Thursday, May 12, 2022

Embarrassing Senior moment 1001

 I found the item I wanted, on one of my many trips to Home Depot. 

 The lines were long. No Problem. I LOVE SELF CHECK OUT! 

In fact, had used the self-checkout in the very same store 4 times in the past 3 days.
All self-check had lines. Long Lines Waiting.

Wait! there was ONE with no one in it.
I walk to it and read
CARDS ONLY, Start Scanning. I zipped my little flusher thingy across and the price came up and I wanted to push PAY NOW! 
I could see the total, could not find Pay now anywhere. I stuck my card in the correct spot and nothing happens, before I could look over my shoulder for a helper, a young man leaned over and tapped 
PAY NOW! and said Now put your card in.
OMW!  What an idiot. Me not the young man.
My face turned red, I rushed out of the store 
MORTIFIED!

Below is the rest of this story.

On your left is the checkout screens I used 3 times. On your top right is the Card Payments only.
Below is a  Made In PicMonkey what I saw.
there were graphics all over the screen, top and bottom, none of which could be tapped.
In the Middle in ORANGE and Gray was a 5 Inch Stripe!
Evidently it was SO BIG I could not SEE it!
I have been using self check out since the invention of it, when it first hit Walmart.
 I am a expert at it, butt I must be a BLIND expert.
NOTE TODAY SOME OF YOUR BLOG the PUBLISH BUTTON GRAYS OUT, 
CHECK YOUR SPAM, 

19 comments:

easyweimaraner said...

I'm a blind expert too ... i nealy ruined the card thing while looking for the slot... the sales person disappeared behind her check out fortress to laugh, but hey, she will become a senior too once... so well... LOL

Hootin Anni said...

100 years from now, it will make no difference. That is my motto.

Ann said...

Well if they didn't put all that other stuff all around the giant pay now button you wouldn't be distracted. This sounds like something I would do.

eileeninmd said...

Maybe the "Pay now" was too big. I am glad there are workers standing around ( ready to help you) at the self checkouts. Take care, enjoy your day!

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
...and this is an example of how it is that on the roads, no matter how much signage is put up, people will still go the wrong way!!! Crazy how the mind tricks the eye, eh? YAM xx

Rose said...

Tears in my eyes! This is priceless...and sounds exactly like something I would do.

Mevely317 said...

How nice to know I'm in good company! Pretty sure I've been having senior moments since puberty. When Tom was hospitalized I was caught trying to pull open the front doors clearly marked, "PUSH."

My Mind's Eye said...

LOL Sandra I sure do understand...some days everything is whacko. LOL Nice young man...I find that each self check out is different in all stores. Nothing is located or arranged exactly alike. That is your story and I say stick to it
Hugs Cecilia

Chatty Crone said...

Oh my goodness - I am gald to know I am not the only one who has issues with that!

Hey to let you know - Andy turned 21 in April - he graduated yesterday, has taken a job in Atlanta, and moved to an apartment a week ago in Atlanta - can you believe it - the end of an era. A lot of changes. Love, sandie

photowannabe said...

I guess we are all in the same boat.
It seems every store is a bit different and I am forever hunting for the right button or slot to push.. ACK...senior moments are getting more frequent. Well Life Marches On !!
At least you got the flusher thingy..
Sue

Ginny Hartzler said...

At our age, we ALL have moments like this! Thank goodness for the nice man, and you will never have to see him again.

Debby@Just Breathe said...

Oh, that's too cute! I love that he helped you. You didn't need to be embarrassed. I like self check out to at most places.

DawnTreader said...

Could happen to anyone. I've had my moments too. But yes, one does feel silly when it happens...!

Ruth Hiebert said...

At least you had someone to give uo a hand. I like self check out as well. It is usually faster.

The Adventures of the LLB Gang said...

Technology can be so confusing sometimes!!!

The Happy Whisk said...

You're funny. First, I go there too. Love that place. And second, last week when I was there, I couldn't figure out how to use my gift card at self-checkout.

CheerfulMonk said...

That machine wasn't well human engineered...it wasn't your fault. I'll bet the fellow was so quick to help because other people were having the same problem.

Catherine - Mixed Media Artist said...

what gets my goat is the different EFTPOS machines - some have the swipe part in quite different configurations through to the whole gadget especially the ones that have "walls" so no one can see what numbers you are pressing - such a narrow strip for your hands and the blasted numbers which you can hardly see with the "walls" ...

DeniseinVA said...

And this they tell us is progress :) We have a store recently opened up here, supermarket that is, that has no people involved. There are no people in this store!!! Can't wait to see what that's all about. We are going to it soon.