerful creature.
The circle of life is hard to understand sometimes.
Glad you protected that little one ...
Raccoons aren't my favorite either....
I haven't heard the hawks calling off in the distance for quite a while...balance of nature gets turned around sometimes.

NanaDiana said...

Wow!Great photos!! I would guard the baby squirrels,too. I know they are a pest to many but I find them adorable. I call my son the 'squirrel whisperer' as they have always come right up to him without fear. xo Diana

Ruth Hiebert said...

These hawks are beautiful and I know they only kill to eat, but I really don't like it when they feed on my birds.

Debby@Just Breathe said...

Oh my, I'm going to be praying for those squirrels!!!